Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   whats your favorite? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/whats-your-favorite-99674/)

CaseyChadwell 10-29-2013 05:31 PM

whats your favorite?

There's a bunch of threads on here about what's your favorite deer rifle, squirrel rifle, coyote rifle, elephant rifle...what have you. How about we go with what is your favorite hunting rifle, period? What is your favorite rifle for your favorite game, and why? Give us some details, favorite load for the rifle, favorite optics for the rifle, show us some pics. If your favorite quarry is targets, whats your favorite rifle for hunting those targets.

Anna_Purna 10-29-2013 05:56 PM

My Sako 25.06 has been used to take anything from spike elk down, caribou, dahl sheep, and down home coyote and jackrabbits. I have it topped off with a Bausch & Lomb 6x24 varmint scope. I haven't shot a store bought cartridge for over 9 years now. I reload everything for it, from 75 grain hornady varmint hollow-points to 120 grain Nosler partitions, and I use Hodgdon H4831 for the propellant of them all.
I don't target shoot with it anymore, but have been known to embarass all my friends up here when we are taking turns shooting at things across the canyons. From now on I generally have to wait last to get the shot.
If I could only own one gun in my life, or if there was a fire and I could only save one gun, it would be this one:
http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/...ps67f6a3ea.jpg

chloeshooter 10-29-2013 06:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Remington 700 ADL in 30-06 (1997), with an aftermarket Timney trigger. Topped off with a Nikon Buckmaster scope.This is my rifle for any big game in the lower 48 states. It is primarily used for deer. It is a deer killer not a bench rest gun. Decent carry weight, ammo can be found anywhere, lots of accessories available if you need them

Nothing fancy here, this gun likes Remington Corelockt 150 grain ($19 for 20). Have tried more expensive ammo, boat tail slugs, you name it. They all pretty much shoot the same. While this gun can shoot a decent sub MOA group, what it does BEST is hit exactly where I aim when it is cold (ie, reality when you are hunting).

Pictured is said rifle next to 220 yard target on a day when winds were gusting at 20 mph. I shot the same distance that day with my AR (223/5.56 55 grain) and that round got blown all over the map.

Close second is my new Remington 783 in .270 Winchester. Have not taken game with it yet but one of my sons will be carrying that in a couple of weeks and so far it shoots paper real well (3/8 inch group w/ 140 gr)

squirrelhunter 10-29-2013 06:06 PM

Sorry,I don't have a favorite,I love all my guns equally ;).
If it goes "bang" there's an equal place in my heart for it :D.
( That way none get jealous :p. )

Jagermeister 10-29-2013 06:08 PM

5 Attachment(s)
CZ-550 Synthetic chamber in .308 Winchester. The rifle is a Mauser 98 action. Meopta Meostar 3-12x56r with illuminated dot. Reload with Lead free Barnes X 130 grain bullets. I hunt Russian and German boar, Roe deer, red deer, chamois, fallow deer and mouflon with this rifle.

CaseyChadwell 10-29-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anna_Purna (Post 1417036)
My Sako 25.06 has been used to take anything from spike elk down, caribou, dahl sheep, and down home coyote and jackrabbits. I have it topped off with a Bausch & Lomb 6x24 varmint scope. I haven't shot a store bought cartridge for over 9 years now. I reload everything for it, from 75 grain hornady varmint hollow-points to 120 grain Nosler partitions, and I use Hodgdon H4831 fr the propellant of them all.
I don't target shoot with it anymore, but have been known to embarass all my friends up here when we are taking turns shooting at things across the canyons. From now on I get I generally get the last shot.
If I could only own one gun in my life, or if there was a fire and I could only save one gun, it would be this one:
http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/...ps67f6a3ea.jpg

That's some passion right there!!! :-). Great looking rifle Anna!

CaseyChadwell 10-29-2013 06:16 PM

I'm going to have to go with my howa 223 bull barrel. That rifle flat shoots everything I've fed it really well, especially my favorite deer cartridge the fusions. With that said, it hasn't had the chance to feed me yet, but season opener is in a couple of weeks and I plan to have her in the stand with me well before the sun comes up!

Next would have to be my TriStar 12 gauge semi auto with a 20inch barrel and interchangeable chokes. I took her out turkey hunting the other evening, but couldn't get any to come into range. But she patterns pretty good and is soft on the shoulder compared to a pump gun. Plan to throw a scope on it in a couple days and use it for a slug gun for deer season too for a couple of the stands where there is too much brush for my 223.

Anna_Purna 10-29-2013 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaseyChadwell (Post 1417048)
That's some passion right there!!! :-). Great looking rifle Anna!

Thank you,Casey. Did I ever tell ya I can see the moons of Jupiter with that scope? :D

nchunt101 10-29-2013 07:19 PM

I am gonna say my mid sixties vintage Remington 700 ADL in .243 Winchester. It has become my go to truck gun and loved 100 gr Corelokts. Best $250 I have ever spent.

bamashooter68 10-29-2013 09:35 PM

I own 20+ guns of all kinds. I would have to say my favorite is my 580 series mini-14 that my wife bought me for Christmas in 2007. Its had many upgrades including an accustrut and a trigger job. With my handloads its a solid shooter and I have killed deer, coyote, raccoon, and a lot of paper with it. It isn't the best or most accurate gun I own by far but my girl bought it for me.