Whats is the smallest humane round to hunt Elk - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Whats is the smallest humane round to hunt Elk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 03:53 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2032 Times on 1118 Posts
Likes Given: 1350

I have only elk hunted twice. I have not had a shot that I would take yet. Only saw one. And it was running. However I hunt from a camp with a bunch of friends. Most of us use a 30/06. But I helped one of the other guys track a cow. He shot it with a 7mm mauser. He said it looked like a good shot. We found a nice little puddle of blood where he shot it. But we tracked it for 4 hours. We ended up down in a steep canyon. I mean really steep. We followed it into a creek. Never found it. He went back again the next morning. He never found it. As we were moving back up that terrible hill breaking brush and taking one step at a time, he turned to me and said, "Man, I wish I had brought my 30-06 instead." Lesson learned. I would go 30/06 or bigger.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:08 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 283 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
I have only elk hunted twice. I have not had a shot that I would take yet. Only saw one. And it was running. However I hunt from a camp with a bunch of friends. Most of us use a 30/06. But I helped one of the other guys track a cow. He shot it with a 7mm mauser. He said it looked like a good shot. We found a nice little puddle of blood where he shot it. But we tracked it for 4 hours. We ended up down in a steep canyon. I mean really steep. We followed it into a creek. Never found it. He went back again the next morning. He never found it. As we were moving back up that terrible hill breaking brush and taking one step at a time, he turned to me and said, "Man, I wish I had brought my 30-06 instead." Lesson learned. I would go 30/06 or bigger.
Breaks my heart when I hear stories like this. My bud had a similar story, he shot the Monarch of the woods but couldn't find it. He got a crew together and searched the next dacoot no avail. Caused him to wonder if greatness would always elude him. Broke his heart...

Unlike your friend, he chose well. - he had a 30-30 n 35 Rem - Marlin, he took the 35 Rem. And he took some comfort in that. For him, it was a mystery.