whats to long of a shot? - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > whats to long of a shot?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2009, 02:14 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 58 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Default Kill zone

I think if you want a quick, clean kill you need to shrink your kill zone down to 6 inches. You may kill at a 10 inch zone but on the outer extremes it probably won't be quick at 300 yds.

Old 12-11-2009, 04:38 PM   #12

Well speaking to the chest region of a deer and imagining a paper plate size area which is 10" you would hit the lungs and or the heart which is all the average hunter is looking for at any range and will provide just as clean of a kill at any given range. But by all means, aim small, miss small. If you are looking for a 6" target area even better, it will further ensure a good hit.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:18 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Long shots

Interesting thread and comments. One dear to my heart. The problem as I identify it is the average hunter, whom you guys seem to be addressing here, couldn't tell you how far any deer is at any range. Keeping it at 250 yds. is a good suggestion because modern "Mags" will shoot pretty much dead on like shooting down a pipe at that range. Just shoot the deer, no hold over and such. Unless the wind is howling, it wont matter either. However, under good conditions and with some understanding of your weapon, longer shots are not difficult with a nice firearm. I would encourage anyone to rangefind these shots in advance of seeing something to shoot, not just guess at it. Many of you mentioned shooting at extreme ranges but I know you will agree that looking over a meadow, a valley, and other vista's can be very deceiving. We practice at 300 and I know the gun out to 400 but you just have to think about the shot, your rest, the wind, even if you know the yardage to perfection(laser rangefinder). I missed one at 280 this year and I can only blame myself. Hell, I would love to say I never miss, but you know I would be lieing! Bottom line, practice, be sure of the range beyond 300, and have all the other variables worked out before you squeeze the trigger.

Alvah

Old 12-18-2009, 01:56 AM   #14

This year i made a 275 yard shot on a whitetail buck, wit my 270, i had a cross wind of about 30mph, I only took the shot because I know what my rifle and me can and can not do.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:55 AM   #15

Well I want to thank all of you for your input I did get a shot this year it was about 300 yards and was a clean kill so I am very satisfied with the gun and my own performance with it. But again thank you all for alot of good advice.