Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   whats to long of a shot? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/whats-long-shot-20467/)

howquig 11-26-2009 02:09 PM

whats to long of a shot?

ok Guys I am hunting with a Rem 700 in 270 win. the place I use to hunt the longest shot I had would be around 150 yards but my new spot I have a clear view for around 600 yards so was just wondering what would be the longest shot you would attempt with such a rifle?

spittinfire 11-26-2009 02:23 PM

I think the question here is what can you actually hit at 200, 300, 500 yards? If you hit the deer right, I think a 270 would drop it at 500 yards, IF you can hit it. The only time I've shot 500 yards is in the Marines, the range goes from 300 to 500 and let me tell you, it's a HUGE difference. If you don't practice at 500 yards on a regular basis, don't take the shot. If you don't practice at 300, don't take the shot.
Also, do you know how your rifle patterns at 300 and 500? There are a lot of factors that go into these long distance shots that don't matter at 100.

howquig 11-26-2009 03:23 PM

My longest shot has been 425 yards with my 30-06 but I have not had a chance to try any long shots with the .270 so I was just wondering how far out it was good to

spittinfire 11-27-2009 11:14 AM

Try this, 270 Winchester Ballistic Table

should give you an idea, it has drop, velocity and energy with carious bullet weights. I think your safe with a similar shot using your 270.

cpttango30 11-27-2009 02:10 PM

If you can hit a 10" pie pan at 500 yards you may be ok.

Not sure why you would want to target shoot at animals though?

I wouldn't take a deer at 300 yards even though I can routinely hit whistle pigs at that distance. The rifles are different and the bullets and vitals are different. My 223 will blow a softball sized hole in a ground hog at 300 yards. My 30-06 will not do that to a deer at 300. There are people on this board I am sure could do it if they had to because they have the skill and the equipment to do it as well......

Just shot within your limit and be safe. It is better to have a DRT at 100 yards than a 500 yard shot that results in a wounded deer.

To long of a shot for you I would say is anything over 200.

masterPsmith 11-27-2009 02:23 PM

Most hunters cannot properly judge distance beyond 200 yards, if that. Especially when it comes to flat country verses, valleys, up and down and hill top to hill top. Most hunters also would not be able to make a 300 yard shot. I've known hunters throughout the years that claim to have made the long shots on deer (400 - 500 yards), but when challenged to make a measured 300 yard shot, when out shooting, failed to do so. I am no slouch with a rifle or handgun, but I limit my rifle shots to within 250 yards or so when hunting. For clean, humane kills, I would challenge all hunters to do the same.

Just my 2-cents.................

Jim......................

JonM 11-27-2009 02:25 PM

the only time i would ever shoot an animal longer than 200 yards would be if i was going to starve to death if i didnt take the shot. i like target shooting long range but shooting an animal that far... i dont think i would risk wounding a critter on a normal trip at long range. i have a rifle and scope capable of reaching out to 1000+ yards but its not a hunting weapon. with hunting loads i doubt i could hit MOA past 300 yards with it.

personally i think a good range for hunting with a rifle is around 200 yards max

300 yards if you practice a lot and know your weapon. 1 MOA at 300 yards is a 3inch circle. thats a hard thing to do with hunting rounds.

Typical_08 11-27-2009 04:49 PM

Too long a shot in my book depends on the person. How accurate can the person be at what distance? What type of ammo are they using? The list goes on and on. In my book it is not too long a shot if the ammo still preforms as intended, and the shot is still well placed. I don't want to sound like a treehugger or anything here, but if you have to respect the animal you are harvesting. Respecting it means you put it down quickly and as painlessly as possible.

Silvertip 44 12-01-2009 03:24 AM

Two hundred is about maximum. Even though many of us can group well at longer ranges off the bench, that is not the standard condition we will be hunting.
I did take a head shot at a doe couple of weeks ago off a stand rest bar aiming at the eye. The bullet hit in the front corner of the eye at 147 paces.
One thing is certain, head shots result in no tracking and destroys no meat.

Bohica6-284 12-10-2009 08:29 PM

As others have said your ability is as important as the rifle and caliber you are using. On deer sized game you have about a 10" vital area for a clean kill. So go practice with the load you want to use at those ranges and see what you can do on a target. Honestly, for hunting, keep it realistic like 300 yards or less. I have shot up to 1200yds in competition and mu longest shot made on an animal was just a groundhog in PA. It was a 506yd shot on a large hog, no wind, warm barrel and I knew exactly what my rifle and bullet would do, the rest was up to me. On a groundhog, you pretty much either make a kill shot or you just miss so I wasn't concerned with the distance. On a deer, it's easy to wound one and go on a tracking expedition!
On a side not, the caliber you have is extremely capable at those ranges and a quality bullet will penetrate and expand just fine when it gets there.