What's a good "step up" gun?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > What's a good "step up" gun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2009, 06:27 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What's a good "step up" gun?

I've shot .22s and pellet guns and now I'm looking to get a larger caliber rifle that would be a step up in power from smallbores but not a rhino killer (I'd prefer not to relocate my shoulder after each shot). I'd basically just use it for target shooting and plinking and I want something that has a little more "oomph", is rugged, easy to maintain, and plentiful ammunition. Any reccomendations. If there are any shooters in California, I live near a Gun Exchange and a Big 5

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-09-2009, 07:29 AM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Well since you like .22s why don't you try out a .223 rifle like an AR-15, Kel-Tec SU-16, or Mini-14?

It's more umf and would be perfect for a .22 guy since if you have a boar snake or rods for a .22 then you could clean it with the same items.

If not that and you want something bigger.

I would go with an SKS or AK-47.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:46 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I would say if you are looking for a rifle that is fun, kind of cheap & with lots of ammo there are several choices.

An AK shoots a 7.62 x 39mm round. They are pretty cheap, pretty plentiful and right now there is ammo all over for them, but you should plan on buying in bulk.

An AR-15 shoots 5.56 x 45mm round, closer in recoil to your .22lrs. Not real punishing at all, definitely an all day shooter. Lots of ammo available, even now, but again, plan on buying in bulk.

For a bolt action rifle there are a lot of great choices. A .223 chambered rifle would be a good choice. A .308 would be a good choice as well.

What do you want the weapon to do? What are your tastes and what are you thinking about getting?

JD

Old 08-09-2009, 08:02 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I sent you a PM.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-10-2009, 03:29 AM   #5

This will actually be the first gun that I've ever gotten and mostly I want something that I can plink with. The AR-15 is nice in terms of weight and accuracy, but I think I might look for a semiauto AK just because they are much simpler and need less cleaning. Plus, I've seen bananna clips on AR-15s and the like and I don't really like the way that they look.
& btw, CA, I got your PM

Old 08-10-2009, 03:37 AM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Okay.

So?

You are going for an AK afterall??

You should probably post a thread in the AK section asking about what is, and what is not, a good deal on Ak's.

I am afraid that is not an area of expertise for me...

JD

Old 08-10-2009, 04:03 AM   #7

yeah. Unless, of course, the ATF decides to send some stormtroopers to my house for expressing interest in "destructive devices"

Old 08-10-2009, 04:31 AM   #8

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman View Post
yeah. Unless, of course, the ATF decides to send some stormtroopers to my house for expressing interest in "destructive devices"
Yea...

There will be a knock on your door within 30 hours. That SUV behind you on the way to work will not be me. Keep up with your daily activities like nothing is going on. It's better that way...

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 08-12-2009, 05:22 PM   #9

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman View Post
This will actually be the first gun that I've ever gotten and mostly I want something that I can plink with. The AR-15 is nice in terms of weight and accuracy, but I think I might look for a semiauto AK just because they are much simpler and need less cleaning. Plus, I've seen bananna clips on AR-15s and the like and I don't really like the way that they look. & btw, CA, I got your PM
If you are in California, you may have a ton of trouble getting an AR / AK. I think California has banned those from civilian ownership. The following is a list of arms that have been declared "assault weapons" and are verboten in the People's Republik of Kalifornia. I don't see Mini-14 on the list, but there is probably another list somewhere that includes them as well. You have fewer rights than the rest of us. How does it feel?

I left California in 1980 during the reign of Governor Moonbeam and the Rose Bird Supreme Court. I could see this stuff coming down, and I was right.

Good luck.

12275 thru 12290 Assault Weapons - Dangerous Weapons Control Laws - Bureau of Firearms - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General
12276. As used in this chapter, "assault weapon" shall mean the following designated semiautomatic firearms: (a) All of the following specified rifles: (1) All AK series including, but not limited to, the models identified as follows: (A) Made in China AK, AKM, AKS, AK47, AK47S, 56, 56S, 84S, and 86S. (B) Norinco 56, 56S, 84S, and 86S. (C) Poly Technologies AKS and AK47. (D) MAADI AK47 and ARM.

(2) UZI and Galil.
(3) Beretta AR-70.
(4) CETME Sporter.

(5) Colt AR-15 series.

(6) Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max 1, Max 2, AR 100, and AR110 C.
(7) Fabrique Nationale FAL, LAR, FNC, 308 Match, and Sporter.
(8) MAS 223.
(9) HK-91, HK-93, HK-94, and HK-PSG-1
(10) The following MAC types: (A) RPB Industries Inc. sM10 and sM11. (B) SWD Incorporated M11.
(11) SKS with detachable magazine.
(12) SIG AMT, PE-57, SG 550, and SG 551.
(13) Springfield Armory BM59 and SAR-48.
(14) Sterling MK-6.
(15) Steyer AUG.
(16) Valmet M62S, M71S, and M78S.
(17) Armalite AR-180.
(18) Bushmaster Assault Rifle.
(19) Calico M-900.
(20) J&R ENG M-68.
(21) Weaver Arms Nighthawk.

(b) All of the following specified pistols: (1) UZI. (2) Encom MP-9 and MP-45. (3) The following MAC types: (A) RPB Industries Inc. sM10 and sM11. (B) SWD Incorporated M-11. (C) Advance Armament Inc. M-11. (D) Military Armament Corp. Ingram M-11. (4) Intratec TEC-9. (5) Sites Spectre. (6) Sterling MK-7. (7) Calico M-950. (8) Bushmaster Pistol. (c) All of the following specified shotguns: (1) Franchi SPAS 12 and LAW 12. (2) Striker 12. (3) The Streetsweeper type S/S Inc. SS/12.
(d) Any firearm declared by the court pursuant to Section 12276.5 to be an assault weapon that is specified as an assault weapon in a list promulgated pursuant to Section 12276.5.
(e) The term "series" includes all other models that are only variations, with minor differences, of those models listed in subdivision (a), regardless of the manufacturer.
(f) This section is declaratory of existing law, as amended, and a clarification of the law and the Legislature's intent which bans the weapons enumerated in this section, the weapons included in the list promulgated by the Attorney General pursuant to Section 12276.5, and any other models which are only variations of those weapons with minor differences, regardless of the manufacturer. The Legislature has defined assault weapons as the types, series, and models listed in this section because it was the most effective way to identify and restrict a specific class of semiautomatic weapons.
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 08-12-2009, 06:28 PM   #10

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I live in Los Angeles CA. and built a 223 semi auto rifle. There are certain rules in CA that have to be followed. The build I did was on an AR platform, but I think the same can be done with the AK. Keep in mind the AK (7.62) has a lot more recoil then the AR (.223), and a lot more cost for the ammo. I’d suggest the AR for a first gun. I’ll post a pic to show a CA approved configuration. Feel free to PM me if you want more info.

ebr-006.jpg