What's A Good Scope For A Mosin Nagant 91-30? - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > What's A Good Scope For A Mosin Nagant 91-30?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 08:43 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
OK, 1969 step-side Chevy pickup then.

I tried to get satisified with a scope mount on my SKS, but it just wasn't designed for a scope, so i resigned myself to enjoying it as it was designed, mostly.
Hmmmm.... I wonder... $130 and I could pickup the leather caps if they weren't included on ebay for $30...

"Only an armed people can be truly free. Only an unarmed people can ever be enslaved." - Aristotle

Old 11-30-2012, 03:36 AM   #42

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdavis4296 View Post
You can see through the JMECK. You don't have to drill and tap either.
I've been busy and haven't had a chance to order my mount yet. Two questions though about the JMECK. Does it require you to bend the bolt? A lot of pics I have looked at seem to show this. Also does it negatively effect scope eye relief in the spot it needs to be mounted at?

"Only an armed people can be truly free. Only an unarmed people can ever be enslaved." - Aristotle

Old 12-04-2012, 09:35 PM   #43

Liked 56 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 44

As nice as that gun looks, it doesn't mAtter when or where it was made. I wouldnt do anything that can't be reversed. Buy another bolt body and have it modified. Buy a replacement rear sight mount and permannetly mount a rail to it then get a decent LER scope on it. I got a brass tacker and was not impressed. If you do everything as per instructions there is still play between the screws and the holes. I did put it on my junkiest MN then filled the ovulated holes in the mount with Epoxy, that seemed to fix it but for how long, who knows <<<Mickey Mouse.
You are more than likely gonna have to do some floating and shiming of the action. Don't be suprised if your best group is less than satisactory when shooting milsurp ammo. Not to say you shouldnt use milsurp to bring your accuracy to a point but keep in mind it will shoot better with more modern, consistant ammo. This is where I am with my project Mosin. I still have some tweaking to do before I start putting the good stuff down the tube. Bedding and shimming is the most indecisive steps to accurize with a 28 1/2 inch barrel. I also advise aganst all the quick fixes on the trigger as they are unsafe unless you completely understand the system. I bought a Timney (money well spent), along with getting a trigger that breaks like glass, you get a very handy, easy to use, reliable safety.
There are alot of advisers in this forum that have no business giving advice and a few that really know what they are talking about, be careful who you listen to.
Enjoy your Mosin, Shoot Safe, Watch out or Mosinitis.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Last edited by dteed4094; 12-04-2012 at 09:39 PM.
ryevick Likes This 
Old 12-05-2012, 03:31 AM   #44

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dteed4094 View Post
As nice as that gun looks, it doesn't mAtter when or where it was made. I wouldnt do anything that can't be reversed.
Yeah I was thinking that too... I may decide to just showcase it if it turns out to be as nice as I think it will be (still OTR, may not see it until after Christmas)... if I decide to use it as a goto weapon I may add the buttpad which will require screws I would imagine (can't decide whether brown or black) and a screw on the bottom side to mount a bipod... if I scope it I may go with the offset JMECK that would allow me more scope relief and the only modification it requires I believe is very light sanding for the mount strip which wouldn't be seen... so even if I do the mods to it, it wont be that much that is really being done to the original gun... I will not tap or bend the parts on it...

Old 12-05-2012, 02:45 PM   #45

Modiying a little is like being a little pregnant!

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
Paul.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:42 PM   #46

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dteed4094 View Post
Modiying a little is like being a little pregnant!
Haha, I suppose that's true... I'll have to wait until I can look at it... I may buy a second to mod...

Old 12-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #47

Liked 160 Times on 113 Posts

Is there a way to mount a scope to a mosin without altering the straight bolt handle?

Old 12-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #48

Liked 65 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 336

None .. go with the irons!

Sig P220 Equinox, Sig P239, Sig P226 Navy (MK25)
Sig P238
Glock 19, Glock 20, Glock 26, Glock 36
Springfield XD 45ACP
S&W M&P 45ACP, S&W M&P Shield 9MM
Kimber Ultra Carry II
Kimber Sapphire Ultra Carry II
Kimber Stainless Pro Raptor II
Kel Tec PF9, Kel Tec P32
Ruger SR9, Ruger SR9C
Remington 887 Nitro Mag Tactical (12g)
Stag Arms AR15 556
Ruger SR556E
SKS Chinese Norinco
Mosin Nagant 91/30 (2)
NRA Member

Old 12-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #49
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2104 Times on 1152 Posts
Likes Given: 629

Quote:
Originally Posted by potentialglock View Post
Is there a way to mount a scope to a mosin without altering the straight bolt handle?
Yes. Carefully completely remove the rear sight if it is not soldered. Utube is your friend. There are a set of groves similar to a 22lr rifle. You can either use 22lr rings or an adapter to Weaver. Use an LER/pistol scope. If you are careful it is completely reversible and does not damage the rifle.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:34 AM   #50

It's yours to do with as you wish but it is a very nice example. If you want to save yourself The decision, Buy a barreled action, Drill and tap,cut the barrel, bend the bolt and put a modern sporter stock on it. When you have finished, it will be just what you want. Keep in mind: you will have $300-$400 or more invested and it will still be a Mosin Nagant worth $150-$200. You will have gained a vast amount of knowledge, you will be able to completely strip it down with your eyes closed and you will have the satisfaction of having done it yourself. To me it is a worthwhile project and you wont look back and wish you haden't chopped up such a pristine example. Have fun, don't get discouraged.

mosin-s.jpg
Before I bent a bolt for it that I didnt need because I put a scout scope on the rear sight mount.

$90-Rifle
$25-shipping
$10-ffL fees
$60-ATI stock (not recommended)
$100- Timney trigger
$25-Extra bolt
$16-Rear sight mount
$59-Brasstacker (didnt use)
$385-Total (could have bought a nice gun)
$$Priceless-fun, experience, satisaction

Paul.

Last edited by dteed4094; 12-06-2012 at 10:51 AM.