What's a good rifle for someone who has never shot a gun before? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > What's a good rifle for someone who has never shot a gun before?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2011, 06:32 PM   #21
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2143 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 773

threadresurrectionc.jpg  

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 08-31-2011, 10:47 PM   #22

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

If you want something for self defense in the house I recommend a pump shotgun and get some training.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:39 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1208 Times on 824 Posts
Likes Given: 1220

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullsfan2822 View Post
I will mainly use it for self defense in my own house and I will go to the shooting range to learn

also nothing illegal

I am looking at this or maybe an ak47

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=8849450

NONE ; Instruction First !!!!!!!!!!

When all else fails.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:32 PM   #24

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

1) Any load that will reliably penetrate a human will penetrate SEVERAL interior walls. Learn to place your shots well and consider your fields of fire.

2) I absolutely agree on signing up for a training class. It will keep you from making uneducated firearms decisions, related to both the capabilities of the weapon and yourself. You might get talked into something that you end up hating, like I did. I was talked into a 12g for my first gun, and being a new shooter, I hated it. (and btw, take everything you hear about effectiveness of various weapons, including from your instructors, with a big grain of salt). Everyone has their biases, and sometimes they are surprisingly uneducated about modern ballistics. Here is a good read about the age-old "9mm vs .45" debate. http://joebarrett.wordpress.com/2010/07/05/9mm-versus-45-cal-you-be-the-judge-but-think-about-it-first/

3) A pistol-caliber carbine can be a very effective HD tool without breaking the bank or your ear-drums. However, an .223 carbine is one of the most versatile guns you can find. There are the obvious advantages it has outside of the realm of "typical" HD, but it is also not difficult to double- or even triple-tap a target a few yards away, and a couple of these to the chest aren't going to make a threat any less "stopped" than a 12g blast.

So, as far as my recommendation for a first rifle that will also have defensive purposes go, I'd recommend a 9mm carbine. With good ammo, it can be counted on to reliably stop a target. And 9mm is the cheapest centerfire ammo you can buy, so practicing won't break the bank. Plus, the muzzle blast and recoil will be minimal, which will allow the new shooter to concentrate on the basics rather than develop flinches and anticipation.

Last edited by Lindenwood; 09-02-2011 at 03:39 PM.