What's a good rifle for someone who has never shot a gun before? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

What's a good rifle for someone who has never shot a gun before?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2008, 03:15 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Ok lets look at this first. Before I start telling you what to get.

Rifles are not very good for home defence. They are either way over powered or under powered their is really no in between ground here. Rifle cartridges are much faster than pistol rounds. Also most rifle bullets are meant to penetrate into game animals. Penetration is not something you want a lot of in a CQB situation. Plus unless you want to get a class III rifle they are going to be a bit unwieldy in a house. About the only place you can get away with a rifle for a HD gun is if you live out in the stick and own a lot of land.
not exactly true there. alot of pros will tell you its not the weapon being used but the ammo as well as knowledge on how to use the weapon, but mpo would to get a shotgun or handgun for the first time gun owner for home defence

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 11-27-2008, 04:05 AM   #12

Mosin Nagant 7.62x54R... Just kidding! You'd probably never go near a rifle again. Seriously, I agree that a shotgun and a handgun make a nice HD package.

If Obama is the answer, then the question must have been stupid.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:13 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 60

In northern MN the neighbors often had "things" a bit heavier. Living on rural Southern Mn, most friends find the .22 or a .410 or 20 ga. appropriate for a first line of "go to gun".
Those persons who are gun people usually have a short gun of the .357, .45 or 9mm persuasion somewhere close.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:42 PM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

i personally dont think a 9mm is a good selfdefence round, too many cons go with it, such as overpenetration, if shooting hollows clothing can pack in thus not letting the bullet to expand as designed also they dont have that high of a one shot kill ratio compared to the forty's or .45's. impo

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 01-16-2009, 09:01 AM   #15

What bgeddes said.

A shotgun hands down. The mere thought of a gun battle in a dark house with a shotgun involved is scary. The guy armed with the shotgun could pretty much just fire from the hip and destroy anyone in the way.

As far as shooting it outside goes; skeet is awesome fun and builds skill.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:00 PM   #16

A bit off the original question...
Something else to keep in mind on this, to some degree, the larger size a weapon is (length of a rifle vs. length of a handgun), the easier it is for an attacker to grab it and unarm the defender, if at close quarters. Myself, I prefer a handgun for in the house, for ease of maneuverability, close range, control, etc...main thing, practice with whatever you have. Also, in general, society says if the attacker is not an immediate threat, that is, inside the house coming at you, you may be subject to arrest if you defend yourself...your laws may vary; therefore, a handgun would have plenty of range for defensive purposes. In general, unfortunately, society says its NOT OK to pick off a known bad guy at 300 meters BEFORE he causes harm...

...Random thoughts, just throwing them out there...

Old 01-16-2009, 01:05 PM   #17

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

sgtdeath posted:
Quote:
i personally dont think a 9mm is a good selfdefence round, too many cons go with it, such as overpenetration, if shooting hollows clothing can pack in thus not letting the bullet to expand as designed also they dont have that high of a one shot kill ratio compared to the forty's or .45's. impo
That statement may ring true in regards to handguns, but carbines, with their longer barrels, will give the 9mm a higher velocity than a pistol ever will. This will give the 9mm some extra knockdown power. If you're worried about the hollowpoints "clogging up" on you, then get the new Hornady defense ammo that takes care of that. A 9mm carbine will do it's job rather nicely in my opinion.

With that said, you can find carbines in many different calibers that will dwarf the 9mm in performance (i.e. .45 ACP, .40, .357 Mag, .44 Mag).

Have you tried a lever-action rifle yet? This is the icon of the American west, and is still one of the most popular rifles today. For Example, you can get a .357 Mag lever action rifle, and later you can get a .357 Mag pistol. One of the best setups to have is a rifle and pistol that share the same ammo.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:19 AM   #18

bernie:
The idea behind your comment about "picking off a known bad guy at 300 meters" or such, is why I always ask the question "why does a self-defense rifle need to be accurate past 50-100 yards (i.e. SKS versu AR-15)"?
Criminals seem to avoid revealing a hostile intention at such a distance, but I could easily be mistaken, being always in or near cities.

But back to handguns, shotguns, SKS 'Paratroopers'..

Last edited by Laufer; 01-17-2009 at 06:22 AM.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdeath66 View Post
I find this site a pretty good read with regards to hollow point expansion and penetration:

The Box O' Truth #8 - The Rags O' Truth - Page 1

I am sure most of you will have come across it before.

As for the whole home defense thing... It is illigal in Australia to shoot somone, unless they are about to shoot you, but then it begs the question, why were two men with loaded firearms doing in the first place? This is unfortunately the way my country thinks.

If I COULD have something for home defence it would be a pump action 12 guage loaded with OO buckshot, as well as a Glock 17 (I've always found them reliable) loaded with speer gold dots.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:51 PM   #20

You may want to take a look at the Beretta storm...it comes in 9mm,40 cal and 45....it is a carbine...easy to handle...40cal has 17 round mag and the mag fit Berettas 40 cal storm handgun...bought one and my wife loves it for back up home defense...Good Luck