What's a good rifle for someone who has never shot a gun before?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > What's a good rifle for someone who has never shot a gun before?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2008, 08:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What's a good rifle for someone who has never shot a gun before?

I will mainly use it for self defense in my own house and I will go to the shooting range to learn

also nothing illegal

I am looking at this or maybe an ak47

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=8849450

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-25-2008, 12:56 AM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Most rifles will be too powerful for indoor use. Unless you want to go .22, but I don't recommend that. You need to take into account what's inside your house and what's outside. If you're in condo with a shared wall, you could shoot right into your neighbor's living space. You can even do that if you're in a single family detached house. Rifle bullets travel a lot farther than pistol bullets or shot.

Consider a shotgun instead....

9x18=Makarov

Old 10-25-2008, 02:37 AM   #3

If you really want to start with a rifle, I'd suggest a .22lr from Ruger, Marlin, CZ or other major manufacturer. You can spend $10 on ammo and shoot for half a day. Great way to practice and hone your skills for something bigger in the future. A .22lr would not be an ideal home defense weapon, it's training tool to learn the proper skills.

For home defense, especially for a new shooter, a shotgun is hard to beat. You will still need to practice using it. Loaded with the right ammo, a shotgun will be the right tool for the job. For specific models, I always advise a Remington 870, or Mossberg 500. Sort of the Ford and Chevy pickup of firearms. They can be used to hunt birds to big game and then reloaded/reconfigured for protection purposes.

Best advise is to practice, practice, practice...

Old 10-25-2008, 05:36 PM   #4
Jay

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

Shoot several rifles that your INSTRUCTOR will bring to your training class. That will give you a better idea of what suits your purposes. Rifles are not generally thought of as personal protection firearms.

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 10-25-2008, 06:13 PM   #5

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Ok lets look at this first. Before I start telling you what to get.

Rifles are not very good for home defence. They are either way over powered or under powered their is really no in between ground here. Rifle cartridges are much faster than pistol rounds. Also most rifle bullets are meant to penetrate into game animals. Penetration is not something you want a lot of in a CQB situation. Plus unless you want to get a class III rifle they are going to be a bit unwieldy in a house. About the only place you can get away with a rifle for a HD gun is if you live out in the stick and own a lot of land.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:40 AM   #6

If you're looking for a rifle to learn to shoot with, I'd get a Savage 93 in .17HMR. Accurate, inexpensive and loads of fun to shoot. Just get a Mossberg 500 or a Maverick 88 for home defense.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:41 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2737 Times on 1433 Posts
Likes Given: 231

I have to disagree with the philosophy of rifles being TOO POWERFUL for HD use. Yes a .30-06 with 150 gr M-2 FMJ's will penetrate far too much for HD use. 7.62 X 39 steel core FMJ's will penetrate too much for HD use. A good reliable .223 (AR-15) loaded with light (55 gr or lighter) hollow points will penetrate less than a 9mm handgun. I have seen several people shot with light HP's in the chest from an AR and none had an exit wound. The bullet will fragment and stay in the body.
Everyone seems to use 5.56 mm FMJ's as their basis for condemning the .223. We are not in the Military and do not have to use such ammo. There are a number of very good rounds available for .223/5.56 rifles that would be perfectly appropriate for HD use.

WTS, I prefer a 12 ga pump loaded with buckshot for HD use.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:42 PM   #8

a maverick 88 short bbl. is perfect. load it with birdshot , it will take care of the bad guy with out goin through the walls and hurting someone else.

Old 10-31-2008, 05:26 PM   #9

Why do you want a rifle and not a handgun?

Old 11-27-2008, 02:35 AM   #10

Get a cheap shotgun for home defense, then get a .22 handgun or rifle for range fun. Ammo is plentiful, cheap, and most importantly, the recoil is minimal.

The last thing you want is to get a hand cannon, fire it, get scared of your own gun and end up flinching before every shot. I know guys that flex their "gun muscles" by going out and buying a .45 caliber, then going to the range and they keep shooting the paper silhouette in the family jewels.

Get a shotty for home defense (Maverick 88, Mossberg 500, Remington 870), and a couple of 22's to learn. Look at some Rugers... They are 100% reliable, inexpensive and tons of fun. A Ruger 22/45 makes a good pistol and a Ruger 10/22 makes an AWESOME rifle. Not as pretty or fancy as some, but when you need it to go BANG, it will.