Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   whats the best scope out there for a .204? 12x 14x 20x or 24x??? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/whats-best-scope-out-there-204-12x-14x-20x-24x-2618/)

remington708 11-16-2007 08:19 AM

whats the best scope out there for a .204? 12x 14x 20x or 24x???

hey everyone im going to be getting a rem sps varmint .204 in the next month or so and i was wondering what shoud be the max power on the scope i get and what scopes are good for the money...
ive looked at the leupold 3 series, the bushnell 3200.
i was looking in cabelas mag and saw that their alaskan guide scopes run 359 for the 6x20 and 319 for the 4x12, has anyone tried them?
please give me your thoughts i have to many options and i dont want to make the wrong choice....:confused:

cpttango30 11-16-2007 02:11 PM

I have a Leupold VX-II 6-18x40mm on my rem 700 223, Great scope. I also have a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x40mm on my 308. If you are looking in the $300 to $400 price range I would either get a weaver Grand slam or spend a bit more and get a Bushnell elite 4200 6-24x40mm. You could even look into Meuller scopes. I know plenty of guy that just love these scopes. I have not used one but they are in $200 range I think.

longshot 11-17-2007 03:33 AM

I would stay away from the Alaskan Guide scopes. That came straight from a Cabela's rep. I've had great luck with Nikon scopes and they are priced right.

remington708 11-17-2007 06:04 AM

well whats wrong with it...

Catfish 11-30-2007 07:03 PM

What power scope you want depend on how your going to use the gun. If it`s a carry gun and you`ll be doing some walking and shooting a moveing targets once in a while I would recomand a 3 x 9 or a 3 .5 x 10 Leupold. If it will be a target only gun and always from the bench the more power the better. If it will be mostly PD shooting a 6.5 x 14 Leupold would be a good choice.

rickrem700 12-01-2007 08:41 AM

.204 scope

Quote:

Originally Posted by remington708 (Post 11894)
well whats wrong with it...

In the world of optics you get what you pay for, ask any seasoned shooter you will get the same response, I know it is hard to swallow spending what you paid for the rifle on a scope but if you do it once the right way you will never have to do it again, and you will have quality that you will one day hand to your son or daughter, I have three fully decked out sniper rifles that are sporting 3,600 dollars worth of Leupold glass ad the rifles and accessories and your well over 8,000 dollars try and sneak that by your old lady, there are scopes out there that cost what all three of my high dollar scopes cost for one, sure there has to be a limit, you got to stop somewhere, A nice Burris or Leupold will suit your .204 just perfect and depending on your taste you should be able to get the job done for around 4-5 hundred dollars, if you are having a cash crunch then don't rule out a second hand scope, Try E-Bay or one of the firearms auction houses, people get hard presses for cash and let go of things like that everyday, I think we have all been there, sometimes you can get a hell of a deal, I have a whole vault full of rifles with used scopes and have not been unsatisfied with any of them, otherwise I would have had to mortgage the farm to scope them all, bottom line is don't buy junk

cpttango30 12-01-2007 01:08 PM

AMEN Brother Look at Nightforce scopes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickrem700 (Post 12276)
In the world of optics you get what you pay for, ask any seasoned shooter you will get the same response, I know it is hard to swallow spending what you paid for the rifle on a scope but if you do it once the right way you will never have to do it again, and you will have quality that you will one day hand to your son or daughter, I have three fully decked out sniper rifles that are sporting 3,600 dollars worth of Leupold glass ad the rifles and accessories and your well over 8,000 dollars try and sneak that by your old lady, there are scopes out there that cost what all three of my high dollar scopes cost for one, sure there has to be a limit, you got to stop somewhere, A nice Burris or Leupold will suit your .204 just perfect and depending on your taste you should be able to get the job done for around 4-5 hundred dollars, if you are having a cash crunch then don't rule out a second hand scope, Try E-Bay or one of the firearms auction houses, people get hard presses for cash and let go of things like that everyday, I think we have all been there, sometimes you can get a hell of a deal, I have a whole vault full of rifles with used scopes and have not been unsatisfied with any of them, otherwise I would have had to mortgage the farm to scope them all, bottom line is don't buy junk

remington708 12-13-2007 12:29 AM

ok thanks for the thought about the nightforce ill look into them...