Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > What's the best rifle in that price range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2008, 02:46 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What's the best rifle in that price range

I been saving for a Barrett semi automatic .50 BMG for about 4 months and got about 7 of the 9100 I need. I really want something with a little more range than my Armalite AR 10. I thought this was a easy decision but then I saw the Accuracy international's website. What should due? Please don't reply with the usual( the cost of .50 BMG ammo, where are goin shoot that thing, etc..) I want know what's most accurate and most reliable long range rifle for between $7000.00 to $11,000

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-18-2008, 05:25 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

www.cheytac.com Their guns have a longer range and are more accurate than .50 BMG, .338 Lapua or .416 Barrett. The .408 Chey-tac has the distinction of being a world record holder when fired from the company's M200 rifle.

Last edited by matt g; 03-18-2008 at 05:29 AM.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:37 PM   #3

Went on the website, WOW.. I would definetly like to purchase the M-200, one of their firing solution CU's and take the class they offer. Guess I'll have save a couple more thousand than I thought. Thanks Matt

Old 03-19-2008, 12:04 AM   #4

Part of the success story of the CheyTac weapons system is the fact that the heart and soul (the completed barreled action assembly) of the various models is manufactured at and by Lawton Machine, LLC of Dillon Montana. Barney Lawton designed the Model 210 action, and his barrels are top quality. Bench rest rifle building processes and techniques are used to thread, chamber, crown and install the barrel into the CheyTac 210 receiver.

Barney Lawton is a perfectionist and his actions and barrels are testament to that fact. I have built a large, and fast growing number of, barreled action assemblies using his barrels and actions. They have either been for our rifles, or we just build the barreled action assembly and the rifle is completed elsewhere, which is the bulk of our production.

Having said all of that, I'd like to add that they are the most consistently accurate barreled action assemblies that I have ever shot, period.

The CheyTac cartridges (408, 375, 338) are all fun for someone like me to shoot because they are so effective at extreme ranges. I believe that the longest one shot elk kill made by the shop personel is 1,528 yards with a 375 CheyTac cartridge. A green hand long range shooter (who shall remain nameless to hide his shame) made an attempt at over 1,600 yards last year to only watch the vapor trail of the projectile sail like a cloud over the back of the animal. No matter what, you never rush a long range shot. It is either there for the taking, or not.

Mike McIntyre
VP Operations
MPI Rifles, LLC
www.mpirifles.com

Old 03-19-2008, 01:50 PM   #5

Default Barett

I picked up two Barrett Firearms magazines at my LGS. Some interesting reading. I see you do not live in California whre the 50 BMG is banned so I would say go for it.
Bob

Old 03-23-2008, 01:25 AM   #6

Thanks again guys for your replies! But I feel I have to apologize for wasting your time. I took the money I saved for a "big boy rifle" and spend it on a Hayabusa with a bunch of work done to it. In my defense the guy only wanted $8000.00 for it and the bike only had 1660 miles on it. Even still I'm sorry for wastng your time. I can only hope someone was in market for the same kind of rifle and you helped them. Sure is nice having another motorcycle again!

Old 03-23-2008, 03:08 AM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Well, I don't think you wasted anyone's time here asking. With a gun like that you probably only wanted to use it for random street crime or shooting down airplanes anyway didn't you????

9x18=Makarov

Old 03-23-2008, 05:51 PM   #8

No Way man! Who do think you're talking to? I wanted one to puncture a toxic gas silo at my local chemical plant. lol To be honest, I wanted one to learn the art form of long range marksmanship. Only one problem, every 200+ yard range in this state has a long waiting list.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:45 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Bolosniper, your avatar looks a little bit familiar. I wonder where I've seen it before? Hmm... Was it on the cover of a book? No. Not there. Maybe on some documents? No. Not there either. I wonder where I've seen it??

I was 1/503rd Infantry with the 173D in Viet Nam. I did 19 months with "The Herd." I started off as an 11Charlie with the 4.2 inch mortars. Got into the Recon Platoon 11Foxtrot and then went to 2nd Platoon of D Company 11Bravo. My last 7 months in Nam I was a sniper.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
www.cheytac.com Their guns have a longer range and are more accurate than .50 BMG, .338 Lapua or .416 Barrett. The .408 Chey-tac has the distinction of being a world record holder when fired from the company's M200 rifle.
I can agree with that 100% I see someone else watches the discovery channels future weapons with Mac that is a cool show

IN A WORLD OF COMPROMISE SOME DON'T H&K
GOD BLESS THE SECOND AMENDMENT :D :D
GOD BLESS THE NRA :D :D
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
VOTE PRO GUN ONLY
SUPPORT THE SECOND AMENDMENT