Whats the best Rifle to go into combat with? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Whats the best Rifle to go into combat with?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2011, 10:35 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
Sorry, the FAL's I've handled are heavy. As I said, I haven't any experience with the AK although I realize they are all over the place and popular due to low maintenance and their ability to throw projectiles down range. It is my understanding that there are accuracy issues with the platform, though; but I may be mistaken.

The Kalashnikov in 7.62X39 is, as you said....Everywhere. Adopted by the Soviet military in 1972 and modified, adapted and distributed throughout the world by the Soviets, Chinese, Bulgaria, Romania and a host of others. Not many in this neck of the woods in the same quantities as the M4 and although there may be thousands in every evidence locker or stored away at ATF somewhere, most get destroyed some survive.

I guess what I'm looking at is that if you and I are called back into service to fight in a ground conflict, the local armory will be issuing the M4. If they hand me an AK, I'll know I'm cannon fodder. At 61......I wouldn't care, but I wouldnt go down alone!!
i understand completely friend but it depends on the fight. id take an AK to clear houses anyday over an M4.

If Sam Colt made men equal, then John Moses Browning made some men better than others.

Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."

Old 07-31-2011, 10:40 PM   #22

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Agreed! Or just take this M4

People get the government they deserve.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:44 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1919A4 View Post
OK, not to hijack the thread, but I really have to ask...why do people on these forums constantly say stuff like this:

Do you really think that there is any conceivable scenario in which you will be able to just walk into a police station or military installation and just take stuff?

Come on. Seriously? That's like saying that you'll be able to gun down police officers and soldiers and take their kit, and that's something else that people seem to say or imply a lot on these forums.

Really, people? Is that what you're planning to try? And even if it is, even if you do plan to turn your guns on the good guys, do you honestly think that all by your lonesome, you can successfully beat trained professionals who work as a team?

I get so tired of hearing this theme pop up on these forums, and I have to wonder just who these posters are and what they're thinking.
...sooo...why does this forum have banners that advertise supplies about zombies? hmm, must be because they think zombies are going to happen and we need to prepare.

what about the guys talking about INCH bags. the Im Never Coming Home idea. i didnt know we have so many double secret hunted agents or lone wolf badasses in this forum.

were talking out of our asses, 1919. nobody implies shooting cops or "good guys". when runner and i talk about being in police stations were talking about them being abandoned in those zombie/end of days plans or hell, even having sales. i know the term police auctions are unheard of, but they do happen.

dont go around here slinging the bullsh*t your pulling about people planing to kill cops. not only does it make people look bad it give the forum a black eye. slow your roll and go shine you badge, no one here is psychotic, just grown men playing fantasy football...with guns.

If Sam Colt made men equal, then John Moses Browning made some men better than others.

Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."

Old 07-31-2011, 10:53 PM   #24

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
OK, not to hijack the thread, but I really have to ask...why do people on these forums constantly say stuff like this:

Do you really think that there is any conceivable scenario in which you will be able to just walk into a police station or military installation and just take stuff?

Come on. Seriously? That's like saying that you'll be able to gun down police officers and soldiers and take their kit, and that's something else that people seem to say or imply a lot on these forums.

Really, people? Is that what you're planning to try? And even if it is, even if you do plan to turn your guns on the good guys, do you honestly think that all by your lonesome, you can successfully beat trained professionals who work as a team?

I get so tired of hearing this theme pop up on these forums, and I have to wonder just who these posters are and what they're thinking.
Yep! Total societal breakdown. When cops aren't getting paid to do what would be and ever more dangerous job, they will be protecting their families and trying to provide food and shelter for them just like everybody else.

Survivors will have to scrounge ammo, parts guns, etc. Police stations and armories may hand out weapons and ammo in an effort to help protect resources from being overrun.

I am not talking about taking a police station or military installation by force, I'm talking about snooping around abandoned police stations and military installations looking for parts and ammo. What do you think it would take for the social structure to corrode to dog eat dog? Ever seen an after Christmas sale at Wal-mart or Target?

We now return this thread to the original topic...My apologies usmcprofessional.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:24 AM   #25
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6573 Times on 3638 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
Agreed! Or just take this M4

If the tank doesn't work out, you could always try mobile artilary

Old 08-01-2011, 02:47 PM   #26

I would pick the m14 ebr mod 1 or the m249 saw. Weight isnt a problem for me either and I would rather have the m14. Better caliber, more stopping power, can go through more things and longer distances. However, the m249 SAW is a nice choice too.

Depends on the fighting.

In Afghanistan, I'd take the M14 for long range ability. Iraq.... probably the M4 or the M249 SAW for ability to use full auto. M14 recoil is just too much for using full auto effectively and accurately (at least with the M14).

Overall, I would take an M1A1 Abrams over the rest any day .

Old 08-01-2011, 03:34 PM   #27

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default another combat gun ....

For a more realistic hunting /survival scavanging scenario as far as simplicity that everyone in your small ''group'' could manage ,with a very small chance of breakage would be a single shot 12 gauge.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:23 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by powg View Post
For a more realistic hunting /survival scavanging scenario as far as simplicity that everyone in your small ''group'' could manage ,with a very small chance of breakage would be a single shot 12 gauge.
hahah thats like asking a WoW player to help you in to sweep and clear a house cause he has a type of experience with quests in raiding.

true though that its super simple and very reliable. id figure a repeater rifle is better if were going that low tech. bringing that in a combat/socity collapse isnt like bring a knife to gunfight, its like tieing your hands behind your back and blindfolding youself and stopping your assaulter with reckless headbutting in his general direction.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:53 PM   #29

Quote:
Planning on enlisting and helping our troops overseas out? If so, congratulations. But you'll wind up with whatever they issue you. Want an M-14? All you have to do is out-shoot everyone else and make yourself a candidate for one. Otherwise, learn to like the M4.

Make too much of a fuss about which rifle you want though and you're liable to wind up schlepping a radio, a heavy machine gun tripod or a mortar baseplate. It seems to work that way when you stand out by asking for things.

Believe it or not, the m4 is my second favorite gun, m14 being my first. I just thing the m4 is accurate, but lacks as big of a knock down power as the m14. 5.56x45mm v.s. 7.62x51mm NATO? 7.62x51mm NATO will win almost every time.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:54 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrasstank66 View Post
I would pick the m14 ebr mod 1 or the m249 saw. Weight isnt a problem for me either and I would rather have the m14. Better caliber, more stopping power, can go through more things and longer distances. However, the m249 SAW is a nice choice too.

Depends on the fighting.

In Afghanistan, I'd take the M14 for long range ability. Iraq.... probably the M4 or the M249 SAW for ability to use full auto. M14 recoil is just too much for using full auto effectively and accurately (at least with the M14).

Overall, I would take an M1A1 Abrams over the rest any day .
Actually the m14 ebr is select a fire.