Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Whats the best Rifle to go into combat with?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2011, 03:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Whats the best Rifle to go into combat with?

I just wanted other peoples opinion. I would go into combat with an M14 EBR.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-31-2011, 03:26 AM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

The one that kills the bad guys. Thats all I care about. If the boomstick works give it to me.

I like the M14 but it would get a bit heavy after a while. I'll take the M-4 cause if I gotta carry heavy I'm taking the 240 or the 249.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:28 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5285 Times on 2756 Posts
Likes Given: 333

welcome to the forum. stop by the intro orum and tell u a bit about yourself.

Colt M16-A1

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-31-2011, 04:02 AM   #4

Liked 105 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 6

The one in your hand, as opposed to the one in the safe. if all you have is a 22 rifle, it beats nothing.
I would prefer to never walk into combat, but if combat came calling and I HAD to choose, it would be my vz58.

Old 07-31-2011, 04:30 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8392 Times on 3630 Posts
Likes Given: 1294

FWIW, the deadliest weapon I have ever held was black. Weighed about 4 ounces, about 7 inches long. Attached to a radio. With an artillery battery and bomber pilots on the other end.

prc-77-rt-841-military-radio-vintage_290560250421.jpg

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 07-31-2011, 04:33 AM   #6

Default What's the "best" rifle to go into combat with?

The one that you are most proficient with. Simple, yes, but still not complete...

As usual, doctherock has nailed the factor that relates to the operator/usability factor. Another way of looking at the weight/ammo factor, is remembering that the ages old problem for the infantryman, is how much ammo can be carried, and still be effective on offense and defense...

Logistics is a very real problem, yes, even down to the individual operator. Without re-supply for what could be extended periods, threat assessment mandates realistic load-outs for plausible scenarios. Going beyond those pre-planned/prepared scenarios is really skating on very thin ice... Do so at your own peril...

For me, I've either of two choices, if mid-range is denied me... Out to 1000m, I have specific rifles. Nowadays, that's mid-range. So, for short range to mid-range, out to 750m, I've got a PTR MSG-91. CQB to outer boundary of short range, 300m, I've a PTR 32KFR.

The PTR 32KFR is a precision rifle designed on the same plan as its big brother, the MSG-91, but in 7.62X39 caliber. It's match barrel, with precision optics and world class ammo for it's caliber, can reliably engage enemies out past 300m, during either day or night.

Currently, the PTR 32KFR rides in my vehicle, 15 mags of 25rds each, ride in a separate tool bag, also within the vehicle. As my vehicle weapon, it's compact in it's 5.11 discrete case, topped with a 4X32 Army ACOG, ATI furniture, and wearing an M6X, a Blackhawk single sling, a GPS-02 Grip-pod, and for night ops, it has an ATN Aries Mk440 Gen2+ night scope. Mags are loaded with MFS-2000 FMJ and Hornady SST ammo.

"You can kill a free man, you can't enslave him." -Robert Anson Heinlein- American Patriot

Shot placement is king, yes. But penetration is queen, and a wide wound channel is the ace in the hole. -Cuda66

Μολὼν λαβέ (Molōn labe!)

Last edited by Glockcurmudgeon; 07-31-2011 at 04:37 AM. Reason: clarity

Old 07-31-2011, 04:40 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Planning on enlisting and helping our troops overseas out? If so, congratulations. But you'll wind up with whatever they issue you. Want an M-14? All you have to do is out-shoot everyone else and make yourself a candidate for one. Otherwise, learn to like the M4.

Make too much of a fuss about which rifle you want though and you're liable to wind up schlepping a radio, a heavy machine gun tripod or a mortar baseplate. It seems to work that way when you stand out by asking for things.

Old 07-31-2011, 04:44 AM   #8

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Welcome aboard, Kai. Nice choice in rifles.

Swing into the intro room and tell us about yourself. Then come back and we can talk about M14s. I'll get us a quiet table in the corner.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 07-31-2011, 04:49 AM   #9

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Best rifle? For Me?

One that launches a multiple warhead nuclear weapon. One shot, they're all dead!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 07-31-2011, 05:49 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
FWIW, the deadliest weapon I have ever held was black. Weighed about 4 ounces, about 7 inches long. Attached to a radio. With an artillery battery and bomber pilots on the other end.

Attachment 31314

Back to rifles I would just stick with the M4. Reliable, light, and accurate.