Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Whats the best Rifle to go into combat with? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/whats-best-rifle-go-into-combat-46027/)

KaiTheGunGuy 07-31-2011 03:20 AM

Whats the best Rifle to go into combat with?

I just wanted other peoples opinion. I would go into combat with an M14 EBR.

doctherock 07-31-2011 03:26 AM

The one that kills the bad guys. Thats all I care about. If the boomstick works give it to me. :D

I like the M14 but it would get a bit heavy after a while. I'll take the M-4 cause if I gotta carry heavy I'm taking the 240 or the 249.

JonM 07-31-2011 03:28 AM

welcome to the forum. stop by the intro orum and tell u a bit about yourself.

Colt M16-A1

armoredman 07-31-2011 04:02 AM

The one in your hand, as opposed to the one in the safe. if all you have is a 22 rifle, it beats nothing.
I would prefer to never walk into combat, but if combat came calling and I HAD to choose, it would be my vz58.

c3shooter 07-31-2011 04:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
FWIW, the deadliest weapon I have ever held was black. Weighed about 4 ounces, about 7 inches long. Attached to a radio. With an artillery battery and bomber pilots on the other end.

Attachment 31314

Glockcurmudgeon 07-31-2011 04:33 AM

What's the "best" rifle to go into combat with?

The one that you are most proficient with. Simple, yes, but still not complete...

As usual, doctherock has nailed the factor that relates to the operator/usability factor. Another way of looking at the weight/ammo factor, is remembering that the ages old problem for the infantryman, is how much ammo can be carried, and still be effective on offense and defense...

Logistics is a very real problem, yes, even down to the individual operator. Without re-supply for what could be extended periods, threat assessment mandates realistic load-outs for plausible scenarios. Going beyond those pre-planned/prepared scenarios is really skating on very thin ice... Do so at your own peril...

For me, I've either of two choices, if mid-range is denied me... Out to 1000m, I have specific rifles. Nowadays, that's mid-range. So, for short range to mid-range, out to 750m, I've got a PTR MSG-91. CQB to outer boundary of short range, 300m, I've a PTR 32KFR.

The PTR 32KFR is a precision rifle designed on the same plan as its big brother, the MSG-91, but in 7.62X39 caliber. It's match barrel, with precision optics and world class ammo for it's caliber, can reliably engage enemies out past 300m, during either day or night.

Currently, the PTR 32KFR rides in my vehicle, 15 mags of 25rds each, ride in a separate tool bag, also within the vehicle. As my vehicle weapon, it's compact in it's 5.11 discrete case, topped with a 4X32 Army ACOG, ATI furniture, and wearing an M6X, a Blackhawk single sling, a GPS-02 Grip-pod, and for night ops, it has an ATN Aries Mk440 Gen2+ night scope. Mags are loaded with MFS-2000 FMJ and Hornady SST ammo.

1919A4 07-31-2011 04:40 AM

Planning on enlisting and helping our troops overseas out? If so, congratulations. But you'll wind up with whatever they issue you. Want an M-14? All you have to do is out-shoot everyone else and make yourself a candidate for one. Otherwise, learn to like the M4.

Make too much of a fuss about which rifle you want though and you're liable to wind up schlepping a radio, a heavy machine gun tripod or a mortar baseplate. It seems to work that way when you stand out by asking for things.

M14sRock 07-31-2011 04:44 AM

Welcome aboard, Kai. Nice choice in rifles.

Swing into the intro room and tell us about yourself. Then come back and we can talk about M14s. I'll get us a quiet table in the corner.:D

dunerunner 07-31-2011 04:49 AM

Best rifle? For Me?

One that launches a multiple warhead nuclear weapon. One shot, they're all dead!

BrassMonkey 07-31-2011 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 553263)
FWIW, the deadliest weapon I have ever held was black. Weighed about 4 ounces, about 7 inches long. Attached to a radio. With an artillery battery and bomber pilots on the other end.

Attachment 31314

:D

Back to rifles I would just stick with the M4. Reliable, light, and accurate.