What was your first rifle?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > What was your first rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2010, 08:50 PM   #1
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1361 Times on 691 Posts
Likes Given: 1015

Default What was your first rifle?

Just curious. I suspect most cut their teeth with a 22. I went from Daisy pump to a Sears bolt-action single-shot when I was 9. It was beautifully accurate, great irons, I killed hundreds of squirrels.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-17-2010, 09:00 PM   #2

My first real rifle that wasn't an air rifle and belonged to me personally was my Savage 7mm08. I did most of my learning on my air rifles, and started out deer hunting with a Winchester model 94 30-30 that was my grandfather's, until my parents bought me the Savage. The 30-30 is mine now too.

"In Vermont authenticity is all, they do not try to keep it real, they are real."- NY Times.

Last edited by PTsouthpaw; 12-17-2010 at 09:06 PM.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:07 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The first rifle I ever owned was a 30-06. The first gun besides a bb/pellet gun was a 12ga Winchester 1300 I bought(that's right, I saved my money and bought it myself) at the ripe old age of 12. It was right before Christmas so my dad bought me a hard case for it. Last year I pulled the gun out to go shoot and the original reciept fell out....took me back.

I was shooting my dad's 22 before then. A Marlin model 80 that belonged to my great grandfather before he passed.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 12-17-2010, 09:11 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ha ha, AR15 chambered in .223, I have only been into shooting rifles for a few years now. Been shooting handguns for six years or so.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:32 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

.22 single shot, bolt action for Christmas when i was six. Went outside with Dad & capped a squirrel with a .22 short, first shot about three minutes after opening the rifle. I found out later, much later, that the rifle was bought used from a guy Dad knew through his work; years later, my sister married the seller's nephew, small world.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:40 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

My first rifle was a 30-06 too. Before that I had a crossman pump BB gun.

It's like paradise on Earth, enriched with the ever so sweet nectar of
elk urine.

When you're out there by yourself, you become who you really are.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:45 PM   #7

The rifle I learned to shoot with over 35 years ago, (my Mom's Rem model 4) Rolling block single shot. Still shoots like a dream.....

My first "self-owned" gun was my Win 37 20ga shotgun)

The first Rifle I ever bought, 1973 Win 70A .243. purchased used about 1979.

DPSTX

Old 12-17-2010, 10:14 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

when i was 5 or 6 i got a black plastic m16 for xmas it shot sparks out the end when you pulled the trigger.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-17-2010, 10:16 PM   #9

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My first rifle or gun of any kind was a Remington model 514. From the time I was big enough to carry responsibly it "the rifle" was mine. Naturally this was after a strict training and safety course my mom & dad did themselves. The 1st centerfire was a Savage model 340 in .222 with a Weaver K6 for a 12th birthday present.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 12-17-2010, 10:16 PM   #10
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2107 Times on 1155 Posts
Likes Given: 629

I did not grow up with firearms. The first rifle or firearm for that mater, I fired was the M1 Carbine in the AF. The first rifle I bought was a Marlin 336T in 35 Rem in Alaska. A Mossberg bolt in 22mag followed and then a custom 308 Norma Magnum also in Alaska. I found out how big moose and bears are.
I could not hunt the first year but I used to go hiking. Some of the guys I hiked with carried 44 mag pistols. I was advised not to trust the power of the pistol so I got a light rifle. The 35 Rem with a 200 gr bullet has over twice the power of the 44 mag. I later got a 12 guage pump with a cut down barrel and carried slugs.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Last edited by JTJ; 12-17-2010 at 10:32 PM.