What is your favourite sporting rifle?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > What is your favourite sporting rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2008, 07:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What is your favourite sporting rifle?

Hello, like you see in title that is the question: What is your favourite sporting rifle?

In my opinion is the Winchester 1873 sporting rifle, you may say.... a little old, but is one of the first firearms i own and shoot and the better in my collection.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-04-2008, 07:36 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

When I was about 7, my grandfather sent me my first .22 caliber boltgun for my birthday. I still have it today. I decided that when I started building quality boltguns, I would return the favor.

I built him his first custom rifle - A .25-06 on a Howa 1500 action and Douglas hunting contour barrel with a Bell & Carlson fiberglass stock and a Leupold scope. I put the whole thing together in a custom cut Pelican case and sent it out to him in Michigan, where he had lived and hunted for over 60 years. He never got a chance to take it out on one last hunt, but he went to the range with it a couple of times and told me he had never had such a fine piece of hardware in his hands.

For a man who spent his entire life turning out custom wood working projects after his duty to the US overseas in WWII, it was quite a compliment.

I never heard the man bitch or complain about anything my entire life. He always had a kind word and a funny story to cheer you up, no matter what. When life gave him lemons, he always made the best lemonade you ever tasted.

He passed before he got a chance to take any game with it, but he made a point of amending his will to make sure he referenced that rifle specifically as being one of his priced possessions, in spite of a vast collection of firearms valued much higher, and that it should be given back to me.

I would say without a doubt - that rifle is my absolute favorite rifle, sporting or otherwise.

JD

Old 07-07-2008, 07:34 AM   #3

I am not sure what your definition of sporting arm is but I have 2 by my thinking. My first is a Remington Model 34 NRA target that was my dads. The stock is cracked, the bluing is gone and it went through 2 brothers and 2 sisters before I got it. It still shoots great and it was my first real rifle.

The second is not of sentimental value but one of just love of the design and history. I have a DSA SA58C with 16.25-barrel tactical forearm with grip and a DSA scope mount with a 3x9 Leupold. It is my current hunting rifle.

By the way thanks for asking!

Have a good one!

Remember:
Plan for the worst, Hope for the best and if you land on your feet running life is good!!!

Old 07-07-2008, 12:23 PM   #4

Sako 85 .223 or a weatherby mark v deluxe .257, .270 or .300

Old 07-09-2008, 01:22 PM   #5

Ruger #1 .22-250 with a Leopold VX III 6.5-20 X50mm scope and a canjar set trigger. A nice shooter.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:09 AM   #6

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Of my rifles and pistols I would have to say my favorite is my Remington ............ 511-X 22lr. it has taken so many squirrels, piegons, and even a coyote. It may soon take a ground hog as well and three skunks ( I got orders today to remove the vermin from the club I belong too). So tomorrow morning I am heading out to try and remove at least the ground hog.

Now back to your regulary scheduled story. My grandfather bought the rifle then my dad got it then I got it. 3 owners it still has 99% bluing on it and the bolt has 90+% of the case hardening on it as well. It is one of the finest looking 511-X rifles I have seen to date.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:06 AM   #7

I don't really have any favorite of either rifle or handgun , I guess I am to practical and realize it is indeed just a simple tool for a job .

Just as I can often remove a Slotted Hex Head fastener with either a nut driver , ratchet and standard socket , ratchet and deepwell , ratchet and standard socket with an extension or even a plain old screwdriver it comes down to what gets the job done best at the moment and what I have to do it with .

If hunting for Deer I could be happy with any one of dozens of calibers and even different action choices from so many brands of guns .

I guess my thing isn't the love of just a few but the appreciation of them all for what they are and what they represent to a still very young Nation struggling with it's identity and place in the world .

I can even find beauty in an old Revolutionary war weapon with a cracked stock and spots of rust here and there by thinking back on the work , dedication and perhaps hope that went into making it O so many years ago .