What is your favorite milsurp bolt-action rifle?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > What is your favorite milsurp bolt-action rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2009, 10:00 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What is your favorite milsurp bolt-action rifle?

Having in this category only two MN44s and one LE "Jungle Carbine", it is the JC.

But I'm biased, because the bores in both MN 44 produce very wide 'groups' at 50 yards, even with the bayos out, being aimed by a true marksman (a friend who still shoots with his military reserve rifle team). The LE is much better.

Still the LE JC is lightweight, very portable. The only problem is that when pushing the bolt forward, quite often the round goes above and to the left of the chamber and hits the metal wall.
Despite my older age (53), am too new with guns to know how much to adjust the feed lips.
Minor tweaking did not help and maybe a stronger mag. spring will help ($10).

Were the two 44s fairly accurate, it would be a difficult choice.
Might seek a 91/30 with a bright bore, if one can be found near Memphis, for trade.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-17-2009, 04:19 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I don't have one, so no personal experience, but I would love a Springfield 1903 just because.

A Carl Gustav Mauser would be my second choice with the Swiss K31 third.

I've had Mosins too and while they're fun and cheap shooters, their accuracy leaves something to be desired.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-17-2009, 04:26 PM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I have some Enfields and love them for the speed of their actions and magazine capacity.

But I have some Mausers and love them for their strength, machining, and accuracy.

And a K31 that is the most amazingly accurate rifle I could have imagined.

But the Enfields probably win out in the "favorite" category.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:59 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
I have some Enfields and love them for the speed of their actions and magazine capacity.

But I have some Mausers and love them for their strength, machining, and accuracy.

And a K31 that is the most amazingly accurate rifle I could have imagined.

But the Enfields probably win out in the "favorite" category.
+1 I have a 1943 No.1MkIII that is a tack driver with a 4x scope. They were arguably the fastest bolt guns ever made, smooth as silk, with no play over the entire length of bolt travel. My M91/30 which is also very accurate, requires a lot of effort to work the bolt. While very accurate, the Mauser bolts are fairly sloppy.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 06-17-2009, 07:44 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't have one but if I did, Springfield 1903 fur sur.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:26 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I'll take the Pre-64 Winchester, bull barrel "hunting" rifle used by Carlos and company during the early stages of Vietnam.

Tough to beat what that rifle had to offer for the price the military paid for it off the shelf from Winchester.

JD

Old 06-17-2009, 09:58 PM   #7

Liked 114 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Mosins and poor muzzle maintenance

I had some some different Mosins they can be as accurate as others they had a rough life and had some bone head recruits sawing on the rifling usaeing them steel cleaning rods as they used corrosive ammo they can on average be pretty poor in the accuracy dept, the Finnish Army did counter bore ther muzzles to bring the accuracy back into useable parametrs, i had a 1897 Tula that was counter bored back over 2.5" and it grouped at 4.75" off the bench with its favorite ammo, I had a stock T-53 that was almost new that was a 2"er, and now have a P-27 scoped sporter with 25" barrel the bore is pretty dark, I hadent put it on paper yet that may be the best of all the mosins ive done some plinking with it and has shown potental its neck & neck with my sons Savage 110 at 150 yards we both can skip round the soda pop can!.

To say any one type is inaccurate isant reall fair, there are accurate models of all the makes and models, problems with Milsurps is finding some that hadent been abused, U.S. Krags,1903 Springfields, Swede Mausers most encounter shoot nice they dident see the the wear and tear some Nations had put ther arms through like the Mosins & Enfields and allot of Mausers were subjected to, I have a 1891 Fucile (1917)Carcano that is is a 2.25"er and a 1891 (1900) Argentine Mauser Sporter that should be pretty good shooter when Ive the Ammo ready for it.

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 06-17-2009 at 10:01 PM.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:46 PM   #8

I would have to say I am a fan of the 1903, followed closely by the k98.

"the tree of liberty has to be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants...."

"on the seventh day god created the model 700 for killing dinosaurs."

Old 06-18-2009, 02:37 AM   #9

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I got to agree with dicky. Naturally I'm only talking about the actions with which to build rifles from-not the rifles as issued. If I HAVE to choose an as issued bolt rifle, it's the M-40 hands down.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 06-18-2009, 03:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I'll take the Pre-64 Winchester, bull barrel "hunting" rifle used by Carlos and company during the early stages of Vietnam.

Tough to beat what that rifle had to offer for the price the military paid for it off the shelf from Winchester.

JD
I had no idea they used those in nam. I have a sweet spot for pre 64's.