Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > What are you thoughts?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2014, 01:44 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 186 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Default What are you thoughts?

What are your thoughts regarding selling of stocks in your retirement money, and buying collectible firearms as a hedge.

I am a retied old man. The kids are grown, and out of the house. So is the wife.

I have begun to think that my money is not really safe in the market. I keep hearing that our economy will tank, along with Europe's. If it goes, then all that money that is on the computer in the form of stock, will go away, (except for the money that the CEO's salaries and their sweet severance packages).

To diversify, I have started to take money out, and buy collectible rifles that I have always dreamed of having. The prices of guns seems to always increase. In the 1980's, I bought a WW2 .45 ACP for $200,(the guy had a whole bunch of them on his table at a gun show. For $300, I could have bought one with,"Property of USN" on it. I bought a Winchester-made M1 carbine for $400. If I wanted to buy them today, I could not afford to buy the Colt. The Inland carbine I bought a month ago cost me more than $1500.

I got my C&R, and have begun to collect rifles used by the USA from the Civil war, to the present, walnut and steel, (stopping at plastic and steel).

If I leave money in stocks, and have money in guns, I won't lose it all if the market fails.

If the swat team comes to confiscate my collection, I will still have money in the market.

But then, I will be royally screwed if the market fails, and the goon squads arrive at the same time.

To tell the truth though, I would much rather examine and hold a classic, something tangible, than a stock quote.

springfieldmosinad.jpg  

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,
And three or so are mine."

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-24-2014, 02:06 AM   #2

Liked 419 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 865

My father has a lot of his money in old coins. Coins that aren't just worth the amount of silver or gold in them. No matter what happens to the markets, there will always be a demand for historic coins, and the value will be the same.

I can't imagine that investing in rifles would be a very smart move, unless they were historic pieces. Even then, I would be careful. Then again, I am just a 19 year old who still has a lot to learn about economics!

Old 05-24-2014, 02:50 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 935 Times on 617 Posts
Likes Given: 1210

Firearm collection is very particular to individuals. Finding a popular niche, and being able to buy low to sell high later down the road. Might just be too lengthy to see significant return...

Become steel or get cut.

Old 05-24-2014, 04:11 AM   #4
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1155 Times on 667 Posts
Likes Given: 556

If it were myself,I'd invest in gold and silver before I'd start buying firearms for investments. I have a very large firearms collection,but I don't consider them an investment opportunity. While some firearms do have a very good return on the investment,if you're buying them today,you're on the losing end of their investment gains.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

People Like This 
Old 05-24-2014, 05:02 AM   #5

Liked 972 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 972

HM2Grunt, I sure can't fault you for buying something that you want. I doubt your historic guns investment will increase dramatically in a market crash but like you say they would be more valuable than worthless stocks. And maybe it will be good for your outlook on life if you have some interesting firearms around that you've always wanted.

I worry about the same thing happening and think it is important to buy things of value now that would be unattainable in a crisis situation. Food, water, batteries, etc. - the things you'd need to get by at home for a few weeks if necessary. If it goes longer than that then we're all in a world of hurt.

Some modern guns (plus ammo and magazines) might not be a bad idea, too. ARs are quite cheap now, but as we've seen their price skyrockets in a crisis. Much more so than a historic firearm.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

TLuker Likes This 
Old 05-24-2014, 05:40 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8631 Times on 3740 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

There are at least two different aspects to your situation- growth in value, and PRESERVATION of value.

Growth- I have a dollar. In a year, I want that to be $1.10.
Preservation- I have a dollar. In a year, I will have $1.10, but it will only buy what $1 buys today.

Unfortunately, my crystal ball is in the shop for calibration, an oil change and a front end alignment. Lacking an infallible guide to future moves of the economy (hell- if I HAD such a thing, would I be hanging out here???) I diversify my investments. Some in stocks, some in bonds, some in interest bearing, some in metals (actual metals I can hold in my hand- NOT paper that says I own metals) real estate, guns, etc. Have guns increased in relative value? Most have. Especially mainstream maker classic guns- higher grade Winchesters, Brownings, etc.

Problem with guns- lack of liquidity and cost of liquidating. Yes, I bought a Colt Python, held it for a while, sold it for 20% more than I paid 2 years ago. Now deduct the fee I paid to Gunbroker, and my shipping costs. Oh, I made 10% over 2 years. But wait- inflation went up by 4% a year- I made 2% in 2 years. And it took 3 months to sell at the price I wanted.

There ARE guns that have increased sharply in value- pre-64 Winchesters, etc. But WHICH guns will have a sharp increase in the future? THAT is the question- and you need a DeLorean with a flux capacitor to answer that.

In the meantime, it does not hurt to have some of your investable funds in guns. I can't take my stock certificates to the range for a fun afternoon.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

People Like This 
Old 05-24-2014, 05:46 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8631 Times on 3740 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

PS- story was that a fellow was trying to sell W.C. Fields on an investment scheme.

Fields responded- "All my money is tied up in stocks and bonds. Yes, stocks and bonds. Silk stockings and bonded whiskey."

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

People Like This 
Old 05-24-2014, 11:29 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1164 Times on 746 Posts
Likes Given: 2196

My thoughts are similar to Quentin's. Collectables. including guns, are luxury items and if the economy crashes then the bottom is going to fall out of the market for all luxury items. Who would even think about buying a gun for collecting during an economic crash? Now a gun as a tool is a different matter. A gun as a tool will always have value so long as there is a need for that tool. So I would look more at guns for how usable they still are. An M1 carbine is still very functional and I would consider that something that would hold it's value but the things that make it collectable and very valuable now might not matter in an economic melt down? A smooth bore musket might not be so useful despite it being very valuable now as a collectable?

And like Quentin, I think it's important to buy things of value now. Even if the economy doesn't crash inflation is going to be an issue for sometime. We can already see real things of value skyrocketing in price compared to what those same things cost just a few years ago. Quality things like tools are also getting harder and harder to find as manufacturers make things cheaper and cheaper. It's getting tough to even find a steal tape measure (plain old tape measure) because all the manufactures are going to plastic. For that matter look at all the plastic in guns now. And the decline in quality and being made really well is what makes those pre 64 model 70's worth so much. No one makes them like that any more and we wouldn't be able to afford it if they did. So buy the things now that you like that might not be affordable in a few years. Things that hold there value that is. A night in Vegas doesn't count.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:47 PM   #9

Liked 912 Times on 604 Posts
Likes Given: 566

Here's another one for silver & gold. Bullion, or bullion coins, not numismatic coins. Collectable coins is a specialty, with issues much like collector guns. You can easily be on the loosing end of that, too. But bullion is pretty straight foreword. Buy quality, and hold (store) it YOURSELF. If anybody else stores it, including a safety deposit box, it's the same thing as a stock. Ride out the lows, (it's low now, good time to buy), and roll in it like Scrooge McDuck.

I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Old 05-24-2014, 03:13 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1144 Times on 785 Posts
Likes Given: 1152

I think that Guns & Ammo are GREAT investments !................

When all else fails.