What yall think?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > What yall think?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2009, 11:00 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default What yall think?

ok so i had posted about 2 weeks ago that i was going to go into a new gun shop that i has found that claimed to be able to build custom rifles. Well i went and walked in the shop and milled around checking out what was on the racks, they had decent stuff but i was not thoroughly impressed until.......One of the ladies runnin the counter asked me what i needed help with and i told her i wanted to build a custom rifle and she gave me an o shat look until she pointed at an older gentlemen helping another customer, she said he can help you. The older gentleman looked at me and asked what do you want, and i siad i want to build a heavy 300 win mag on a Howa action. The old man gave me kinda of a relieved smile and simply said come with me.

He walked out of the shop and told me and the other old man he was helping to get in the truck (he had a rifle in his hand so i figured i better do what he said , he was taking it to be worked on) i got in the truck and we took a short drive across town to an inconspicuous garage where we all got out. The old man unlocked the door and let me into what i can only describe as "a custom rifle paradise" he had lathes and drill presses and all sorts of extremly heavy ungodly expensive looking machines set up all around. On tables around his machine tools were dozens of barrels and barreled actions with sexy muzzle breaks. This guy had more reloading equipment than i have seen midways catalog lol.

The old man proceeded to use a couple lasers and a target to bore sight the other old mans new 22-250 while i walked around and looked at his operation.

After mounting a scope on the 22-250 this guy opened one of his 3 safes and started pulling out night force and Leupold scopes and huge (27#) 6.5X284 bench rest rifles. This guy has a serious problem

He pulled out a remington 700 action with a heavy Heart barrell and showed me a target that was shot with the same setup.......one ragged hole at 100....covered a 5 shot group with a dime at 300. He tole me that this setup all put together and ready to put into a stock would be about $ 1200

So what do you think dose this guy sound legit?.......i seem to think so what do you think of Heart barrels because i think that is what he uses exclusively, but i think i can convince him to use any barrel if i want?

O i forgot he said he builds about 2 guns a month, and what got me is that along with like 8 pens he carries a micrometer in his pocket lol anyone who dose that has to be somewhat precision minded right?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-26-2009, 01:05 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8859 Times on 3837 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

You, sir, seem to have discovered Vulcan- the forge master for the Gods. We had two of them around here- one passed away a couple of years back- and God knows they do not seem to be growing many of them nowadays. You would need to invest at least a quarter million in machine tools to do this right.

Somewhat crusty older gents that can take a pocket knife, a billet of stainless, and carve a rifle from it. Few and far between. Out of idle curiousity, run a google search on his name. Have seen a few gents like the one you describe whose names ARE on the net- not because they put them there, but because they are listed as the builder of the rifle used by the State Rifle Champ. A good one is worth his weight in gold.

By the way, HART (check your spelling) barrels have been on MANY record holding rifles. Been in business since early 50s. Link: Hart Rifle Barrels

Last edited by c3shooter; 05-26-2009 at 01:09 PM.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:42 PM   #3

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

If you are going to speek redneck please do it properly

it is not what yall think

wudya'll thunk bout tat?

HOLY CRAP $1200 for that in a stock buy it now buy it yesterday. Why did you leave the shop without buying that? SO what if JD says they are crappy actions. If you don't want it I do I will sell my left nut (BTW does anyone need a nut I will sell mine for $3000 + you pay the surgery fees) to get that thing. I would watch it is you go with the 6.5-284 it is known for burning up barrels. Many guys shooting 1000 F-class or benchrest will go threw a barrel in as little as 1000 rounds. For normal fokes like us 3000 rounds would be about the max life on a 6.5-284 barrel.

Hart barrels have been around for along time. My grandfather used them and shilen. I don't like button rifled barrels but they are still winning benchrest matches with them.

Last edited by cpttango30; 05-26-2009 at 01:50 PM.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:50 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sorry about the spelling and improper hillbilly speak.

Ya im pretty sure im gona get with this guy and get him working on a rifle for me very soon, i think i might encounter a problem when it comes to procuring an action from him as he looked as if he only single shot actions. So i think it might be me still looking for a repeater action to give to him. And i know he said he builds about 2 guns a month, but im curious to know ho many people are ahead of me.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:56 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Sounds like you found yourself a good one.

There is nothing wrong with Hart barrels - as pointed out, they win plenty of matches. Thing is, they are button rifled, like Tango pointed out, and that is not the MOST accurate form of barrel making. There is nothing wrong with them, any good gunsmith can get one to shoot ragged holes, but there are better barrel choices out there.

Either way, it sounds like the guy knows what he is doing, and as such, I would spend some time talking with him about what you want your rifle to do for you and what load you are expecting to shoot out of it ( off the shelf, reloading, custom reloading ).

Keep us posted!

JD

Old 05-26-2009, 03:04 PM   #6
cbw

[QUOTE=Hot Sauce NARC;109353]Sorry about the spelling and improper hillbilly speak. /QUOTE]

Theres a big difference tween redneck and hillbilly. You ain't form this parts are ya son

can u read this

lib
mr snks
mrknot
ysmr
smettbtte i's

[The odds are always 50/50

Old 05-26-2009, 03:15 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

[QUOTE=cbw;109358]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Sauce NARC View Post
Sorry about the spelling and improper hillbilly speak. /QUOTE]

Theres a big difference tween redneck and hillbilly. You ain't form this parts are ya son

can u read this

lib
mr snks
mrknot
ysmr
smettbtte i's
Sorry poor attempt at humor, No central Illinois isnt exactly these parts, but it has its c'mere boy moments

Old 05-26-2009, 09:29 PM   #8
cbw

[QUOTE=Hot Sauce NARC;109353]Sorry about the spelling and improper hillbilly speak. /QUOTE]

can u read this

lib
mr snks
mrknot
ysmr
smettbtte i's

[The odds are always 50/50

Old 05-26-2009, 10:48 PM   #9

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It sounds like you have found a bargain in building you a rifle. I charge more than that (sometimes a lot more) and I build 4-6 rifles a month-depending on whether making a walnut stock from a blank & inletting, shaping, final sanding, checkering, finishing, or using synthetic stocks. That's assuming (when) I feel good enough to work.