What would be your selection for a high grain, sub-sonic (hush) build?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > What would be your selection for a high grain, sub-sonic (hush) build?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 09:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What would be your selection for a high grain, sub-sonic (hush) build?

I have been meaning to get to a build of a large caliber subsonic rifle. Probably going to have to stay with bolt action for this. Reason I ask is I do have a Ruger 44 carbine that uses the 44 mag cartridge and I might be able to down load them to subsonic but then might have to mod the action since it is a semi-auto.

I would also prefer to have more rounds available. You can get a pretty damn heavy bullet in a 44. I was thinking about something like the .308 as well. Probably will shoot this one a bit so round costs are a consideration. I like the .338 but that is probably way to expensive for what I am doing. This gun will have an effective range of 200yds. That is probably being the ability of a sub sonic 44 slug. They just are not built for that IMO.

This gun will be a quiet giant and I really want to get some decent range out of this one. If I could get accuracy at 200, I would be happy. I am very happy with my sub sonic 22 at 100yds but I need to weight to comp the lack of ambition.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-31-2011, 11:47 PM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2101 Times on 1151 Posts
Likes Given: 629

45/70 Personally I like the single shots. Ruger #1 or #3, H&R, Browning, Thompson. Marlin lever. Not sure about bolt guns. 350 to 500gr bullets readily available. Bullet molds available.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:55 PM   #3

Does a guy usually have to home load or are heavy loads an easy find?

Old 02-01-2011, 12:18 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5795 Times on 3026 Posts
Likes Given: 394

45acp ar15. or 458socom. getting something like a 44mag or 308win or 338 winmag subsonic your risking case detonation or incomplete ignition and stuck bullets in the bore which is very bad.

subsonic and long range dont go together.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-01-2011, 01:09 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9132 Times on 3945 Posts
Likes Given: 1423

Quietest firearm I have ever seen was a De Lisle carbine. Suppressed bolt action .45 ACP. Used the stock and action from a SMLE, barrel of a Thomspon SMG, purpose built integral suppressor. The range that you could hit a man was VERY surprising. Being subsonic from the start, the .45 ACP gives you a head start.

Only thing you heard was a CLICK from the firing pin. Spooky.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:11 AM   #6

the 77/44 seems a very popular build and there is subsonic commercial ammo out there. Seen about 20 of them by now.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Quietest firearm I have ever seen was a De Lisle carbine. Suppressed bolt action .45 ACP. Used the stock and action from a SMLE, barrel of a Thomspon SMG, purpose built integral suppressor. The range that you could hit a man was VERY surprising. Being subsonic from the start, the .45 ACP gives you a head start.

Only thing you heard was a CLICK from the firing pin. Spooky.
I would be REAL interested to learn more about that. I know integral systems raise the bar in terms of engineering because they usually vent the barrel while the slug is still in the barrel which can allow you to use a more off the shelf load and I also believe that since the slug is in the barrel, there is more gas velocity venting out of the barrel to strip gasses quicker.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:27 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9132 Times on 3945 Posts
Likes Given: 1423

Here is a bit of info-

De Lisle carbine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:08 AM   #9

I guess I need to research why they might prefer the .45 acp. My best guess is that it is already a subsonic round so there are no special loaded required. I already have this 44 mag rifle so I would like to work with it if possible. My largest concerns are accuracy and range of the round. With my experience in this rhelm, if the bullet geometry is not stable in flight and there is not enough twist in impart stability, the bullet tumbles really bad and loses all accuracy.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:13 AM   #10

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Isn't Kansas a "friendly" Class III state??

Why re-invent the wheel if you are trying to only be subsonic and minute of bad guy at 200 or 300 yards??