Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   What would be your selection for a high grain, sub-sonic (hush) build? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/what-would-your-selection-high-grain-sub-sonic-hush-build-37716/)

fastline 01-31-2011 10:49 PM

What would be your selection for a high grain, sub-sonic (hush) build?

I have been meaning to get to a build of a large caliber subsonic rifle. Probably going to have to stay with bolt action for this. Reason I ask is I do have a Ruger 44 carbine that uses the 44 mag cartridge and I might be able to down load them to subsonic but then might have to mod the action since it is a semi-auto.

I would also prefer to have more rounds available. You can get a pretty damn heavy bullet in a 44. I was thinking about something like the .308 as well. Probably will shoot this one a bit so round costs are a consideration. I like the .338 but that is probably way to expensive for what I am doing. This gun will have an effective range of 200yds. That is probably being the ability of a sub sonic 44 slug. They just are not built for that IMO.

This gun will be a quiet giant and I really want to get some decent range out of this one. If I could get accuracy at 200, I would be happy. I am very happy with my sub sonic 22 at 100yds but I need to weight to comp the lack of ambition.

JTJ 02-01-2011 12:47 AM

45/70 Personally I like the single shots. Ruger #1 or #3, H&R, Browning, Thompson. Marlin lever. Not sure about bolt guns. 350 to 500gr bullets readily available. Bullet molds available.

fastline 02-01-2011 12:55 AM

Does a guy usually have to home load or are heavy loads an easy find?

JonM 02-01-2011 01:18 AM

45acp ar15. or 458socom. getting something like a 44mag or 308win or 338 winmag subsonic your risking case detonation or incomplete ignition and stuck bullets in the bore which is very bad.

subsonic and long range dont go together.

c3shooter 02-01-2011 02:09 AM

Quietest firearm I have ever seen was a De Lisle carbine. Suppressed bolt action .45 ACP. Used the stock and action from a SMLE, barrel of a Thomspon SMG, purpose built integral suppressor. The range that you could hit a man was VERY surprising. Being subsonic from the start, the .45 ACP gives you a head start.

Only thing you heard was a CLICK from the firing pin. Spooky.

fastline 02-01-2011 02:11 AM

the 77/44 seems a very popular build and there is subsonic commercial ammo out there. Seen about 20 of them by now.

fastline 02-01-2011 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 434044)
Quietest firearm I have ever seen was a De Lisle carbine. Suppressed bolt action .45 ACP. Used the stock and action from a SMLE, barrel of a Thomspon SMG, purpose built integral suppressor. The range that you could hit a man was VERY surprising. Being subsonic from the start, the .45 ACP gives you a head start.

Only thing you heard was a CLICK from the firing pin. Spooky.

I would be REAL interested to learn more about that. I know integral systems raise the bar in terms of engineering because they usually vent the barrel while the slug is still in the barrel which can allow you to use a more off the shelf load and I also believe that since the slug is in the barrel, there is more gas velocity venting out of the barrel to strip gasses quicker.

c3shooter 02-01-2011 02:27 AM

Here is a bit of info-

De Lisle carbine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

fastline 02-01-2011 03:08 AM

I guess I need to research why they might prefer the .45 acp. My best guess is that it is already a subsonic round so there are no special loaded required. I already have this 44 mag rifle so I would like to work with it if possible. My largest concerns are accuracy and range of the round. With my experience in this rhelm, if the bullet geometry is not stable in flight and there is not enough twist in impart stability, the bullet tumbles really bad and loses all accuracy.

Dillinger 02-01-2011 03:13 AM

Isn't Kansas a "friendly" Class III state??

Why re-invent the wheel if you are trying to only be subsonic and minute of bad guy at 200 or 300 yards?? :confused: