What would you buy next? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > What would you buy next?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2011, 07:31 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If I were you; I would buy the following:
- 12ga shotgun (check Mossberg 500 or Remington 870)
- another SD/HD pistol (9mm, .357, .40, .45)
- hunting rifle (check Savage Edge or Marlin XS7...I like .308)
- semi-auto rifle (my preference is a .223 AR or a .308 battle rifle)

Please note that I personally like to keep my ammo choice simple/consolidated and it reflects in my posted selection.

Good luck!!!

"Memories are pictures in your mind." - Kathryn (my 3 year old daughter)

Old 08-22-2011, 09:04 PM   #12

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I seriously need a combat shotty. Been looking at the Saiga 12, Remington 870P, Remington 1100 Tactical, Benelli Nova Tactical Pump.

For a pistol, I have a 1911 .45 and 9mm because I wanted something that fired a NATO rouond for a side arm. My current battle rifle is a Ruger Mini-14, hoping to add an AR. My reach out and touch someone rifle is a Savage 10FCP .308. Anyway, those encompass my short list of recommendations?

Always nice to have a pellet rifle, and a .22LR bolt, lever, pump or semi-auto.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:11 PM   #13

Liked 1244 Times on 809 Posts
Likes Given: 792

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbwolverine View Post
What would you suggest would be a good AR. Looking around here it seems like a lot of people build their own, but I'm not sure I want to try something quite that ambitious yet.
stag arms.. average in price.. i paid 900 even for mine. shoot great havent had any problems w FTF, FTE DOUBLE FEEDS. nothing. and you get a lifetime parts labor and shipping warranty

Old 08-22-2011, 09:35 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poink88 View Post
- 12ga shotgun (check Mossberg 500 or Remington 870)
Nothing much is as versatile as a pump shotgun with a couple of different barrels (short for HD & longer for hunting).

I would also suggest you try a Ruger GP100 or similar .38/.357mag revolver for target fun & HD.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:41 PM   #15

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I have a fair selection of weapons, but I don't have an AR type yet. That would be my next weapon.

I too have a XD only Compact .40. Also a S&W Sigma in .40.
I have an 835 Mossberg with 20 in barrel w/ghost ring sights.
I have a 10/22 and Mark III.
And I have a Howa 1500 20in HB in 308 w/6x18x50 Nikon. I have actually hit a gallon milk jug at 700 yards. It's a blast to shoot. I can keep you at bay a ways out....

But would love to have a good AR of some sorts.

Thats what I'd go for next..

Jimmy

Old 08-22-2011, 10:36 PM   #16

Liked 191 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Since you brought up self-defense, one really must get a shotgun. Even though there might not be places for you to handle it, for the price it must be in the home. Though you must aim to some degree, I don't think they need the trigger time that other firearms may need to be effective.

If you go AR-15, 5.56x45mm is really the best round, and there is a LOT of information around here that will help you get the best value for your money (there is an AR-15 subforum).

Since you already have 9mm around your home, another option is a pistol-caliber carbine in 9mm, such as the Beretta CX4 Storm.

One last option I would suggest is adding a more powerful handgun round. The two best options, in my opinion is a revolver in .357 (S&W686) or a semi-auto in .45acp (1911 Government 5")

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 08-22-2011, 11:01 PM   #17
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3451 Times on 1667 Posts
Likes Given: 1738

Wolverine,

Obviously you and your wife have made some good choices with the Browning Buck Mark, The Springfield XD and the Henry. All top quality weapons. As far as the next selections a lot depends on that. For example what state are you moving to. Some are not friendly at all regarding the AR-15 Rifle. So that is one question we would ask you first! What State!
For home protection pistols if you train with them are good! Shotguns are also good. Another thing good about shotguns like the Remington 870 Standard Models or Magnums you can have the weapon for several applications just by changing barrels. For example I have a Remington 870 and three barrels. Short Barrel with Rifle Sights for defense and Deer Hunting using Slugs or 00 Buck, another 26" barrel for Bird Hunting and one 30" Full Choke barrel for Duck, Turkey and other game. Then there is the issue of proper training regarding recoil of just shooting the shotgun for fun. This can also be reduced by choosing a smaller caliber like 20 gauge for example.
The AR-15 Rifle some of the top quality rifles are Rock River Arms, Lewis Machine & Tool, Stag Arms, and some others. I prefer the Rock River due to all the items you get with the rifle as standard equipment not provided on others at the basic price. Like 2 Stage National Match Trigger, Star Selector Safety Switch, Rock River Hogue Rubber Pistol Grip, Front Side Sling Swivel, Fit Receivers, 6 Position Collapsible Stock as used on the DEA and FBI contract rifles, guaranteed accuracy, Ltd. Lifetime Guarantee. Then do you want a tactical style rifle or a Varmint Target Model. For example if you and your wife find a club or place to shoot it, the Varmint Target Models are a blast to see how much accuracy you each can achieve with say three or five shot groups. Very addicting as well as rewarding. This is just a few thoughts regarding your tough question. Have fun and I am sure you both will make a good decision based on your original selections. Oh and 223/5.56 Ammunition is easy to come by for the AR-15 Rifles. GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by Sniper03; 08-22-2011 at 11:04 PM.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:30 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

What would be next on my list? Hhhhmmm ...

How about a AA-12 Automatic machine shotgun, Santa?

http://youtu.be/WOoUVeyaY_8

Old 08-22-2011, 11:35 PM   #19

Liked 773 Times on 540 Posts
Likes Given: 842

An AR15 for home Defense, seriously! Shoot an intruder and your Neighbor w/ 1 shot. I use a 10mm 1911a1 w/ 180gr Speer gold dots and a Mossberg 500 w/ a 20" barrel #4 shot. I can kill a Coyote at 30 yards w/ #4 lead. An intruder at 15 feet will not do well and there is no over penetration. BTW, they would need to get past my 65lb Fox hound that flips out and kills anything that wanders in my yard, very territorial. If someone is that up close and personnal, cut them in half.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:25 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
For example what state are you moving to. Some are not friendly at all regarding the AR-15 Rifle. So that is one question we would ask you first! What State!
We're moving to Michigan.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Newest Threads