Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > What would you buy next?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2011, 11:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What would you buy next?

This isn't specifically a long gun question, but there's no 'general questions' forum, and it does deal with long guns some, so I'll ask here.

My wife and I have been shooting now for about six months. So far, we own a Browning Buckmark, a Springfield XDM 9mm, and a lever action .22LR Henry Golden Boy. We mostly shoot for fun, though we both appreciate the personal protection aspects of owning firearms.

So given our situation, what sort of gun would you buy next? Budget is not a huge issue. We can afford maybe $1000 every 3-4 months. I'm thinking about maybe getting something like an AR-15 eventually, and possibly a shotgun at some point (though at the moment I have nowhere I know of that I could shoot one). We've debated about whether we are getting concealed carry permits, but that's out of the question for close to a year, since we're moving in 3-4 months to another state, and you must be a resident for 6 months before you apply.

So what would be next on your list?

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-20-2011, 11:25 PM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I was going to say a 12g shotgun, but since you can't train with at the moment I´d get the AR. A good bolt action can be a lot of fun too, but the AR will fill the HD role much better

Old 08-21-2011, 08:34 AM   #3

What would you suggest would be a good AR. Looking around here it seems like a lot of people build their own, but I'm not sure I want to try something quite that ambitious yet.

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:08 PM   #4

Ever get the extra money...a Shiloh Sharps chambered in 50-90 has been on my list for a long time.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:22 PM   #5
Resident Lurker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 669 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 1799

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbwolverine View Post
What would you suggest would be a good AR. Looking around here it seems like a lot of people build their own, but I'm not sure I want to try something quite that ambitious yet.
The AR-15 rifles are more or less all the same, with the exception of a few makers. Nearly all are owned by freedom arms. (So I've been told) Bushmaster, Remington, DPMS. That being said, Armalite/Colt, Smith and Wesson and Ruger are not related. Personally, I am partial to Bushmaster, only because my dad bought one when I was a kid.

From what I hear, the DPMS sportical is a good budget starter AR-15.

Also, you can't go wrong with an M1 Garand. A piece of history and a blast to shoot.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member - NRA, NAGR

Last edited by sputnik1988; 08-21-2011 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Almost forgot the M1!!!

Old 08-22-2011, 03:54 PM   #6

Liked 2187 Times on 1256 Posts
Likes Given: 1781

I'd recommend a decent bolt-action.

Mosin Nagants are a fraction of what you can afford,

and ammo's dirt cheap. VERY fun to shoot.

A good used Remington 700, used, you could get 2 or 3, with scopes,

for 1000$, with an almost unlimited number of calibers from which to choose.

Wikipedia and Gunbroker are your friends.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:54 PM   #7

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'd vote for an AR type rifle too. For your price range, you could get a Spike's or BCM and still have a little left over for ammo or accessories.

The only time you can have too much ammunition is if you're swimming or on fire!

Gun stores: Where the morbidly obese can pretend to be mercenaries, allude to past experiences in Special Ops, and overuse words like "tactical" and "piece of kit".

Old 08-22-2011, 05:02 PM   #8

My belief is that every household should have two quality handguns, a shotgun, a hunting rifle of some sort, and an auto loader defense rifle.

The Springfield XD is an excellent handgun IMO.

If I had your current stock the following would be on my To Buy list:

- a handgun, in .38, .357, 9mm, .40 or .45 cal (I favor Ruger and Kahr)

- a decent 12 ga. with a 5 or 7 round magazine (Mossberg is quite adequate)

- a bolt action 30-06 with scope (Remington, Ruger, or Savage Arms are good buys)

- AR-15 in 7.62x39 (Since parts are numerous the make isn't asimportant as the configuration conforming to local laws)

That's my 2% of a dollar.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:07 PM   #9

A Glock 27 to backup my Glock 23. Same caliber,can use the 23's mags and can disappear even better than the 23.

Would have said an AR but it's a loooooooooooooong time before that kind of money comes around.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:12 PM   #10

Liked 180 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 184

On the next thing on my list is a M1 Carbine... maybe a M1 Garand

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED