What will be the next US army rifle? - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > What will be the next US army rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2014, 08:13 PM   #81
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 552 Times on 365 Posts
Likes Given: 173

There is more to choosing a service rifle that the calibre. There is cost, ease of manufacture, As for the calibre most went for an intermediate calibre after experiences in WW2. Following the thinking of the Germans and their use of the sturmgewehr. They knew that the intermediate cartage would not be as effective as the 7.62 range etc for example, The advantages a lighter firearm, controllable automatic fire, smaller lighter ammo , making it easer to carry more ammo, easer to train soldiers to use because of the lighter recoil. So for all the ones posting that the 5.56 is not as effective in stopping someone, you are saying something that most people already know including the designers. But they see the advantages outweighing the disadvantages. Unless something radically different and better than the 5.56 and the M/4 come along. I can't see them changing service rifles ,why would they.

Last edited by manta; 01-20-2014 at 08:32 PM.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:27 PM   #82
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2334 Times on 1256 Posts
Likes Given: 842

I have no idea why some people went off the deep end on this topic, but let's bring it back to the land of civility. I don't want to dispatch anymore vacations.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
JW357 Likes This 
Old 01-20-2014, 09:44 PM   #83

Liked 95 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
I have no idea why some people went off the deep end on this topic, but let's bring it back to the land of civility. I don't want to dispatch anymore vacations.
this crap happens when we get talking about stuff like this...some people think they know stuff, others know stuff, and its all displayed here on FTF

Old 01-20-2014, 09:53 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
There is more to choosing a service rifle that the calibre. There is cost, ease of manufacture, As for the calibre most went for an intermediate calibre after experiences in WW2. Following the thinking of the Germans and their use of the sturmgewehr. They knew that the intermediate cartage would not be as effective as the 7.62 range etc for example, The advantages a lighter firearm, controllable automatic fire, smaller lighter ammo , making it easer to carry more ammo, easer to train soldiers to use because of the lighter recoil. So for all the ones posting that the 5.56 is not as effective in stopping someone, you are saying something that most people already know including the designers. But they see the advantages outweighing the disadvantages. Unless something radically different and better than the 5.56 and the M/4 come along. I can't see them changing service rifles ,why would they.
nicely said, except for the part about the 5.56 not being a good fight stopper, and the designer knew about it...I cant agree with you on this...its a great fight stopper and man killer as proven in battle and in the hunting fields under 300 YARDS

I read your comment one more time and think you were saying the 5.56 is not as good as the 308 is that right, as far as terminal ballistics, and your right everybody knew that

Last edited by MaineMan; 01-20-2014 at 10:06 PM.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:58 PM   #85
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 783 Times on 521 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I think if they ever do switch it needs to be a happy medium between 5.56 and 7.62 something like the 6mm x 35 round KAC developed for the pdw

this message was sent using my Barrett 50 straight to your brain.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:15 PM   #86

Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Gentlemen....it's pretty obvious that anything that can kill you is a "good choice".It can be the 556 or any other heavier bullet.The truth is and has always been in the middle: something between the 556 and the 762(x39).In my opinion, they should combine the accuracy of the first with the penetration and stopping power of the second.There nothing such the "perfect round", you can only get closer to it.

Sent from my PAP4500TDUO using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 01-20-2014, 10:15 PM   #87
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 552 Times on 365 Posts
Likes Given: 173

Quote:
nicely said, except for the part about the 5.56 not being a good fight stopper, and the designer knew about it...I cant agree with you on this...
I could have put that better. I think the designers knew that the 5.56 was not going to be as effective as the 7.62. That does not mean it is not effective at the ranges it was designed for.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:20 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancslaughter View Post
I think if they ever do switch it needs to be a happy medium between 5.56 and 7.62 something like the 6mm x 35 round KAC developed for the pdw
Is there really a reason to consider changing things? we have the best rifle in the AR, we also have the old M14 for long rang work, along with all the other defensive weapons...the US is doing very well with this, and I don't see a need for change...just stop all the wars so we wont use up all our ammo

Old 01-20-2014, 10:26 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
I could have put that better. I think the designers knew that the 5.56 was not going to be as effective as the 7.62. That does not mean it is not effective at the ranges it was designed for.
I think the designer knew that the round was devastating and diminished at longer range

Old 01-21-2014, 01:24 AM   #90
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2654 Times on 1849 Posts
Likes Given: 1351

Comparing one round to another is good reading, but it is inaccurate. The real choices are, do you want 20 of 7.62x39, or 30 of 5.45x39 with a flatter trajectory and a tumbling bullet. (Numbers rounded up) All that in bursts or full auto, with rapid depletion. We know their answer- same as ours.