What will be the next US army rifle? - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > What will be the next US army rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2014, 05:55 PM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 95 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancslaughter View Post
Actually that is one of the reasons the military uses it. It is listed in quite a few study guides and doctrines the military uses so it is fact. The 5.56 round does do a lot of damage I agree I have seen a guy shot in the hip have an exit wound out of his neck because the round struck bone and redirected on a upward path then ricochet off another bone in his spine and finally exit the backside of his neck. He survived but is a paraplegic and is also probably still rotting in an Iraqi prison. I have hit a guy multiple times with 5.56 and had him still mobile and I've hit others with 2 shots and they dropped it all depends on where they are hit and how the round traveled. And yes you can drop a deer with it because your using a hunting load not 5.55 NATO ball.

Ac
I do not believe for a second that the military chose this round for any other reason than its the best choice. The part that it wounds people and causes others to help them is nothing more than any other round in the past.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:57 PM   #72
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5521 Times on 2883 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Anecdotal evidence of individuals being wounded and continuing to fight is not proof of a specific caliber being a poor round.

By that logic the german 7.62x57mauser bullet is worthless because after getting hit by a mg42 During the battle of the bulge sergeant nicholas oresko went on to wipe out a machine gun nest after being shot with one.

Sgt oresko earned a medal of honor and died at the age of 96...

For every instance anyone comes up with someone's third cousin who works as a trainer for the navy seals saying the 556 is inneffictive and just wounds with no effect, I can pull from the rolls of actual military combat of much more powerful rounds wounding with the wounded prtson continuing to fight. From actual military records. Not just hearsay.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 01-20-2014, 06:02 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
I'm not sure what you're talking about. I just hit enter when I have a new thought. Closest I can do to paragraphs.

Well that's one of the more arrogant things I've read here to date. On that note I'm gonna bow out of the conversation.
Seriously? its the MOST arrogant thing you read hear...come on man...it ain't even close...but I do try

Last edited by MaineMan; 01-20-2014 at 06:15 PM.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:13 PM   #74
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 753 Times on 504 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default What will be the next US army rifle?

I've seen people live thru and sometimes fight through bigger caliber hits than 5.56 I saw a dude hit at least 13 times with a coax on a Bradley fighting vehicle and even though his entire back was one giant exit wound he still managed to craw about 15 feet towards an RPG and a pkm rifle before he croaked. Now when I saw snipers using 300 win mag with match ammo that wasn't ball them mofos did not get back up or move more than a couple inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Anecdotal evidence of individuals being wounded and continuing to fight is not proof of a specific caliber being a poor round.

By that logic the german 7.62x57mauser bullet is worthless because after getting hit by a mg42 During the battle of the bulge sergeant nicholas oresko went on to wipe out a machine gun nest after being shot with one.

Sgt oresko earned a medal of honor and died at the age of 96...

For every instance anyone comes up with someone's third cousin who works as a trainer for the navy seals saying the 556 is inneffictive and just wounds with no effect, I can pull from the rolls of actual military combat of much more powerful rounds wounding with the wounded prtson continuing to fight. From actual military records. Not just hearsay.

I

this message was sent using my Barrett 50 straight to your brain.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:16 PM   #75
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1845 Times on 1314 Posts
Likes Given: 2079

Default One More time..............

We as a whole, have diviated from the original post. The hell you say. Some mods ought to respect the words from thoughs that fought. And not just because it was written and shown on TV..................Till this day I look for my father and uncles filmed in the heat of battle at the bulge where my father got his silver star, or my uncles on Iwo...............And for the camera man that gave his life for those to see in the future...............

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 01-20-2014, 06:34 PM   #76
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5521 Times on 2883 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
We as a whole, have diviated from the original post. The hell you say. Some mods ought to respect the words from thoughs that fought. And not just because it was written and shown on TV..................Till this day I look for my father and uncles filmed in the heat of battle at the bulge where my father got his silver star, or my uncles on Iwo...............And for the camera man that gave his life for those to see in the future...............
Sgt Oresco wasn't a tv or movie action hero. He was a real person who earned the medal of honor. The battle of the bulge was a real event in a real war that happened in the 40's...

Go look him up

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-20-2014, 06:35 PM   #77
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1183 Times on 760 Posts
Likes Given: 2317

It is interesting that the government has stayed with the AR platform so long. Just over 40 years now? What's so interesting though is the lack of innovation in the last 40 plus years. Not many other firearms remained the main battle rifle (or carbine if you prefer) for 40 plus years but all of the rest were replaced because technology moved on and something better came along. Rifles replaced muskets in the Civil War and metallic cartridges came into existence to replace muzzle loading rifles. Rifles with magazines then came along to replace single shots. Various manual actions were tried until the bolt action was introduced. The M1 Garand came along in WWII and replaced manually operated actions. It was refined and became the M14 and then the AR platform took advantage of new material and a smaller caliber to replace that. There really hasn't been any major advances in firearm technology since then but the technological advances for everything else have been unimaginable. That's interesting at least for me.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:42 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
It is interesting that the government has stayed with the AR platform so long. Just over 40 years now? What's so interesting though is the lack of innovation in the last 40 plus years. Not many other firearms remained the main battle rifle (or carbine if you prefer) for 40 plus years but all of the rest were replaced because technology moved on and something better came along. Rifles replaced muskets in the Civil War and metallic cartridges came into existence to replace muzzle loading rifles. Rifles with magazines then came along to replace single shots. Various manual actions were tried until the bolt action was introduced. The M1 Garand came along in WWII and replaced manually operated actions. It was refined and became the M14 and then the AR platform took advantage of new material and a smaller caliber to replace that. There really hasn't been any major advances in firearm technology since then but the technological advances for everything else have been unimaginable. That's interesting at least for me.
some things just cant be improved upon, and others have to wait for the solution to present its self

Last edited by MaineMan; 01-20-2014 at 06:45 PM.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:58 PM   #79
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

I'm very confused why everyone is getting upset here.... No one is insulting anyone's father or calling his service into question...

Always have clean socks.

People Like This 
Old 01-20-2014, 07:04 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
I'm not sure what you're talking about. I just hit enter when I have a new thought. Closest I can do to paragraphs.

Well that's one of the more arrogant things I've read here to date. On that note I'm gonna bow out of the conversation.
sorry for being a douchebag in this conversation...sometimes the beer and the computer get the best of me