What will be the next US army rifle? - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > What will be the next US army rifle?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2014, 05:18 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 354
Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
The way I see it the next new rifle for the army will be a phaser something like star trek. There isn't a rifle on the market that is vastly better than the M16/M4.
What about the HK 416?

Sent from my PAP4500TDUO using Firearms Talk mobile app
__________________
Mark_Van_Goth is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:22 PM   #62
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North West,Maine
Posts: 384
Liked 95 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 138

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancslaughter View Post
Actually that is one of the reasons the military uses it. It is listed in quite a few study guides and doctrines the military uses so it is fact. The 5.56 round does do a lot of damage I agree I have seen a guy shot in the hip have an exit wound out of his neck because the round struck bone and redirected on a upward path then ricochet off another bone in his spine and finally exit the backside of his neck. He survived but is a paraplegic and is also probably still rotting in an Iraqi prison. I have hit a guy multiple times with 5.56 and had him still mobile and I've hit others with 2 shots and they dropped it all depends on where they are hit and how the round traveled. And yes you can drop a deer with it because your using a hunting load not 5.55 NATO ball.



Ac
It's illegal to use FMJ for hunting so I would never do that...but my friends do, and I can tell you that when that 5.56 round enters the deer, it starts to yaw, and tumble, and creates a deadly force.

To say that the round was designed to wound is completely false as far as I know. It really makes no sense to think like that as far as I can see.

We just went with a lighter round because the military felt that it was the best tactic, most soldiers at the time engaged the target at under 100 yards (or whatever) so there was not so much need for a big heavy hard hitting M14.
__________________
MaineMan is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:34 PM   #63
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 354
Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancslaughter View Post
Actually that is one of the reasons the military uses it. It is listed in quite a few study guides and doctrines the military uses so it is fact. The 5.56 round does do a lot of damage I agree I have seen a guy shot in the hip have an exit wound out of his neck because the round struck bone and redirected on a upward path then ricochet off another bone in his spine and finally exit the backside of his neck. He survived but is a paraplegic and is also probably still rotting in an Iraqi prison. I have hit a guy multiple times with 5.56 and had him still mobile and I've hit others with 2 shots and they dropped it all depends on where they are hit and how the round traveled. And yes you can drop a deer with it because your using a hunting load not 5.55 NATO ball.



Ac
I know a guy, a crazy Serb, that was hit 3 times by a 5,56 in the torso and was strong enough to keep fighting until reinforcements arrived(some minutes) before passing out.If it would have been a 7,62x39, a 5,45x39, a 7,62x51 I don't think he would be able to do that.

Sent from my PAP4500TDUO using Firearms Talk mobile app
__________________
Mark_Van_Goth is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:15 PM   #64
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JW357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,716
Liked 3727 Times on 2284 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Default

"I know a guy..."

"My friends shoot deer..."

This thread is turning into another BS caliber war.

The fact of the matter is no one can predict what ANY caliber does when it enters the human body.

The 5.56 is a high velocity rifle round. It is lightweight. That is basically the extent of all we need to know.

Designed to kill vs wound? Who cares?

__________________

Always have clean socks.

JW357 is offline  
5
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:23 PM   #65
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North West,Maine
Posts: 384
Liked 95 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 138

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
"I know a guy..."

"My friends shoot deer..."

This thread is turning into another BS caliber war.

The fact of the matter is no one can predict what ANY caliber does when it enters the human body.

The 5.56 is a high velocity rifle round. It is lightweight. That is basically the extent of all we need to know.

Designed to kill vs wound? Who cares?
Actually the effects of the 5.56 are very predictable if you have any type of knowledge on the subject.

I care when people start saying things like the 5.56 was designed to wound and not kill...maybe I shouldn't, but that's just me
__________________
MaineMan is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:40 PM   #66
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JW357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,716
Liked 3727 Times on 2284 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineMan View Post

Actually the effects of the 5.56 are very predictable if you have any type of knowledge on the subject.

I care when people start saying things like the 5.56 was designed to wound and not kill...maybe I shouldn't, but that's just me
So you can predict where you're going to hit a target that is shooting back at you, and what the bullet is going to do inside the body? What bones or organs it hits? You can predict whether or not your target is on Khat or some other drug? Or that the adrenaline in his body won't reduce the effects?

If you can predict all that, and more that I can't think of at the moment, then I say we go ahead and clone you and make your clones the entire military.

There's more to putting down a BG than simple caliber ballistics.
__________________

Always have clean socks.

JW357 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:42 PM   #67
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North West,Maine
Posts: 384
Liked 95 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 138

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
"I know a guy..."

"My friends shoot deer..."

This thread is turning into another BS caliber war.

The fact of the matter is no one can predict what ANY caliber does when it enters the human body.

The 5.56 is a high velocity rifle round. It is lightweight. That is basically the extent of all we need to know.

Designed to kill vs wound? Who cares?
please quit double spacing your comments, its F'd up and makes it distracting
__________________
MaineMan is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:44 PM   #68
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North West,Maine
Posts: 384
Liked 95 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 138

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
So you can predict where you're going to hit a target that is shooting back at you, and what the bullet is going to do inside the body? What bones or organs it hits? You can predict whether or not your target is on Khat or some other drug? Or that the adrenaline in his body won't reduce the effects?

If you can predict all that, and more that I can't think of at the moment, then I say we go ahead and clone you and make your clones the entire military.

There's more to putting down a BG than simple caliber ballistics.
yes we can predict it and with most certainty...I'm sorry you can't
__________________
MaineMan is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:49 PM   #69
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JW357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,716
Liked 3727 Times on 2284 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineMan View Post

please quit double spacing your comments, its F'd up and makes it distracting
I'm not sure what you're talking about. I just hit enter when I have a new thought. Closest I can do to paragraphs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineMan View Post

yes we can predict it and with most certainty...I'm sorry you can't
Well that's one of the more arrogant things I've read here to date. On that note I'm gonna bow out of the conversation.
__________________

Always have clean socks.

JW357 is offline  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:50 PM   #70
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North West,Maine
Posts: 384
Liked 95 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 138

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
I'm not sure what you're talking about. I just hit enter when I have a new thought. Closest I can do to paragraphs.



Well that's one of the more arrogant things I've read here to date. On that note I'm gonna bow out of the conversation.
as you should
__________________
MaineMan is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
In Reversal, Army Bans High-Performance Rifle Mags Bigcountry02 Legal and Activism 3 05-27-2012 05:17 PM
U.S. Army~Between the .38 and .45 ACP Bob Wright Ammunition & Reloading 4 08-16-2011 03:22 PM
One Man Army dnthmn2004 The Club House 5 07-28-2011 05:07 PM
Army M24 Sniper Rifle Fixes in the Works IGETEVEN General Rifle Discussion 8 03-11-2010 06:15 AM