What will be the next US army rifle? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > What will be the next US army rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 01:58 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4795 Times on 2681 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The rumors about new military rifles has been going around for ever. The Government changes arms about as often as Hally's Comet comes around.
Texgunner Likes This 
Old 01-19-2014, 06:00 AM   #12

Liked 47 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Well...I'll tell you what I heard
1)They will stick to the 5,56,
2)The most probable candidate is in fact a piston-driven (short-stroke gas piston) AR
3) They say it will probably be the HK 416, since ti is extremely reliable and accurate as a M16.The rifle can be operated as any other AR 15, HK made available a kit that makes it possible to turn your AR into a HK 416(upper receiver replacement) in a hurry.These factors whould make the army save a lot or money and time(training, production of a new platform, etc).
5) A scar or any derivative of it would be too expensive(you shoul re-equip and retrain all your troops tp use a new platform)

6)Intersting but not directly related to this post: I've heard that army is working on a bullpup version of the m14, called bulldog 762.It seems that the seals has already used it in afghanistan.Is it true?

Sent from my PAP4500TDUO using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 01-19-2014, 08:22 AM   #13

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Not happening any time soon. Military was testing various rifles (and pistols) for the last several years. Funding was cut last year and the Army went with some very basic upgrades to the current stock of M4s, not sure what the other services did but im sure its close to the same.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:26 AM   #14

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

http://www.defensemedianetwork.com/stories/individual-carbine-program-is-dead/

Old 01-19-2014, 11:10 AM   #15
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8167 Times on 4211 Posts
Likes Given: 9380

They test new weapons systems all the time, thats not new, even the m4 wasnt all that new a design just decades worth of learning from the original AR frame. NATO nor our military budgets will be allowing for any huge shifts in light arms anytime soon, any investments in new will be geared towards unmanned defense, offense and observation or force protection with better vehicle and body armor not Crunchy Toys. Our current biggest threat is not a technologically advanced fighting force, its chicken Sh!ts with IED's and Snipers that hide in villages were trying to protect (I dont know why we would even try!!!).

Any major shift in long light arms will likely only come with an entire new platform and a variable fire and forget projectile that cant even be called a bullet anymore. Nano tech and other miniaturization capabilities are coming of age and Dick Tracy Hardware isnt out of our reach anymore!

Old 01-19-2014, 02:01 PM   #16

Liked 2055 Times on 1074 Posts
Likes Given: 392

As a taxpayer I sure hope not. The armed forces has plenty of weapons for specialized roles and will continue to acquire them as needed. The original M16 platform has evolved and morphed into a very fine weapon for most, not all, uses.

The years of what Ike correctly tagged the 'military industrial complex' have created a lot of waste and unnecessary spending. We need to spend our defense dollars wisely and make sure there are enough $$ leftover to take care of those that take care of us.
MaineMan Likes This 
Old 01-19-2014, 02:10 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4146 Times on 2816 Posts
Likes Given: 2068

For all Internet flak the AR has taken, it may actually outlive the AK as a modern military rifle. I get to read some quotes. The Russian Defense Minister himself has referred to the AK as technically and morally obsolete.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:02 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6734 Times on 3583 Posts
Likes Given: 504

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
What rumors, anyway?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Van_Goth View Post
Well...I'll tell you what I heard
1)They will stick to the 5,56,
2)The most probable candidate is in fact a piston-driven (short-stroke gas piston) AR
3) They say it will probably be the HK 416, since ti is extremely reliable and accurate as a M16.The rifle can be operated as any other AR 15, HK made available a kit that makes it possible to turn your AR into a HK 416(upper receiver replacement) in a hurry.These factors whould make the army save a lot or money and time(training, production of a new platform, etc).
5) A scar or any derivative of it would be too expensive(you shoul re-equip and retrain all your troops tp use a new platform)

6)Intersting but not directly related to this post: I've heard that army is working on a bullpup version of the m14, called bulldog 762.It seems that the seals has already used it in afghanistan.Is it true?

Sent from my PAP4500TDUO using Firearms Talk mobile app
none of it is true. its all internet mall ninja wishful thinking. actual tests by the dod proved that piston driven m16/ar15 are NOT more reliable than direct impinge driven m16/ar15. they are about the same. since di is cheaper to build and easier to maintain there will be no switch ever to piston driven m16 platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
For all Internet flak the AR has taken, it may actually outlive the AK as a modern military rifle. I get to read some quotes. The Russian Defense Minister himself has referred to the AK as technically and morally obsolete.
the m16 already has. the soviets are phasing out and have been phasing out the ak47 for a 5.45 cartridge since the 80's. the soviet military almost never totally shelves anything so it wiulll be quite a while before the ak47 totally leaves soviet service.

until someone invents a cheaper more compact lighter means of deleviring lethal energy to a target for war purposes the 5.56 m4 carbine is going to be in the hands of our troops
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Last edited by JonM; 01-19-2014 at 03:10 PM.
People Like This 
Old 01-19-2014, 03:35 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1563 Times on 1060 Posts
Likes Given: 1702

There is NO plans to replace the 5.56 NATO or the M16/M4..............

Old 01-19-2014, 03:58 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3729 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Seems like a new thread asking about this gets started once every couple weeks.

Everyone saying that they're keeping the M16 / M4 is correct.

All this is public information. And a little research into reputable sources goes a long way.
People Like This