What will be the next US army rifle? - Page 18
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > What will be the next US army rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2014, 04:39 PM   #171
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
People the military does not use an AR 15 or an M4 as we see them on the civilian market. The military needs one weapons system with interchangeable parts. Lots of people mentioned recoil being a problem with a 5.56x45 cartridge. No one that recoil sensitive can make it through basic training. The recruit is going to get bounced around a lot in PT. He/she will wash out long before they get to qualify with any weapons. In combat ones adrenaline is rolling. Getting blinded by flash is not going to be an issue.
Has the 5,56x45 is a "strong" recoil?I don't think so....that's one of the reason it is so controlable

Old 02-02-2014, 04:52 PM   #172
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1606 Times on 1099 Posts
Likes Given: 558

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Van_Goth View Post
Has the 5,56x45 is a "strong" recoil?I don't think so....that's one of the reason it is so controlable
That is my thoughts exactly. That is why I said anyone who is that recoil sensitive is going to wash out in basic. You are going to take a lot of shock just in PT.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 02-02-2014, 04:56 PM   #173
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 412 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 128

The reason for changing to 5.56 and other intermediate cartridges was for their light recoil, to allow controllable semi and full automatic fire.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:35 PM   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineMan View Post
did you serve in the US military?
No.Once I moved to the USA, I was already a a JNA retired soldier, former SV vet and paramilitary fighter of the new born Croatian rep.When we moved, I had a a wife and teenage son and I was a "little too old"(I was 30).So a further career in the USA forces was not an option(as you may imagine, I had other priorities).But it doesn't matter...even if I didn't serve the Us armed forces, I consider the USA as my true home.And I know a "couple of things" about the war and respect anyone who served in any conflict, regardless of the colour,age or the type of uniform.During my life I've got the privilege to learn several techniques from soldiers from Yugo, Russia, Israel, France,Germany and the USA armed forces.Believe me: they all deserve respect.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:35 PM   #175
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2039 Times on 1067 Posts
Likes Given: 392

I think what we will see next is 'smart' bullets as well as more mission specific type weapons not a 'main battle rifle' because that type of warfare is a thing of the past

Old 02-02-2014, 07:52 PM   #176
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1099 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 458

I'm surprised no one has brought up LSAT. They're already past the point where the ACR project brought development of the G11 to. In a few more years, we'll begin to see the first practical weapons using caseless ammunition. The telescoped-cased ammunition articles have already surpassed project goals and are near the weight target for the caseless ammunition articles.

It won't replace conventional cased cartridges overnight, but having a weapon that can carry double the ammunition for the same weight will be the type of advancement that the 5.56MM cartridge brought over the 7.62MM cartridge, especially for machine guns.

Whereas the G11's mechanism was fantastically complicated to satisfy the burst accuracy requirement, the LSAT technology demonstrators use conventional feeding methods and tests indicate that it works pretty well.

Although not without its share of developmental problems, the weapon/ammunition engineering and caseless cartridge development are about to pay off.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:53 PM   #177
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
I'm surprised no one has brought up LSAT. They're already past the point where the ACR project brought development of the G11 to. In a few more years, we'll begin to see the first practical weapons using caseless ammunition. The telescoped-cased ammunition articles have already surpassed project goals and are near the weight target for the caseless ammunition articles.

It won't replace conventional cased cartridges overnight, but having a weapon that can carry double the ammunition for the same weight will be the type of advancement that the 5.56MM cartridge brought over the 7.62MM cartridge, especially for machine guns.

Whereas the G11's mechanism was fantastically complicated to satisfy the burst accuracy requirement, the LSAT technology demonstrators use conventional feeding methods and tests indicate that it works pretty well.

Although not without its share of developmental problems, the weapon/ammunition engineering and caseless cartridge development are about to pay off.
caseless ammo has been played with for several decades now. don't know where the problems are as to why it's not been developed yet and used. but i think it will be still quite a while before we see any widespread use of caseless ammo.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:31 AM   #178
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 971 Times on 641 Posts
Likes Given: 1253

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankTop View Post
Or another way to ask, is there a published statistical reliability study of the M4 vs X/Y/Z? Since we rarely go full auto with an M4 (no experience but what I've been told by many soldiers just back from Afghanistan), is there a trade off for a more powerful round vs felt recoil. Which brings me back to my previous posts of the next real upgrade will be optics. Optics possibly attached to a more powerful rifle with better penetration. My guess is that sooner rather than later the days of raining lead in the general direction of a target are drawing to a close with the exception of a couple light automatic weapons in each team specifically for that.

Furthermore I foresee is a "scope" with GPS, IR, thermal, range finding which networks with many different systems. These could be attached to high powered semi auto rifles. I can also imagine the M.U.L.E from General Dynamics ( or similar ) equipped with a auto loading mortar with a smart guided munition and a rapid launched UAV for aerial surveillance and even possibly target painting. The military shelved future soldier because of cost. This tech is getting cheaper, smaller and lighter. It's not if but when and with "The War on Terror" and the cash machine printing money now is the time (insert green text).

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
Well, allrighty then....

Become steel or get cut.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:53 PM   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
caseless ammo has been played with for several decades now. don't know where the problems are as to why it's not been developed yet and used. but i think it will be still quite a while before we see any widespread use of caseless ammo.
Such weapons were not developed since the HK tryouts.This technology is pretty expensive, bulky and heavy.As you may know, the next generation of weapons will have one barrel with multiple rounds already in it/multiple barrel with the same configuration.Such weapons will be triggered electronically(I don't remember the name of the tech, but I know it already exists in the USA).

Old 02-04-2014, 06:12 PM   #180
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 507 Posts
Likes Given: 49

It's the metalstorm tech your thinking of and iirc it was developed in Australia

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

this message was sent using my Barrett 50 straight to your brain.