You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

What will be the next US army rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2014, 10:52 PM   #151
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 990 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Van_Goth View Post
Noted.As I said the AR platform is a great one...but in my modest opinion, it should be modified a little bit to be..."perfect".There isn't much work that has to be done, a relatively small investment should be enough.
I'm interested in what modifications you would make to the platform for perfection?

Become steel or get cut.
MaineMan Likes This 
Old 02-01-2014, 11:29 PM   #152

Liked 95 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 138

Quote:
Once you're "in", you never "leave" it.As I said in a comment...I have a son that is serving in Afghanistan...and I want him to have the best equipment, it may make the difference between a "welcome home" and a body bag(I'm sure you know what I'm talk in about)
did you serve in the US military?

Old 02-01-2014, 11:30 PM   #153
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 990 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
what the hell is wrong wtih being emotional about some punk kids teasing a wounded veteran? yeah, i would have been emotional as hell myself! since when is it mine or anyone else's place to teach some punk kids some respect and and decency towards other people? i'll give you a clue. it's not! it's the parents place and that's where the blame falls.

and your it takes a village to raise a child is totally wrong. it takes a parent to raise a child. the village didn't bring the child into the world, the parents did.

BTW, children learn by getting their asses busted when they make mistakes.
Axxe is spot on.. It takes active parents to raise confident, secure, dignified, respectful children. WE are born with the knowledge of right or wrong it is written upon our hearts. It's the parents responsibility to nurture it.

AS far as the "Village" thing goes, it's only about how fast the information gets to the parents that little Johnny and Sally are up to no good. At least it was when I was growing up.. (I could never outrun an ass beating it was always waiting)

Kids are going to be kids, when they intrude or cross over "a line" they need to be told ie. reminded. Unfortunately this can end up in a "confrontation" with a number of youth And most good people do not want confrontation.

AS for that story Of the wounded "Private US Marine at Walmart." If I'd of observed a disabled Marine in uniform getting harassed I guaraaaaaantee you I'd of been in a emotional state of ASS KICKING commencement. However I truly believe that I would have to be preventing that Marine from Killing someone, given his FIGHTING SPIRIT..... Marines (GOD lovem and I do too) are some Anal retentive Sons of Beaches when it comes to Orders, Uniforms ,standing ground, and taking ground.

Become steel or get cut.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-01-2014, 11:55 PM   #154
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1796 Times on 922 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Talon View Post
I'm interested in what modifications you would make to the platform for perfection?

Or another way to ask, is there a published statistical reliability study of the M4 vs X/Y/Z? Since we rarely go full auto with an M4 (no experience but what I've been told by many soldiers just back from Afghanistan), is there a trade off for a more powerful round vs felt recoil. Which brings me back to my previous posts of the next real upgrade will be optics. Optics possibly attached to a more powerful rifle with better penetration. My guess is that sooner rather than later the days of raining lead in the general direction of a target are drawing to a close with the exception of a couple light automatic weapons in each team specifically for that.

Furthermore I foresee is a "scope" with GPS, IR, thermal, range finding which networks with many different systems. These could be attached to high powered semi auto rifles. I can also imagine the M.U.L.E from General Dynamics ( or similar ) equipped with a auto loading mortar with a smart guided munition and a rapid launched UAV for aerial surveillance and even possibly target painting. The military shelved future soldier because of cost. This tech is getting cheaper, smaller and lighter. It's not if but when and with "The War on Terror" and the cash machine printing money now is the time (insert green text).

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 02-02-2014, 12:21 AM   #155

Location: First 42 years in Maine Past 19 years in Alaska now back in Maine
Liked 55 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
I can show you my war decorations, pictures of the war and documents where it is clearly written that I was discharged with honor. can you show me yours?Have you ever been in action?Have you ever spilled your own blood for your country, family, friends?Have you ever seen your relatives/friends die in front of you?I guess you haven't. That's why you don't show any kind of respect.Cod...how the hell can you even think about comparing a game to a vet's life?!What a moron...That's why so many vets ask themselves what did they fought for....

BTW:I spilled my blood, lost my brother and dozen of friends in combat.My son is now serving in Afghanistan.Please, be so kind to tell us what have you done or you're doing in your life to even dare to talk like that?
Got my DD214 in 1972. Yes I hated the M16 at first then I fell in love with my best friend, as long as I kept her clean. To this day I still have an AR15. Don't need a piston system, just a good cleaning kit.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-02-2014, 12:44 AM   #156
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6246 Times on 4130 Posts
Likes Given: 3211

Mark. Knock off the drama. This is Internet. You're a maggot just like everybody else.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:54 AM   #157

Liked 95 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryM View Post
Got my DD214 in 1972. Yes I hated the M16 at first then I fell in love with my best friend, as long as I kept her clean. To this day I still have an AR15. Don't need a piston system, just a good cleaning kit.
I have had my AR for 3 years now...no clue as to how many rounds, probably not more than 600, so no big deal...but I have never cleaned it...I throw it in the truck during hunting season, it sets in the corner of the bed room collecting dust in the mean time. It has fallen in the dirt a few times, and I just wipe it off. It never fails to operate. I REALLY think this "I have to keep my AR clean" business is a little over blown.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:12 AM   #158

Liked 2225 Times on 1528 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankTop View Post
Or another way to ask, is there a published statistical reliability study of the M4 vs X/Y/Z? Since we rarely go full auto with an M4 (no experience but what I've been told by many soldiers just back from Afghanistan), is there a trade off for a more powerful round vs felt recoil. Which brings me back to my previous posts of the next real upgrade will be optics. Optics possibly attached to a more powerful rifle with better penetration. My guess is that sooner rather than later the days of raining lead in the general direction of a target are drawing to a close with the exception of a couple light automatic weapons in each team specifically for that.

Furthermore I foresee is a "scope" with GPS, IR, thermal, range finding which networks with many different systems. These could be attached to high powered semi auto rifles. I can also imagine the M.U.L.E from General Dynamics ( or similar ) equipped with a auto loading mortar with a smart guided munition and a rapid launched UAV for aerial surveillance and even possibly target painting. The military shelved future soldier because of cost. This tech is getting cheaper, smaller and lighter. It's not if but when and with "The War on Terror" and the cash machine printing money now is the time (insert green text).

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
We already have the technology to knock out all electronics with a magnetic pulse. We just haven't figured out how to protect our electronics from a magnetic pulse. Plus light electronics that can be mounted on a rifle would fail from the use of tactical nukes. We have to have our soldiers trained to use a rifle with iron sights anyway you shake it. Everyone knows most of our soldiers haven't dealt with anything that isn't guided by electronics since AIT. If we ever go to war with a country that will meet our military on a battlefield the first thing they are going to do is kill all electronics.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:16 AM   #159

Location: First 42 years in Maine Past 19 years in Alaska now back in Maine
Liked 55 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineMan View Post
I have had my AR for 3 years now...no clue as to how many rounds, probably not more than 600, so no big deal...but I have never cleaned it...I throw it in the truck during hunting season, it sets in the corner of the bed room collecting dust in the mean time. It has fallen in the dirt a few times, and I just wipe it off. It never fails to operate. I REALLY think this "I have to keep my AR clean" business is a little over blown.
I agree with you, and I do the same in the everyday world. But in a jungle or sand box I'd still clean every chance that I could. Right or wrong that is just me. It is like a butt if you don't clean it, it will get sticky within time.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:21 AM   #160
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22401 Times on 12496 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryM View Post
I agree with you, and I do the same in the everyday world. But in a jungle or sand box I'd still clean every chance that I could. Right or wrong that is just me. It is like a butt if you don't clean it, it will get sticky within time.
i keep my AR spotlessly cleaned and oiled. gets cleaned everytime it's been used. but i now it can go without cleaning if i didn't have the opportunity if for some reason to be able to clean it.

cleaning is a natural ritual for me and my firearms. it was something my father taught my brother and i about guns. shoot them, then clean them.
Quentin Likes This