What will be the next US army rifle? - Page 13
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > What will be the next US army rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2014, 04:59 PM   #121
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 46 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
Some of those are some pretty big assumptions on your part. Answering numbers 3 and 4, yes as a matter of fact I can.

Regarding number 1, why would I need to? I can collapse the buttstock on an already short length gun. Besides, if the military deems it appropriate that they need a folding buttstock on their rifles, they can buy a bunch of them and replace all the current ones with folding ones. No reason to completely swap out the rifle because of a buttstock.

An M4 only jams when not properly maintained, just like any other rifle. Getting them back into the fight is usually a very quick matter.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Firearms Talk mobile app
I would like to see you doing it(point 3 and 4) with an AR.Regarding the foldable stock:have you ever shot the M4 where there was very little room or almost no room for the buttstock(let's say from a car)?You would be surprised how many times I had to fold my bstock in real combat conditions.Regarding the maintainance: E.g. I've personally seen an AK buried for 13 years directly into the ground(dirty and rusty) being shot without being cleaned-it worked.I don't believe an AR could do that.But yes...you're right...you have to maintain your rifle to make it work.
Jagermeister Likes This 
Old 01-26-2014, 05:47 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
What HK lacks is manufacturing capability. HK has one plant in the US. While the M4 doesn't even require a plant to build. In war times millions of rifles need to be produced quickly. The M4 can be produced with simple CNC machinery that is readily available in any city. Factories can focus on producing barrels and nothing else. Barrel machinery that was built in the 1950's can be used to bolster production. HK products are not so simple to build. Many of HK's patents are property of the German government. They can be taken away with the blink of an eye.

When Jerusalem fell the Jews were counting on the Egyptians for calvary. When the Romans attacked Jerusalem the Egyptians decided to sit that one out. The Egyptians liked their horses, camels and well trained soldiers. The Egyptians were not going to risk their finest on a poorly laid battle plan. We cannot allow history to repeat itself. Our military has to be independant. We have to be able to produce everything right here in the USA.
I think you're right.The quality is the strongest point of HK, but the manufacturing capability is not the best one.And yes...HK products are really expensive (a MP5 costs about 900...but..you know...when you shoot it, you know what you paid for)But I don't if sacrificing the quality for the quantity is a good option.One one hand, you're 200% right, on the other...well...your arguments could be heavily argued.

Sent from my PAP4500TDUO using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 01-27-2014, 07:19 PM   #123
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3666 Times on 2519 Posts
Likes Given: 1809

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
What HK lacks is manufacturing capability. HK has one plant in the US. While the M4 doesn't even require a plant to build. In war times millions of rifles need to be produced quickly. The M4 can be produced with simple CNC machinery that is readily available in any city. Factories can focus on producing barrels and nothing else. Barrel machinery that was built in the 1950's can be used to bolster production. HK products are not so simple to build. Many of HK's patents are property of the German government. They can be taken away with the blink of an eye.

When Jerusalem fell the Jews were counting on the Egyptians for calvary. When the Romans attacked Jerusalem the Egyptians decided to sit that one out. The Egyptians liked their horses, camels and well trained soldiers. The Egyptians were not going to risk their finest on a poorly laid battle plan. We cannot allow history to repeat itself. Our military has to be independant. We have to be able to produce everything right here in the USA.
Correct me if I am wrong, wasn't Egypt conquered by the Romans before Jerusalem?

Old 01-27-2014, 07:22 PM   #124
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2472 Times on 1324 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, wasn't Egypt conquered by the Romans before Jerusalem?
I think he meant the Babylonians.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 01-27-2014, 10:44 PM   #125
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3666 Times on 2519 Posts
Likes Given: 1809

Being self sufficient makes us stronger, no question about it. I am encouraged that we are projected to become worlds largest oil pump in 2014, ahead of Russia and the Saudis for the first time in history.
Mark_Van_Goth Likes This 
Old 01-28-2014, 12:09 AM   #126

Liked 641 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 2016

Default What will be the next US army rifle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Van_Goth View Post
Just to make some example:
1)Can you fold the buttstock on your M4?you can't
< Last I checked, U.S. Troops don't typically shoot from a vehicle. >

2)Can you drop your M4 into water and shoot it without completely draining it?you can't.
< How often do you swim with your rifle?? >

3)can you completely disassembly it in less than 30 sec(let's say that you have to fix a serious malfunction)?you can't.

< It doesn't take more than 30sec to pop two pins and pull out the BCG and CH. >

4)Can you repair it quickly with tool of fortune?You can't.
< Depends on what needs to be fixed. The AR is easier to completely disassemble than most other rifles. It doesn't require any machinery, just a wrench. >

5)How often does the M4 jams if compared to the other rifles?A lot of times, army's test clearly shown it.

...and the list goes on. < Indulge us... >

The AR is a really a great platform, but it needs some radical improvments. I dare anyone to prove that rifles like the G36 and HK 416 perform "just slightly better".

See above comment

Old 01-29-2014, 11:10 AM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptar19 View Post
See above comment
Originally Posted by Mark_Van_Goth View Post
Just to make some example:
1)Can you fold the buttstock on your M4?you can't
< Last I checked, U.S. Troops don't typically shoot from a vehicle. >
Shooting from a vehicle is not the only situation where you have operate/use your rifle with folded buttstock.

2)Can you drop your M4 into water and shoot it without completely draining it?you can't.
< How often do you swim with your rifle?? >
Well I had to "swim" my rifle several times(while in combat, rivers and a lakes).And guess what?There was no critical malfunction once I had to use it.Try to do it with a M4 with direct infringement...WITHOUT DRAINING IT..let's see what happens.

3)can you completely disassembly it in less than 30 sec(let's say that you have to fix a serious malfunction)?you can't.

< It doesn't take more than 30sec to pop two pins and pull out the BCG and CH. >
...am..what are you talking about?Field strip or malfunction fixing?Something else?

4)Can you repair it quickly with tool of fortune?You can't.
< Depends on what needs to be fixed. The AR is easier to completely disassemble than most other rifles. It doesn't require any machinery, just a wrench. > Lol.there are several rifles that are easier to disassembly and to repair than an AR...and just wrench?Are you sure?

5)How often does the M4 jams if compared to the other rifles?A lot of times, army's test clearly shown it.

...and the list goes on. < Indulge us... >(Don't worry...the list is too long)

The AR is a really a great platform, but it needs some radical improvments. I dare anyone to prove that rifles like the G36 and HK 416 perform "just slightly better".

Old 01-29-2014, 12:06 PM   #128

Mark_Van_Goth, something tells me that you don't really know anything about the AR platform.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:27 PM   #129

Liked 752 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptar19 View Post
Mark_Van_Goth, something tells me that you don't really know anything about the AR platform.
Come now he is a smooth operator in a low drag/high speed armchair. Probally kicks ass at COD too.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:29 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchunt101 View Post
Come now he is a smooth operator in a low drag/high speed armchair. Probally kicks ass at COD too.

Made my day!!