Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > What will be the next US army rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2014, 06:17 PM   #111
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
The Galil is my most favorite semi-auto rifle I have ever owned. It was chambered in .308 though. Now, if I had my choice, I would go with the G36. I loved trying out this gun from my friend in the Bundeswehr. He was issued both a G3 and a G36. Sorry M4 fans...
Where are you from Never...your story sounds really familiar to me...I
I even know some guys from the Bundeswehr(German army for those how don't know)

Sent from my PAP4500TDUO using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 01-25-2014, 06:20 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
What advantage have they over the M/4.
The HK 416 and the galil ACE are more reliable and are as accurate as the M4.They are even easier to use and to maintain.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:42 PM   #113

Liked 356 Times on 251 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
The HK 416 and the galil ACE are more reliable and are as accurate as the M4.They are even easier to use and to maintain.
For them to change they would need to have a big advantage over the M/4 ,not just they are a bit more reliable and easer to maintain.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:59 PM   #114
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2002 Times on 1086 Posts
Likes Given: 721

The evolution of the US Army's primary rifle has been a story of major improvements over the last 100 years.

The Garand was far superior to the Springfield and every other battle rifle of the time. The M-14 was a major technological innovation over the Garand. The M-16 was a significant improvement in weight, ammunication capacity, and maintenance over the M-14. What is out there that has a significant advantage over the M-4/M-16?

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA
People Like This 
Old 01-25-2014, 11:34 PM   #115
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1752 Times on 907 Posts
Likes Given: 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
What is out there that has a significant advantage over the M-4/M-16?
Nothing. And change for the sake of change makes little sense when talking about the shear numbers involved
Old 01-26-2014, 12:08 AM   #116

Liked 941 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Van_Goth View Post
As far as I know, the US military gave old M16 to other countries and allies(Afghanistan, Iraq, etc). The M16 used in Vietnam didn't proved how good it is.The design was acceptable but the bad materials it was made of, the wrong ammo and bad maintenance habits shown its weak points.I could say some things even about the M70 I was carring during the Yugo War.
We are both war veterans(You=Vietnam war, I=Yugo civil war), Quentin.We both somehow "respect" the weapons that kept us alive and let us fight for our cause.You had the M16, I had a M70(AK47/AKM derivative).Let's be honest: Our rifles were far from being perfect.
Any firearm will have problems if poor magazines, poor ammo and poor maintenance are involved. Around 1968 the M16A1 (along with better magazines, ammo, training and cleaning kits) had greatly improved reliability. Today's M16/M4 and milspec AR-15 perform quite well.

The M16 I had in 1968 was new but I honestly don't know if it was the A1 or not. (Never used the forward assist if it did have one...) Anyway it worked just fine but I've always been good at getting most mechanical devices to work. (You should see my old truck that no one else can drive!)

Today's Colt, FN, BCM, DD, LMT and others are much better rifles though. Maybe not perfect but the Army got it right, you aren't gonna get much better going with a new rifle at this time. When something significantly better comes along, then we'll talk about it.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 01-26-2014 at 12:11 AM.
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 01-26-2014, 12:15 AM   #117

Liked 941 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 929

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
The evolution of the US Army's primary rifle has been a story of major improvements over the last 100 years.

The Garand was far superior to the Springfield and every other battle rifle of the time. The M-14 was a major technological innovation over the Garand. The M-16 was a significant improvement in weight, ammunication capacity, and maintenance over the M-14. What is out there that has a significant advantage over the M-4/M-16?
As the Army determined last year there is nothing significantly better. Lots of folks want us to go with a piston AR but then we've entering the land of diminishing returns for the dollars invested.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 01-26-2014, 10:05 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
Nothing. And change for the sake of change makes little sense when talking about the shear numbers involved
Just to make some example:
1)Can you fold the buttstock on your M4?you can't
2)Can you drop your M4 into water and shoot it without completely draining it?you can't.
3)can you completely disassembly it in less than 30 sec(let's say that you have to fix a serious malfunction)?you can't.
4)Can you repair it quickly with tool of fortune?You can't.
5)How often does the M4 jams if compared to the other rifles?A lot of times, army's test clearly shown it.

...and the list goes on.

The AR is a really a great platform, but it needs some radical improvments. I dare anyone to prove that rifles like the G36 and HK 416 perform "just slightly better".

Old 01-26-2014, 12:37 PM   #119
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1382 Times on 939 Posts
Likes Given: 474

Quote:
2)Can you drop your M4 into water and shoot it without completely draining it?you can't.
3)can you completely disassembly it in less than 30 sec(let's say that you have to fix a serious malfunction)?you can't.
5)How often does the M4 jams if compared to the other rifles?A lot of times, army's test clearly shown it.

...and the list goes on.

The AR is a really a great platform, but it needs some radical improvments. I dare anyone to prove that rifles like the G36 and HK 416 perform "just slightly better".
What HK lacks is manufacturing capability. HK has one plant in the US. While the M4 doesn't even require a plant to build. In war times millions of rifles need to be produced quickly. The M4 can be produced with simple CNC machinery that is readily available in any city. Factories can focus on producing barrels and nothing else. Barrel machinery that was built in the 1950's can be used to bolster production. HK products are not so simple to build. Many of HK's patents are property of the German government. They can be taken away with the blink of an eye.

When Jerusalem fell the Jews were counting on the Egyptians for calvary. When the Romans attacked Jerusalem the Egyptians decided to sit that one out. The Egyptians liked their horses, camels and well trained soldiers. The Egyptians were not going to risk their finest on a poorly laid battle plan. We cannot allow history to repeat itself. Our military has to be independant. We have to be able to produce everything right here in the USA.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 01-26-2014 at 01:05 PM.
nchunt101 Likes This 
Old 01-26-2014, 02:15 PM   #120
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3721 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Some of those are some pretty big assumptions on your part. Answering numbers 3 and 4, yes as a matter of fact I can.

Regarding number 1, why would I need to? I can collapse the buttstock on an already short length gun. Besides, if the military deems it appropriate that they need a folding buttstock on their rifles, they can buy a bunch of them and replace all the current ones with folding ones. No reason to completely swap out the rifle because of a buttstock.

An M4 only jams when not properly maintained, just like any other rifle. Getting them back into the fight is usually a very quick matter.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Firearms Talk mobile app

Always have clean socks.