Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   What is so special about a K98 action? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/what-so-special-about-k98-action-89411/)

Jasson 04-23-2013 08:19 PM

What is so special about a K98 action?

Hey guys, probably a silly question but can you guys please help me understand what is so special about a K98 action? Also what makes an action good? Thanks

smarquez 04-24-2013 12:13 AM

I think for most, it is the claw feed extractor, also called controlled round feed. It is a big piece of metal on the bolt. I like them for this. I also like the old school notion of a 98 Mauser action. They are as strong as anything out there in almost all cases. There are still commercial actions available out there available to build custom rifles and I think FN branded rifles are out there built with the commercial version.

jjfuller1 04-24-2013 02:00 AM

They are amazing. So well made. I have used my pinky finger to work the action and it was as smooth as if I wasn't even touching it... Took very very little strength

cottontop 04-24-2013 03:11 AM

The 98 Mauser action is the action by which all others are judged. Practically every bolt action out there is based on the Mauser action. Even the U.S. Springfield action is based on the Mauser and when the Springfield came out, it was so close to the Mauser that the USA had to pay Germany for patent infringements. The famous Winchester Model 70 is nothing more than a modified 98 Mauser. And there are many others.
ct

303tom 04-24-2013 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasson (Post 1224484)
Hey guys, probably a silly question but can you guys please help me understand what is so special about a K98 action? Also what makes an action good? Thanks

Your kidding right ?......................

SSGN_Doc 04-24-2013 03:58 AM

In perspective of today's actions it isn't that special anymore.

In the historical perspective it also happens to have been the bolt action that brought together the features that were incorporated and mimicked and then tweaked to make most if today's modern bolt actions.

In 1898 it offered two large front lugs which gives good lockup and strength to handle some pretty high pressure rounds. The independent extractor claw which gives good controlled feeding and positive extraction. The staggered box magazine that could be reloaded with stripper clips. The bolt handle acting as a third safety lug. A large gas shield at the rear if the bolt to shield the shooters face from gases in the event of a pierced primer. Gas vents in the bolt body to redirect the same gasses in the event of a pierced primer. The three position safety that allowed for unloading with the safety on.

All if these features coming together in a single rifle design at that time was significant enough that not a lot changed for over 100 years since the design.

cottontop 04-24-2013 12:27 PM

m98

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc (Post 1224984)
In perspective of today's actions it isn't that special anymore.

In the historical perspective it also happens to have been the bolt action that brought together the features that were incorporated and mimicked and then tweaked to make most if today's modern bolt actions.

In 1898 it offered two large front lugs which gives good lockup and strength to handle some pretty high pressure rounds. The independent extractor claw which gives good controlled feeding and positive extraction. The staggered box magazine that could be reloaded with stripper clips. The bolt handle acting as a third safety lug. A large gas shield at the rear if the bolt to shield the shooters face from gases in the event of a pierced primer. Gas vents in the bolt body to redirect the same gasses in the event of a pierced primer. The three position safety that allowed for unloading with the safety on.

All if these features coming together in a single rifle design at that time was significant enough that not a lot changed for over 100 years since the design.

I'm sorry, BUT, it IS very special still. The 98 is still highly sought after as the basis for custom sporters. I have several custom sporters based on the Mauser action and I like them better than the M70 Win. and the M700 Rem's I also have.

BTW, the bolt handle DOES NOT act as a third locking or safety lug on the M98. There actually is a smaller locking/safety lug just forward of the bolt handle that is smaller than the front two massive locking lugs. If you have a M98, go look at the bolt and you will see what I am referring to.
ct

303tom 04-24-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasson (Post 1224484)

The guys are right, one of the strongest actions of the time, only one other action stronger & that was the type 99 Arisaka...............

SSGN_Doc 04-24-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cottontop (Post 1225192)
I'm sorry, BUT, it IS very special still. The 98 is still highly sought after as the basis for custom sporters. I have several custom sporters based on the Mauser action and I like them better than the M70 Win. and the M700 Rem's I also have.

BTW, the bolt handle DOES NOT act as a third locking or safety lug on the M98. There actually is a smaller locking/safety lug just forward of the bolt handle that is smaller than the front two massive locking lugs. If you have a M98, go look at the bolt and you will see what I am referring to.
ct

Thanks for the clarification. You are correct about the third locking lug on the bolt body. It's been about 20 years since I owned a '98.

And don't get me wrong in what I meant when I said it isn't that special. That was strictly in the context of current design. But when taken in the context that most modern designs may not have happened without it it is indeed special. The fact that the 1898 design is still viable for modern sporters and custom rifles is a testament to the enduring success of the design.