what`s the worst rifle you know? - Page 8
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

what`s the worst rifle you know?


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2013, 11:53 AM   #71
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,202
Liked 601 Times on 430 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Default

I would say the Japanese Arisaka in 7.7 was the most uncomfortable to shoot than about any I have tried, although the materials and mechanics are said to be very sound,, it is about as user friendly as a porcupine being used as an oven mitt,, way too short in the butt stock, the bolt end smacks your thumb when shooting, the bolt angle and trigger are very cumbersome to me. All in all, a very crappy rifle to me,, I will stick to Herr Mauser's design myself.
yazul42 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #72
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6579 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazul42 View Post
I would say the Japanese Arisaka in 7.7 was the most uncomfortable to shoot than about any I have tried, although the materials and mechanics are said to be very sound,, it is about as user friendly as a porcupine being used as an oven mitt,, way too short in the butt stock, the bolt end smacks your thumb when shooting, the bolt angle and trigger are very cumbersome to me. All in all, a very crappy rifle to me,, I will stick to Herr Mauser's design myself.
Keep in mind, they were designed for the generally smaller Japanese man to use. I'm guessing your not 5' 6" - 5' 7" (average male height in Japan)
texaswoodworker is offline  
Axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:14 PM   #73
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Mercator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 9,151
Liked 4622 Times on 3121 Posts
Likes Given: 2337

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Keep in mind, they were designed for the generally smaller Japanese man to use. I'm guessing your not 5' 6" - 5' 7" (average male height in Japan)
The average height of a German POW captured after the D-Day was 5'6", according to the War Department stats. The Japanese were much shorter then. Your point is valid, only the numbers are off

Last edited by Mercator; 11-26-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Mercator is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:47 PM   #74
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,202
Liked 601 Times on 430 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Default

I definitely agree th =e rifles were designed for smaller troops and I'm about 6 4" and most all service rifles are too short for me, including our rifles, but the Arisaka is even more so. The rifle's owner,, one of my old friends from Odessa Tx., even had some of the wooden bullets for the rifle along with what appeared to be a bamboo armorer's tag or something that was tied with a silk looking braid around the bayonet lug. A nice piece of history but still a pain to shoot.
yazul42 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:46 PM   #75
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6579 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
The average height of a German POW captured after the D-Day was 5'6", according to the War Department stats. The Japanese were much shorter then. Your point is valid, only the numbers are off
True, the numbers are off a bit. I don't know what the average height in Japan was in the 1940s. I was using the modern average.
texaswoodworker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:48 PM   #76
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6579 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazul42 View Post
I definitely agree th =e rifles were designed for smaller troops and I'm about 6 4" and most all service rifles are too short for me, including our rifles, but the Arisaka is even more so. The rifle's owner,, one of my old friends from Odessa Tx., even had some of the wooden bullets for the rifle along with what appeared to be a bamboo armorer's tag or something that was tied with a silk looking braid around the bayonet lug. A nice piece of history but still a pain to shoot.
Therein lies the problem. If the gun was scaled up some, you'd probably find it more enjoyable.
texaswoodworker is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:24 PM   #77
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
unclebear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bardstown,Kentucky
Posts: 1,111
Liked 187 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 185

Default

I would have to say one of the worst rifles i've owned was the colt 22 styled after an M4, for me the gun was reliable when it came to feeding and shooting but the problem I had was the gun wasn't really all that great for hunting. It was accurate and felt good in the hands but over all it's just not a hunting gun it's more of a plinking gun.

Also I forgot to mention the damn thing was a giant pain to take apart and clean, had to take a lot of stuff out of the gun in order to get actual guts out, also a lot of screws.
__________________
"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED
unclebear is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:10 PM   #78
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bobski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Va., Ct. & Mo.
Posts: 4,497
Liked 994 Times on 772 Posts

Default

chipmunk 22 is pretty lame.
id hate to grow up with it as a heirloom, only to find out how cheap my dad was later in life.

its already happening to some, as they find out their family heirloom single shot stevens crackshots are only 40.00 guns today at tag sales. i see it all the time in 'whats it worth' forums.
__________________
Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Contact Man for the FTF Shotgun Shoot
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/6th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-9-10-2015-a-114464/
bobski is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:19 PM   #79
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 58
Liked 8 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter
Remington 742 Woodsmaster in 30-06. Lots of jamming issues, cheap construction, not worth a damn after first shot. A cheaply made gas gun
That's all I have at the moment as far as a hunting rifle. It's my grandfathers and it's held up well so far. Planning to buy a bolt action in .30-06 soon and put that one away and just keep it for an heirloom.
gmwilkes is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:41 PM   #80
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6579 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski View Post
chipmunk 22 is pretty lame.
id hate to grow up with it as a heirloom, only to find out how cheap my dad was later in life.

its already happening to some, as they find out their family heirloom single shot stevens crackshots are only 40.00 guns today at tag sales. i see it all the time in 'whats it worth' forums.
Where the heck are you finding Stevens Crackshots that cheap? I want one.
texaswoodworker is offline  
MisterMcCool Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
AK Best and Worst deadsp0t AK & SKS Discussion 16 01-21-2013 02:21 AM
The best of the worst tCan General Handgun Discussion 38 03-03-2012 09:48 PM
Best and Worst lukeisme General Shotgun Discussion 5 01-24-2010 07:07 PM
Worst of the two? skullcrusher The Club House 8 11-04-2009 05:57 PM
Best and worst mr1911 1911 Forum 30 08-24-2009 01:54 PM



Newest Threads