Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Whats a decent (cheap) .243 deer rifle? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/what-s-decent-cheap-243-deer-rifle-26550/)

venado 04-27-2010 10:53 PM

Whats a decent (cheap) .243 deer rifle?

Ive got about an extra $300 so Im thinking about picking up a .243 (or something like that) to go deer hunting with. Since Im pretty much totally ignorant as far as guns go (the only guns Ive even owned were a .22 and a 20 guage for squirrel hunting) I figured maybe someone could give me some suggestions. Ill probably just be hunting around the woods/fields where I live in East TN. I just say that Im looking for a .243 because I figure anything smaller might not do the job so other ideas would be welcome.

Also, while your at it, you could suggest where I should try to find the gun. [The .22 I bought from a little gun shop and I think I got ripped off pretty badly and the 20 guage was from Wal-Mart ($80!).]

Thanks.

venado 04-27-2010 10:54 PM

Whats a decent (cheap) deer rifle? (.243?)

Ive got about an extra $300 so Im thinking about picking up a .243 (or something like that) to go deer hunting with. Since Im pretty much totally ignorant as far as guns go (the only guns Ive even owned were a .22 and a 20 guage for squirrel hunting) I figured maybe someone could give me some suggestions. Ill probably just be hunting around the woods/fields where I live in East TN. I just say that Im looking for a .243 because I figure anything smaller might not do the job so other ideas would be welcome.

Also, while your at it, you could suggest where I should try to find the gun. [The .22 I bought from a little gun shop and I think I got ripped off pretty badly and the 20 guage was from Wal-Mart ($80!).]

Thanks.

JonM 04-27-2010 11:01 PM

my suggestion is to irst go take a hunter safety course. you do not need a rifle to take such a course. this will allow you to speak with other hunters in your area and get a good idea of what sort of rifle works well in your terrain.

my preferred deer round is 458 caliber but rifles chambered in such tend to bust the 300$ limit you have set for yourself. my second choice would be my ruger .44mag carbine.

venado 04-27-2010 11:10 PM

I took a hunters safety course a few years back and I remember one guy I went deer hunting with usually uses a .243 but on that ocasion he actually lent me his .223 which took my deer down easily with one shot. Keeping my price limitations in mind, are you saying that the Ruger .44mag carbine is my best choice? I just took a look on GunsAmerica and it looks like they can be more in the $500-$700 range.

jeepcreep927 04-27-2010 11:13 PM

As mentioned above, hit up a hunters' safety class.

As far as a rifle goes, Stevens 200 will be just under 3 bills, Marlin's XS7 Youth is just over as is Mossberg's 100 ATR. I have a Steven's 200 and it's not a pretty rifle, but it does shoot. .243 is an excellent choice.

Good luck.
A little late as you were typing while I was... .22 calibers are NOT deer worthy. You might have gotten lucky before, but the 6mm's are pretty much minimum standard.

Wambli 04-27-2010 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by venado (Post 277011)

Thanks.

A Stevens is in your price range and it's a nice working gun but you do understand you need another few $$$s for a scope right? Are you expecting a $300 rilfe and scope combo? Shop the big box sporting goods stores like Academy and Dick's and look for specials. Also go through the used gun racks at the local gun stores. Sometimes you find some jewels for very little money.

BTW a .243 will be fine for what you need. A .223 shoots them just as dead with the proper bullet selection too but if you go that way you have to make sure you get a rifle with a fast rifling twist to handle the heavier .223 bullets that are suitable for deer.

Poink88 04-27-2010 11:46 PM

I just bought a .308 Weatherby Vanguard for $395...a bit over your budget but I think well worth the extra $100.

BTW, the close contender was a .270 caliber.

On top of that, you also need to budget for a scope.

Poink88 04-27-2010 11:50 PM

Check this

Weatherby Vanguard 243 SYN for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $395.00

Poink88 04-27-2010 11:53 PM

or this..

Remington 770 SPT BOLT 243 W/SCOPE for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $301.00

canebrake 04-27-2010 11:55 PM

Savage Arms > Firearms > Browse Models

Edge $329

Edge XP $379