Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > what rifle has the largest bullet and lowest recoil

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 10:16 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 622 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 611

The Biggest bullet w/ a light recoil. IMHO A 9.3x57 w/ a 286gr partition. My M46a Husqvarna has the recoil of a .223. Good for any game up to 150 yards. You can also load 270, 250 or 232gr bullets.
A .358 Winchester Might be a VG option for a U.S. caliber. Similar to the 9.3x57.
.358 Winchester - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Both cartridges are easy on the shoulder, but hit like a wrecking ball.

165gr .308 left, 286gr Partition on right.

M46a, fast, accurate and reliable:

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:19 PM   #22

Liked 2149 Times on 1450 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster View Post
hey hoss that isnt one of them marlin x7 is it if so dont listen to the bs crowd about how entry level it is them damn entry marlin x7 shoot like a dream
Agree on the Marlin but this is a Mossberg youth model - comes with stock extention for us "grown ups" too

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 11-09-2011, 10:26 PM   #23

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY

Agree on the Marlin but this is a Mossberg youth model - comes with stock extention for us "grown ups" too
Well no frowns here on the mossy hell of a gun to I was really shocked how good my xl7 shot tho I now have 3 but I wouldnt turn down a mossy4x4 or the atr either

Old 11-09-2011, 10:30 PM   #24

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster View Post
Get real a brown bess come on
I'm being realistic. If we're talking about simply bullet size, weight, and recoil then you can't beat a Brown Bess. Now if we're talking about an overall cartridge that's a different story. It also depends on the firearm, because you could take a lever action rifle chamber it for the 500 Smith and Wesson cartridge and have a very powerful rifle without the recoil of lets say a .458 Winchester Magnum.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 11-09-2011, 10:34 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firearms4ever

I'm being realistic. If we're talking about simply bullet size, weight, and recoil then you can't beat a Brown Bess. Now if we're talking about an overall cartridge that's a different story. It also depends on the firearm, because you could take a lever action rifle chamber it for the 500 Smith and Wesson cartridge and have a very powerful rifle without the recoil of lets say a .458 Winchester Magnum.
Ok read the question its for a 14 yr old so like I said get real hell lets give the kid a 416 rigby while were at it but u did make sense to parts of the thread so I was not tryin to sound like a ass to ya either hope u didnt take me that way

Old 11-09-2011, 10:45 PM   #26

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Not at all just mearly stating that the Brown Bess is the biggest caliber rifle, unless you go with the .950 JDJ, which is considered a destructive device. That aside, getting back to the question at hand the cartridges already mentioned are viable options. A 30-30 like the Marlin 336 or the Winchester 1894 would be viable options as well. (I didn't read everyone's reply so I apologize if I restated the 30-30.)

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 11-09-2011, 10:54 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firearms4ever
Not at all just mearly stating that the Brown Bess is the biggest caliber rifle, unless you go with the .950 JDJ, which is considered a destructive device. That aside, getting back to the question at hand the cartridges already mentioned are viable options. A 30-30 like the Marlin 336 or the Winchester 1894 would be viable options as well. (I didn't read everyone's reply so I apologize if I restated the 30-30.)
The 30/30 was my first gun a model 94 which I killed several feral hogs as well as several river bottom muley bucks long live the lever guns

Old 11-10-2011, 01:36 AM   #28

Haha the nosy sheep dog was on my g-pas he has goats and chickens that are grandpa Petes pride n joy the dang thangs also still his deer horns from south texas so he hates him plus they run off deer ugh i just dream bout em falling with .300 win mag rippin thru the skull plus the owners real rude bout are hunting… any how um try a 30/30 model 94 winchester scope and irons real great guns with the inovation today and dont kick maybe medium weight

Old 11-10-2011, 01:52 AM   #29

Liked 712 Times on 430 Posts
Likes Given: 859

.257 Roberts is a great round also for beginner.

Do you reload? If so there are way more options open for you.
My 80 pound 12 year old shoots a .35 Remginton that I load
reduced recoil rounds for.

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 11-10-2011, 02:01 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickHarrison
Haha the nosy sheep dog was on my g-pas he has goats and chickens that are grandpa Petes pride n joy the dang thangs also still his deer horns from south texas so he hates him plus they run off deer ugh i just dream bout em falling with .300 win mag rippin thru the skull plus the owners real rude bout are hunting… any how um try a 30/30 model 94 winchester scope and irons real great guns with the inovation today and dont kick maybe medium weight
Dude sure hope u go easy with the 300 win rippin through skulls an crap like that people kinda frown at killin the neighbors pets these days better hope yer neighbor isnt readin that he might have some bbq chicken an goat on yer dime