What rifle to get for new scope?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > What rifle to get for new scope?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What rifle to get for new scope?

I was just given a Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x50 scope and am now trying to decide what rifle I should purchase to marry it to. I'm not familiar with scopes as I've always been an iron sights shooter. I have an M4 style AR-15 that I could mount it on, but this scope seems rather overkill for something that's not considered to be effective beyond 600 meters. I'm into military/tactical weapons and have been considering getting something in 7.62 NATO and have been looking at the M1A, AR-10, SCAR 17S, & SR-25, as well as a few others. Does anyone here have some good advice, based on experience, for me on this? Is this a good scope and would it work well with a .308/7.62 caliber rifle for long range targets?

(As a side note, I'm not really interested in a bolt action rifle at this time.)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1262 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 534

It is mostly personal preference, you already eliminated my first choice, no bolt actions.

I like 50 mm scopes on my hunting rifles because the larger objectives draw more light and you can hunt a few minutes longer in the evenings.

An AR10 in .308, 7mm08, 243, 6.5 Creedmore would be worthy of that optic.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:25 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6607 Times on 3681 Posts
Likes Given: 6264

I believe a 7.62X51 on the AR platform would be a good match for you.

Colt, Bushmaster, DPMS, Knight, LM&T, and probably half a dozen others make suitable platforms.

Anywhere from ~$1100 to ~$5000, depending on what you can afford, and how fancy you want. The Colt is a good compromise at around $1800.

The FN "FNAR" is also excellent. It doesn't look quite as tactical, bit it's equipped with a 20 round magazine, and it's quite accurate.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:11 AM   #4

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 793

You have a few issues. That 50mm Objective makes a dandy target. You also want a semi, which means you want to sit in place and hope for the best. If you really want to spend that much on a rifle that would make you stick out, have at it. Seems like alot of $$ to spend for something that has no practical use. The cheek weild will be horrible.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:14 AM   #5

Liked 2573 Times on 1673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh
You have a few issues. That 50mm Objective makes a dandy target. You also want a semi, which means you want to sit in place and hope for the best. If you really want to spend that much on a rifle that would make you stick out, have at it. Seems like alot of $$ to spend for something that has no practical use. The cheek weild will be horrible.
Why not a cheek riser to match the big objective? A quarter inch of so is plenty to compensate for the difference, right?

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 09-23-2012, 04:56 PM   #6

Liked 282 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Doesn't it make more sence to buy the rifle you want then the optics it needs. That scope makes a good hunting scope. If a mil type rifle buy a les baer AR- http://www.lesbaer.com/AR308.html

Old 09-23-2012, 08:52 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6607 Times on 3681 Posts
Likes Given: 6264

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
I would respectfully disagree. Strongly.

This would make a very practical rifle for both hunting, and if needed, SHTF.

And may I ask why a semi-auto would limit one to sitting in one place???

All military rifles are autos, semi or full, and a soldier's training stresses mobility above almost all else.

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz
V
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
Winston Churchill

Old 09-23-2012, 09:39 PM   #8

Liked 519 Times on 312 Posts
Likes Given: 236

Usually you get the rifle first, then a scope. The Zeiss is an excellent scope that belongs on a high quality rifle. This rifle is a Steyr Mannlicher Model M, 7x57. That calibre is similar to the 270. The scope is similar where power is concerned to yours. It's the Leupold Vari-X-III, 3.5x10. Your scope should be put on a bolt action hunting rifle that's similar to mine. I have a large collection of all types of weapons, but this one is really sweet and deadly where hunting is concerned. If you're not into hunting then sell the Zeiss so that someone else could take advantage of it's full potential and get yourself a military type rifle with a less expensive scope. You should do what you think would give you the most enjoyment.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:56 PM   #9

Thank you to everyone for your input. It looks like I'll be either trading it or selling it for something more fitting to my needs.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:43 PM   #10

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sounds like a good plan, it seemed to me like a cart before the horse program in the first place LOL