What rifle/caliber is best? - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > What rifle/caliber is best?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #81
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1104 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 242

There is no best rifle caliber, unless you believe the Warren Commission Report. Lol

Old 04-04-2013, 03:01 AM   #82
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2072 Times on 1225 Posts
Likes Given: 1007

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
There is no best rifle caliber, unless you believe the Warren Commission Report. Lol
Actually the exact opposite is true. For EVERY intended use/target there is a 'best' round (caliber/bullet) combination. But there are many rounds which are less than best which can still do an good job on the intended target.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 04-04-2013, 05:20 AM   #83

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Best statement yet

Old 05-29-2013, 06:09 PM   #84

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToHunt

That's what I'm talkin about!! I don't see why people get 300 win mags for whitetail deer?! If you can't kill any North American animal with a 243 you shouldn't be huntin.
Spend $8,000 on a hunting trip and see if you want to wait for the broadside shot your .243 would appreciate.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:57 PM   #85

Liked 226 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 108

22LR for small critters you intend to eat.
223 or 22-250 for Varmint
243 or 25-06 for mix of deer/varmint
6.5x55 or 270 for general purpose deer hunting
308 or 30-06 for large hogs
And I have never been bear/elk hunting so I will leave that to people who know more about that topic then me.

Best rifle depends on what fits you best. Virtually all modern bolt actions are capable of accuracy far in excess of what you need for hunting, I have yet to find a modern bolt rifle that I could not stroke to sub-MOA groups with handloads. For anyone on the fence, in my experience Tikka is the most accurate with factory ammo and my Winchester 70 Featherweight has the best overall feel of any rifle I have ever shot. I can only speak for hunting rifles, I don't even own a heavy barrel anything, I can dot an i at 200 years with my Tikka I will never need anything more accurate then that unless I take up 1,000yd F-Class shooting.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:22 PM   #86

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToHunt View Post

That's what I'm talkin about!! I don't see why people get 300 win mags for whitetail deer?! If you can't kill any North American animal with a 243 you shouldn't be huntin.
I disagree! Though a 243 is a nice round.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:22 PM   #87

Liked 226 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 108

The subject of the 243 is a touchy one that I will in no way shape or form pull any punches on. It is a dandy little deer dropping cartridge within reasonable/realistic range (out to 350 yards with some bullets) While not IDEAL for that task it does it without too many limitations and I never did feel handicapped using it since I don't really take any marginal shot angles anyway nor am I trying to kill something at 700 yards. Load it with 55-70gr bullets at blistering speeds and it makes for one helleva varmint blaster, so for light deer/heavy varmint use there is none better except maybe the 25-06 if you like a long action. I would however not use it on game larger then deer, yes I know it has been used on elk and large hogs before and I am not trying to argue with results but I think there are other cartridges that do the job better in every way while keeping recoil and weight to a minimum like the 7mm-08 for example.
There is nothing in North America that I would not take with a 243 in a survival situation but as far as hunting and being able to choose my weapons no way, I have bigger guns for that I shoot just fine. Just my $.02 flame it if you like.

Last edited by Apex-Predator; 05-30-2013 at 10:06 PM.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:14 PM   #88

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have used my Savage 16 in 243 to take deer and black bear, and love the accuracy and mild recoil,but the Husqvarna 9.3 x 62 comes out when I am hunting Moose, or likely to run into a grizzly (when I am lucky enough to win a permit here in BC, Canada).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex-Predator View Post
The subject of the 243 is a touchy one that I will in no way shape or form pull any punches on. It is a dandy little deer dropping cartridge within reasonable/realistic range (out to 350 yards with some bullets) While not IDEAL for that task it does it without too many limitations and I never did feel handicapped using it since I don't really take any marginal shot angles anyway nor am I trying to kill something at 700 yards. Load it with 55-70gr bullets at blistering speeds and it makes for one helleva varmint blaster, so for light deer/heavy varmint use there is none better except maybe the 25-06 if you like a long action. I ld however not use it on game larger then deer, yes I know it has been used on elk and large hogs before and I am not trying to argue with results but I think there are other cartridges that do the job better in every way while keeping recoil and weight to a minimum like the 7mm-08 for example.
There is nothing in North America that I would not take with a 243 in a survival situation but as far as hunting and being able to choose my weapons no way, I have bigger guns for that I shoot just fine. Just my $.02 flame it if you like.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:17 AM   #89

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

After hunting three seasons using a 243 Win my opinion is while it is a nice round and usefull for hunting many kinds of game it is not the best. While using a 300 Win Mag for the average White Tail is way too much over-kill, the 243 can be borderline too little. I find the 300 Savage, the 308 Win, 303 British, and the 270 Win are better calibers for most North American game except for the BIG Bears and some Bull Moose. I find the shots to take game with the 243 has to be more precise in shot placement on the medium and large medium game. Granted the light recoil of the 243 is a plus for better shot placement, you still have to use enought power to make a humane kill out to 300 yards and there is where the 243 Win appears to be borderline or not enough for a humane kill and since many of us do not shoot enough to insure good bullet placement really makes the 243 Win moore borderline and unaceptable as a hunting round for medium and large game. The trick is to use an accurate rifle, with a cartridge caliber that inherintly accurate and with enough energy to do the job and a humane kill on the targeted game animal and lots of range time to insure proper bullet placement. BUT you must use a caliber with enough energy and suffiecent diameter to produce a good blood trail to produce a good and humane harvest of the animal you are hunting.

V/R
J. Budd

Old 05-31-2013, 01:31 AM   #90

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The factory ammo that is available, e.g. Federal Premium Nosler Partitions in 243, my personal favourite, add a bit to the equation, I think. I agree shot placement is essential, and for me, much easier with the .243. I have killed 250lb Mule Deer at 300 yards with one shot, more than once. Black bear shots I limited to around 100 yards.

I picked up the 9.3 x 62 because I want to use as much gun as I can handle for Grizzly.

I found a really interesting report and chart - google Myth Busting Big Game Calibers - showing strong support for .308 as the optimum cartridge. Lots of interesting data.