What rifle/caliber is best? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > What rifle/caliber is best?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2010, 12:58 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I suppose we all have our pet calibers and a back and forth about which is best could go on for days. It would amaze me how many people would get it all wrong though. The 30.06 is the choice if there is a limit to one. A 55 grain sabot round all the way to 220 grains. Rats to moose, and everything in between! The other day I was in the CMP store looking at an M1 Garand with a forward mounted scout scope. If I ever have to become a one gun rifleman, that's the direction I'm going in. Maybe not the best choice for a first time gun buyer, but a great place to end up.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

artbrownsr Likes This 
Old 06-28-2010, 04:28 AM   #12

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default best of the best

great thread ...the best rifle/ caliber is one that you shoot the best ,most comfortable with in terms of #1 trust ...in yourself in all scenarios..only comes with practice #2 your weapon ..reliability #3 the willingness to do whats nessessary...be it a .22lr up to a .50bmg.. ive got dozens of guns ..but the best overall,all around all scenario rifle i have is my remington pump 7600 synthetic .308 .upgrades are ati pistol grip buttstock ,sling ,tally mounts ,3x9 nikon ,custom trigger job,10 shot steel magazines....done some digging these work great.this rifle is a great companion to the 870 because the controls ,slide/safety are the same this gun just plain works and in .308 any breathing entity be it man or beast can be dispatched with 1 well placed shot

Old 06-28-2010, 06:36 AM   #13

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Interesting read. And I think it can hep people looking for info without the hands on experience but are looking for a rifle.

Anyplace is as good a starting place as any. Get what you get and get good with it. Most shooters wont be able to shoot we well as their weapon. It's the reason I usually will tell new people to start smaller and work up. But some what that feeling of the bigger ones right off the bet. Either way it really doesn't matter as long as the shooter does not get discouraged and stop trying to learn more and get better.

I do think getting a rifle that works within the area you are in makes a great deal of sense. A 1,000 yard rifle really don't mean much if you can't get that kind of range to shoot. People like me that live in the hills probably wont have much use for a rifle like that. But weapons that are accurate at 250 yds. are almost a must have. But I do like having something that is big enough to drop anything that might be wandering around the hills with me too. So I always beieved it was a good thing to think down the road and make sure you are not underpowered too. It's a balance thing for me.

Opaww as usual your posts make me think. Must be a Kentucky thing Keep on keepin' on friend.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-25-2010, 02:31 AM   #14

Default 7.62x54r

7.62x54r and is better if it is military grade steel core surplus ammo.
The real deal
An oh yes a mosin nagant for everyone at $120 a pop, there will be enough cash to get everyone one.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:12 PM   #15

Default Old thundersticks

For years I have collected Mosins, 1917 P-17 and P-14 Enfilds, 303 British Enfields, Mausers, Arisakas, K-31s, (simply insert endless list here). I have a matched pair of BRNO 98/29 8mm Mausers and am wondering if anybody has seen or shot one of this type rifle that has been scoped.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:57 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Good information

Very good, opaww. I can fully agree with everything you said. And reloading is essential, from a cost perspective, as well as a shooting/accuracy perspective.
Ex., I have a .308 Norma magnum built on a pre '64 Winchester action. With reloading, I can vary my specs and loads from a light .308, to .30-06, and to full 300 Winchester magnum. Reloading is what makes this possible. I have loads that allow me basically to hunt anything on the North American continent. I can shoot anything from a light 125 grain bullet all the way up to 220 grains. Reloading is what makes this possible.
Again, thank you for all your information.

NRA Life member
USPSA Life member
USCCA member
NRA certified Instructor
Vietnam combat veteran - USMC 1st Recon '66-'67
CCW holder 20+ years

US Marine - no better friend, no worse enemy

Old 11-29-2010, 01:03 AM   #17

OMG...O..H...M...Y...G...O...D...The universal question that has all but started world wars. The best answer to that question is...Pick a weapon that is aesthetically pleasing to your eyes. Then see how it fits your frame and hold style. Doesn't matter what it is. Single shot,pump,bolt action,semi auto, double, lever action...Whatever you feel most comfortable with. Then pick a cartridge that you can shoot consistently into the target area of your choice. The 'best' for a hundred others may be your nemesis. Pick one that delivers terminal performance in accordance with your specific needs.

I personally own a couple dozen rifles ranging from 22LR to 50BMG and everything in between. My favorites for hunting are a Remington 700 in 7mm Rem Mag, Win mod 94 TurdyTurdy, Marlin 1895 45/70, a vintage Remington 600 in 6.5 Rem Mag, and a custom 98 Mauser in good ol' 30/06. Those cover anything I care to put on the ground animal wise.

I bought a Mod 700 in 7MM Ultra Mag...ran a few boxes through it and sold it. Ungodly creation that is good for nothing and ate a barrel in around 200 rounds. My 'TOYS' are a full spectrum of AR's in 5.56, 6.8 SPC,7.62x39, and my favorite and most recent addition, the 6.5 Grendel. A collection of Garands. Four M1A's. A couple of M1 Carbines. A few AK's in 47 and 74 guise. Several H&K91's in various states of battle dress. Two Barrett M82's, one in 50 and the other in 416. Then my favorites...a couple of Sharps 1874's in 50-140x3 1/4 and 45-120x 3 1/4.

A few others sit in the safe, but you get the idea. You can do like I do,go spend your life fortune on the addiction, or pick one or two that meet your needs. it's all a matter of what fits and works for you.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:26 PM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Yup. I've got a pair of K-31s, an 1895 Marlin, a Howa 7mm RM, a Saiga in 7.62 NATO, a couple of 22 rimfire rifles, a pair of 12ga shottys (one on an AK action) and a whole passel of pistols in 45 and 10mm. I'm set.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:08 AM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I saw the title of the thread and I thought, "Oh no, not another one of these".
I'm glad I decided to read further and found some intelligent material.
Thanks

Kim

jb8815 Likes This 
Old 12-25-2010, 08:41 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
Well done, my friend.
I have to second that. You did some research and put alot of thought in to it.

Alot of different factors play in to your choice. Pardon me if I repeat what was said in your post but I just skimmed it.

I live in a desert/mountain area. 20-30 minutes in any direction and you will be in a different enviorment. For me if I am going in to the mountains I like a Winchester model 94 lever action 30-30 for when I am on horse back with a .357 revolver, on the flats in the desert I like my Cetme or FAL in 7.62 Nato/.308 for long distance shooting with my Ruger 22/45.

The same goes for handgun calibers. I like to keep my weapon calibers simple. I purchase alot of military weapons and surplus ammo becasue if there is ever a SHTF day I would like to be able to resupply from what I find.

My hunting caliber's and rifles are time proven platforms .243, .270, .30-30, and .30-06 on Winchester and Remington platforms.

I love my old military bolt actions also Lee-Enfield, Mauser, Moisn Nagant and my semi's M-1Carbine, M-1 Garand, and AK's. The only hard thing about some of these rifles is finding ammo. But if you look you will find some. It took alot of time and effort to amass what I have.

Find yourself a good shotgun also in 12 or 20 guage. Then you should also find a good .22LR rifle and pistol. They are very handy.

One more point that I am not sure if anyone mentioned. Do you have kids? What ages are they? Will you outfit them? I have 4 boys and 1 girl that have been raised with weapons since they have been able to hold them. So each one of them has a bug out kit. Ruck, harness and weapon.

Sorry if I made thing more interesting.