What rifle/caliber is best? - Page 14
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > What rifle/caliber is best?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2014, 09:28 AM   #131
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2605 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentacop View Post
The best rifle is undoubtedly the M-1 Garand . It says so in the DVD, "America's Rifle-The M-1 Garand " from the Garand Collectors Association . If you want to order the DVD, it is 15 bucks including shipping . I enjoyed it ! www.thegca.org
Heard there were bears on the property. For a couple of days I kept

the Garand close. I wanted to be able to rock and roll, if they had

decided to stick around.

I recently opted for a new hunting rifle. Got a nice boltie, and scope, and without going into specifics

about the rifle right now,

I chose the caliber 30.06 for a few good reasons. Even though I'm hunting varmints, for the most part,

I wanted to be able to reach out a few hundred yards and touch something like a wild boar, or a bear.

I can always use 100 grain loads, and it will shoot fairly flat, for varmints.

Last edited by therewolf; 01-14-2014 at 09:33 AM.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:47 AM   #132

I agree but just for varmints you should look at 22-250. Insane speed dose a great job on coyote and or goffers.

Sent from my HTC One using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 03-06-2014, 04:07 AM   #133

Liked 2605 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

But it's NOT "just for varmints". The whole point is to have 1 rifle,

with variable loads and bullet weights for a variety of game.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:38 AM   #134

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

With that in mind. The 30-06 would be the best caliber.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 03-06-2014, 11:39 AM   #135

In that case yes 30-06 is the best rifle around . It's one with the widest range for bullet weight. I shoot 180 out of mine, but I'm also thinking about 243. Here in Canada that's the bare minimum you can use on big game. 22-250 is what we use on coyotes and coffers.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:17 PM   #136
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 49

It was said , "Beware of the man with one rifle, he will know how to use it."
One can switch bullets, and change the wt., or the type of bullet:varmit, deer, or larger game. When you switch weights you will change the ballistic cofficient (the ranging quality of a bullet) and this means ya better sight it in again- your bullet drop table will be different and so will your wind drift. The legendary Jack OConner seemed to feel "blessed" when a .270 would put 130 gr. bullets and 150 gr. bullets to the same point of impact at 100 yards without resighting a rifle.
Since you can't change the rate of twist, some rifles will stabilize both light weight and heavy weight bullet. Some will not. Many people find that their "06 will stabilize 125 grain bullets better than the 110 grain bullets.
If you are the most fortunate of men ,you may find some of the Remington cartridges that were .30-06 ,but came from the factory with a 55 grain bullet encased in a sabot. The velocity was quite high, accuracy in the 3-4" range. I'm not sure if it was the fact that with a sabot there was no rifling marks on the bullet itself and the Feds stepped in or what but I haven't seen these for a while.
Good luck and have fun.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:16 PM   #137
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 990 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonvdb View Post
I agree but just for varmints you should look at 22-250. Insane speed dose a great job on coyote and or goffers.

22-250 is a great caliber for varmints. i've used one for many years. My sister took an unexpected Mtn Lion with one in the 70's .. That Tom came creepin in one late afternoon when we were calling..

My kid sister caught his movement, and me "big hunter" was "yeah right" Sure as cowpies she got me on him...I set her up with my rifle.... A 55gr Hornady put him to dirt sleep...

Sis was birthin kittens after the shot with excitement lol.. And I was very proud...

The very best velocities/performance I've gotten have been with the 40grainers.

Become steel or get cut.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:40 PM   #138

Nice

Old 03-25-2014, 03:58 PM   #139

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default What rifle/caliber is best?

It would be the 338 winchester mag enough power for any animal in north america all bullets shoot the same poi at 100 yards always be over gunned not under gunned is what i was always taught

The other one is the 308 good power. Shoots straight buy amo at many stores even in smaller centres good range decisive in shtf or home defence situations

The problem with 223 which is still good is its bullet was designed with more weight in the back which causes the bullet to tumble on impact and wound more then kill ..223
bullets are light and lack penetration

It comes down to what you can shoot well is the best caliber just be kind to the animals you hunt and match your gun caliber to the game you hunt no 243 on grizz

Boredintr on Firearms Talk

Last edited by boredintr; 03-25-2014 at 04:01 PM.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:29 PM   #140
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5991 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 428

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredintr View Post
It would be the 338 winchester mag enough power for any animal in north america all bullets shoot the same poi at 100 yards always be over gunned not under gunned is what i was always taught

The other one is the 308 good power. Shoots straight buy amo at many stores even in smaller centres good range decisive in shtf or home defence situations

The problem with 223 which is still good is its bullet was designed with more weight in the back which causes the bullet to tumble on impact and wound more then kill ..223
bullets are light and lack penetration

It comes down to what you can shoot well is the best caliber just be kind to the animals you hunt and match your gun caliber to the game you hunt no 243 on grizz

Boredintr on Firearms Talk
all spitzer bullets .17-.50bmg are heavier in the base than the nose...

223 work just fine on deer and light game but are often given a pass because good hunting loads are seldom available in factory ammunition.

.223 has dispatched grizzlies.

would i hunt anything bigger than a yote with one?? nope. i got bigger guns for that.

im just not a fan of spreading myths about cartridges. the 5.56x45 nato was NOT designed or adopted in order to "wound" our nation's enemies. it was adopted because its lightweight easy to transport and nearly doubled the ammunition the average soldier could carry from 120 rounds to 210. the gun was a great decrease in weight and a favorite of troops who actually use it.

its a favorite with civilians for its light recoil easy handling.

it was never designed to wound. that was not part of the testing criteria or military submission process.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This