What rifle is best for me? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > What rifle is best for me?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 06:06 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: Washington...the state, not the District of Columbia
Liked 26 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I've been reading a lot of reviews on other sites as well as threads throughout this site. A lot of positive and negative feedback on Marlin, almost all negative reactions to the Remmington, but nothing but high praise for Ruger. The choice is pretty simple for me now. Next question regarding zeroing the rifle. How is it done on a firearm like this? The front and rear sights do not appear to be adjustable.
http://ruger.com/products/1022Carbine/specSheets/11129.html
11129.jpg  

Last edited by Shootnscoot; 07-25-2013 at 06:08 AM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-25-2013, 06:08 AM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3729 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootnscoot
I've been reading a lot of reviews on other sites as well as threads throughout this site. A lot of positive and negative feedback on Marlin, almost all negative reactions to the Remmington, but nothing but high praise for Ruger. The choice is pretty simple for me now.
Excellent choice. They're excellent guns. And you can get 25 round magazines for them. I can go on and on. I think you get my point.
People Like This 
Old 07-25-2013, 06:12 AM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55

read through some of his posts and you will get more than just a bad vibe.
Yup. Definitely a real winner.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:39 AM   #34
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3380 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn
Just out of the Army? Get an AR. Go with what you know.
Yeah, the OP will have to open his pocket a bit beyond $400. Unless he wants the Mossberg 715/T/718 .22 AR which can be had for as cheap as $275. Same action upper and barrel as my 702...keep it cleaned and lubed and she shoots anything, as Long as you don't get one of the few lemons that mangles mag feed lips.... If indeed your going with the Ruger (which I have and gave to the wife because I want another one in .22Mag.) then they made the excellent BX25 magazine and there are even 50 rd. ones out there, quality not guaranteed on those tho.

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 07-25-2013 at 07:08 AM.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:16 PM   #35

Liked 1960 Times on 1032 Posts
Likes Given: 4288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootnscoot View Post
I've been reading a lot of reviews on other sites as well as threads throughout this site. A lot of positive and negative feedback on Marlin, almost all negative reactions to the Remmington, but nothing but high praise for Ruger. The choice is pretty simple for me now. Next question regarding zeroing the rifle. How is it done on a firearm like this? The front and rear sights do not appear to be adjustable.
The front sight has a dovetail mount and the rear is adjustable...

Also many upgrades available too...

http://www.tech-sights.com/ruger3.htm

Last edited by vincent; 07-25-2013 at 01:18 PM.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:53 PM   #36

Liked 30 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn
Just out of the Army? Get an AR. Go with what you know.
I'd have to agree with you! But if you are going to hunt with the rifle make sure you check local laws. Some states don't let you hunt with semi-autos.
Remington 700's are great bolt guns. Lots of calibers too. FYI .308 is a great do anything caliber.

Have fun choosing a new toy.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:57 PM   #37

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

IIRC, the ruger 1022's rear sight has a sliding blade, which is locked in place by 2 little screws on the rear face of the rear sight? I don't recall it being a simple "step ladder" sort of deal? Call Brownell's Supply, make certain to get past the know-nothing order takers and speak to a real smith there. If the front sight is dovetailed, use a pc of hard plastic, alumninum or brass as a drift punch. Lock the front of the barrel in a padded vise, and arrange some support for the rest of the rifle, to keep it horizontal in the vise.

Use a knife tip (Exacto) to make a tiny scratch on the sight base and the barrel at that same point. Then if you have moved the sight with your hammer blows to the drift punch, you can SEE if you moved it, by comparing the alignment of the scratches, you see.

If the gun is printing its shots to the right of POA, point of aim, you move the front sight to the right. In thius same situation, if your rear sight is being moved, you'd move it to the LEFT. If your gun is printing above the POA, lower the rear sight. If you have to adjust with the front sight (ie, AR-15 original) you'd have to raise the front sight. (assuming that you are hitting above POA.) A 22lr is normally zeroed for 50 yds. Most center-fire, high velocity, bottle-necked rds are zeroed at 200-250 yds. Remember, just cause your irons are zeroed doesn't mean your scope is, (or vice-versa) and scopes are easily knocked out of alignment in shipping/travel.

Last edited by bildee; 07-25-2013 at 03:00 PM.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:53 AM   #38

Location: Washington...the state, not the District of Columbia
Liked 26 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Just made my final decision. I'm going for a Savage Axis bolt action in .223. I just made a down payment on it today. I can't wait to pick it up! Yes, it's a step up from .22LR, but I figure my first firearm as a civilian is a big purchase so it may as well be a good one!
People Like This 
Old 08-02-2013, 05:14 AM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootnscoot
Just made my final decision. I'm going for a Savage Axis bolt action in .223. I just made a down payment on it today. I can't wait to pick it up! Yes, it's a step up from .22LR, but I figure my first firearm as a civilian is a big purchase so it may as well be a good one!
Congrats on your decision! I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:21 AM   #40
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22251 Times on 12465 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootnscoot View Post
if the Savage Axis fits you, it will be a good rifle. i have shot a few of them and found them well made and pretty accurate. very solid rifle for the price. i highly recommend them as an inexpensive option for a rifle.

my problem with the Axis is not it's performance or it's quality, but the ergonomics. it just doesn't fit me as well as some others. that's why i said if it fits you. IMO, i think you made a fine choice and will be quite happy with it.
Shootnscoot Likes This