What rifle is best for me? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > What rifle is best for me?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 03:02 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts

Why not a nice hex Mosin? There are plenty out there for around $150-$200. With the extra cash, you could put a nice synthetic stock and any other accoutrements you want. If you decide to cut the barrel and make any other drastic changes, get a rough looking but decent bored round receiver Mosin for around $100-$150. Ammo is plentiful and you can find them almost anywhere!!

Old 07-25-2013, 03:21 AM   #22

Liked 1960 Times on 1032 Posts
Likes Given: 4288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootnscoot View Post
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I think I've narrowed my choices to Ruger 10/22 Carbine, Marlin XT-22, and Remmington 597. I'm leaning more towards the Ruger. Prices and parts availability will determine my final decision.
If you're leaning that direction, I say go for it!!

I own a 10/22 and an XT and am beyond happy with both...

You'll find the Ruger to be more customizable and with your price limit, you have some wiggle room for upgrades/accessories, which are plentiful and price friendly...

.22 ammo is super inexpensive and plinktastic at the range...(if you can find any...) Supplies are coming back around though...

IMHO these are 2 'must haves' as far as rifles go, either one you pick you'll be very happy with...

Let us know what follows you home!
People Like This 
Old 07-25-2013, 04:33 AM   #23

the Ruger American seems to be getting decent reviews from those who have bought them. some others to consider are the Marlin X7 series of rifles. decently priced, very accurate and well made with some nice features. the Savage Axis series of rifles. decently priced, good accuracy, well made and solid. the Mossberg ATR100 series. very accurate, well made and decently priced rifles.

nothing wrong with looking at used rifles at the gun stores and pawn shops. sometimes you can some pretty good deals on rifles that have been shot very little if you know what you're looking for and at.[/QUOTE]

Thanks bro and all these rifles are .308s? N can take down deers???

Old 07-25-2013, 04:38 AM   #24
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22306 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by vendetta31 View Post
the Ruger American seems to be getting decent reviews from those who have bought them. some others to consider are the Marlin X7 series of rifles. decently priced, very accurate and well made with some nice features. the Savage Axis series of rifles. decently priced, good accuracy, well made and solid. the Mossberg ATR100 series. very accurate, well made and decently priced rifles.

nothing wrong with looking at used rifles at the gun stores and pawn shops. sometimes you can some pretty good deals on rifles that have been shot very little if you know what you're looking for and at.

Thanks bro and all these rifles are .308s? N can take down deers???[/QUOTE]

yes, every one of them is offered in 308 and yes they can easily take deer and even some larger animals if the proper ammo and shot placement is used.

with the exception of the Ruger American, i have owned or shot all three brands of rifles i mentioned. i have shot or owned many of them in various calibers and can attest to the fact anyone of them would serve quite well as a hunting rifle.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:47 AM   #25

Liked 227 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by bildee View Post
oh, yeah, all those lw bolt actions are 1/4 MOA. :-) What planet do you live on, man? even if the rifle can do this, nobody can deliver better than 1 MOA hits, in the field. In fact, they can't do that well, except in the rare places where they can fire from prone, with bipod or some sort of rest.

1 MOA group sizes, guys, are not the same thing as hitting a 1 MOA-sized target. your 2" group at 200 yds is easily (often in fact) centered 4" or more (sometimes a LOT more) off target, due to wind, heat mirage, etc.
I am not exaggerating at all, I have shot many a group below the 1/4" range with my handloads, I have done that for years and am rather good at it. No I cannot shoot that well in the freezing cold, turned halfway around, hanging out of a tree stand with a major case of buck fever but it is awful fun shooting one hole groups at the range. Three of my rifles will shot legit one hole groups at 100 yards with at leased one handload but none of the others shoot so well so consistently as the Tikka.
I do have witnesses to my range reports, but if you prefer I frequent Styx River Shooting Center if you are ever down this way you are more then welcome to come and see for yourself.

Last edited by Apex-Predator; 07-25-2013 at 04:50 AM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-25-2013, 04:55 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex-Predator View Post
I am not exaggerating at all, I have shot many a group below the 1/4" range with my handloads, I have done that for years and am rather good at it. No I cannot shoot that well in the freezing cold, turned halfway around, hanging out of a tree stand with a major case of buck fever but it is awful fun shooting one hole groups at the range. Three of my rifles will shot legit one hole groups at 100 yards with at leased one handload but none of the others shoot so well so consistently as the Tikka.
and the rifles accuracy doesn't change just because of who pulled the trigger. if the rifle can consistently shoot sub-MOA groups, then it's irrelevent what groups the person got, based on his shooting skill, position, weather or any other factors. none of that changes the rifles accuracy.

i too own many sub-MOA rifles. the rifle is only part of the equation. the person pulling the trigger is another part of it. in fact, there are many factors that play into how accurate a rifle shoots. ammo, optics, weather, ect., ect.,,,,
People Like This 
Old 07-25-2013, 05:04 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3729 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55

and the rifles accuracy doesn't change just because of who pulled the trigger. if the rifle can consistently shoot sub-MOA groups, then it's irrelevent what groups the person got, based on his shooting skill, position, weather or any other factors. none of that changes the rifles accuracy.

i too own many sub-MOA rifles. the rifle is only part of the equation. the person pulling the trigger is another part of it. in fact, there are many factors that play into how accurate a rifle shoots. ammo, optics, weather, ect., ect.,,,,
All very valid points.

It certainly seems our new friend is trying to be a master of everything.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:10 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
All very valid points.

It certainly seems our new friend is trying to be a master of everything.
JW, i have not a clue as to what he's trying to be, other than acting immature and childish and making sarcastic remarks. but i will say this, his lack of knowledge about firearms speaks volumes IMO.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:13 AM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3729 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55

JW, i have not a clue as to what he's trying to be, other than acting immature and childish and making sarcastic remarks. but i will say this, his lack of knowledge about firearms speaks volumes IMO.
Couldn't agree more. Definitely getting a bad vibe from him.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:26 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
Couldn't agree more. Definitely getting a bad vibe from him.
read through some of his posts and you will get more than just a bad vibe.