Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > What rifle is best for me?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: Washington...the state, not the District of Columbia
Liked 26 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I think I've narrowed my choices to Ruger 10/22 Carbine, Marlin XT-22, and Remmington 597. I'm leaning more towards the Ruger. Prices and parts availability will determine my final decision.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:05 PM   #12

Liked 183 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Savage 111, Marlin X7 or Ruger American. All solid value rifles and 200 yards is a chip shot for a quality bolt action rifle. My Savage 30-06 shoots 1/2 MOA groups and has an effective range past 500 yards on deer sized game (longer with low drag bullets) not bad for $386.
If you are recoil shy try a 6.5mm, my Tikka 6.5x55 weighs only 6.25lbs shoots under 1/4 MOA and any healthy child can handle the recoil, kills deer just as dead as any of my larger calibers. For a non-reloader I would recommend the 6.5 Creedmore a modern ballistic twin to my Swede.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:38 PM   #13

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

oh, yeah, all those lw bolt actions are 1/4 MOA. :-) What planet do you live on, man? even if the rifle can do this, nobody can deliver better than 1 MOA hits, in the field. In fact, they can't do that well, except in the rare places where they can fire from prone, with bipod or some sort of rest.

1 MOA group sizes, guys, are not the same thing as hitting a 1 MOA-sized target. your 2" group at 200 yds is easily (often in fact) centered 4" or more (sometimes a LOT more) off target, due to wind, heat mirage, etc.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:32 PM   #14

Hey guys im new to rifles and in the market for 1... im looking into game shooting and deer hunting, im wondering whats a good rifle.. Im looking into a Ruger American.. what are your thoughts??

Old 07-24-2013, 10:48 PM   #15
Texas Ranger Fan!

Liked 16806 Times on 9743 Posts
Likes Given: 43863

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootnscoot View Post
Lately I've been seriously considering purchasing a firearm. I was recently honorably discharged from the U.S. Army. I'm not sure what kind to get. My weapons experience is limited. The only weapons I've fired are the M16A2, M249, MK19, M240B, M2 50 cal, and M109A6 with most experience on the M16A2. Obviously those are all out of the question for me to own now, and since I've never fired anything else, I could use some help choosing.
I intend to use my firearm exclusively at ranges.
I want something that has an effective range of 150-200 meters.
It should be heavy enough to absorb recoil, but light enough for various stable firing positions.
I prefer iron sights.
I do not want to spend more than $400.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

i too would have suggested some but as you seem to want iron sights, some of the lesser expensive bolt actions don't offer iron sights. a few days scouring the gun stores and pawn shops could yeald some nice results for rifles meeting your criteria. lots of good choices used. but i would also think in your price range a nice bolt action 22 would be a good place to start. with the exception of the M16 you fired, very little of what you have experiance with translates into the civilian market. so i would suggest either a used centerfire or a new bolt action 22 rimfire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vendetta31 View Post
Hey guys im new to rifles and in the market for 1... im looking into game shooting and deer hunting, im wondering whats a good rifle.. Im looking into a Ruger American.. what are your thoughts??
the Ruger American seems to be getting decent reviews from those who have bought them. some others to consider are the Marlin X7 series of rifles. decently priced, very accurate and well made with some nice features. the Savage Axis series of rifles. decently priced, good accuracy, well made and solid. the Mossberg ATR100 series. very accurate, well made and decently priced rifles.

nothing wrong with looking at used rifles at the gun stores and pawn shops. sometimes you can some pretty good deals on rifles that have been shot very little if you know what you're looking for and at.
People Like This 
Old 07-24-2013, 11:37 PM   #16

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

well, to a certain extent the choices are terrain-climate affected. If your area has really thick woods, (ie, short range shots only) and if, maybe, the muzzleloader season is quite long, offers some advantage (ie, maybe the time coincides with acorns ripening and you have an ideal site to use a tree stand while they feed on such) you might consider that. Will you do anything else with the rifle, besides hunt deer? no chance of it being involved in matches, varmint hunting, or in a self-defense or shtf role?

right now, ammo availability is a big issue, and reloading components are not to be had, it seems like. Various states have lower limits on bore size or power levels, for legally hunting deer, too. Also, some calibers, while techically legal (ie, 9mm carbine) would be a bad choice, almost everywhere and for everybody. Yes, I could brain deer with one, to 50 yds. The same is true of a .22lr, tho. That doesn't make it a sensible choice for deer hunting, especially not in open country and on the larger deer. Some areas, like parts of Ark and Tx, a typical shot might be at ranges of sub-20 yds, and a "big" deer is 80 lbs. :-) other places, corn fed individuals have topped 400 lbs, and you might be firing at 300 yds. Those are two very different kettles of fish

Last edited by bildee; 07-24-2013 at 11:42 PM.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:47 PM   #17

Liked 2166 Times on 1283 Posts
Likes Given: 1148

I just checked Cabela's website, they have Mossberg Tactical AR .22lr rifles listed for between $269.99 - $319.99 ( no guarantees that they are in stock). 200 yards may be a stretch for this platform & ammo is definitely a challenge(!!) but .223/5.56 ain't much easier to find and does not fit your price range.

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

Old 07-25-2013, 12:03 AM   #18

Liked 622 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 611

Quote:
Originally Posted by bildee View Post
oh, yeah, all those lw bolt actions are 1/4 MOA. :-) What planet do you live on, man? even if the rifle can do this, nobody can deliver better than 1 MOA hits, in the field. In fact, they can't do that well, except in the rare places where they can fire from prone, with bipod or some sort of rest.

1 MOA group sizes, guys, are not the same thing as hitting a 1 MOA-sized target. your 2" group at 200 yds is easily (often in fact) centered 4" or more (sometimes a LOT more) off target, due to wind, heat mirage, etc.
I take it you have never shot competition. I agree a 1mao group size that is not in the X ring is useless, but Apex does mention Deer sized game. That changes things as the kill zone is about 9". If you are proficient and can shoot 1.5" groups offhand at 100 your fine to 300. Would you like to go shooting? Shooting is as much about instinct, skill then equipment. If you have ever shot NRA small bore 50ft it is a 3 position shoot, unsupported. I use to shoot outdoors and it was all sand, wind could come off the ocean and unless your instinct/skill was vg it was a bad day as the 10/bull was the size of the bullet, all open sights. Your analogy of 4" off comes to shooter skill at reading environment. So I'll offer again, Do you want to go shooting? Everyones skill leval is different. If I had to choose between a bolt and semi, it is a bolt. BTW, I've sold all my semis.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-25-2013, 12:13 AM   #19

Liked 622 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 611

Quote:
Originally Posted by bildee View Post
well, to a certain extent the choices are terrain-climate affected. If your area has really thick woods, (ie, short range shots only) and if, maybe, the muzzleloader season is quite long, offers some advantage (ie, maybe the time coincides with acorns ripening and you have an ideal site to use a tree stand while they feed on such) you might consider that. Will you do anything else with the rifle, besides hunt deer? no chance of it being involved in matches, varmint hunting, or in a self-defense or shtf role?

right now, ammo availability is a big issue, and reloading components are not to be had, it seems like. Various states have lower limits on bore size or power levels, for legally hunting deer, too. Also, some calibers, while techically legal (ie, 9mm carbine) would be a bad choice, almost everywhere and for everybody. Yes, I could brain deer with one, to 50 yds. The same is true of a .22lr, tho. That doesn't make it a sensible choice for deer hunting, especially not in open country and on the larger deer. Some areas, like parts of Ark and Tx, a typical shot might be at ranges of sub-20 yds, and a "big" deer is 80 lbs. :-) other places, corn fed individuals have topped 400 lbs, and you might be firing at 300 yds. Those are two very different kettles of fish

Not sure who you are responding too. If you have a muzzleloader, you can also use it during regular rifle season in every state I know of. If you are shooting 400 pound Whitetail, that was a cow. The horns and color should give it away. Goliath was the largest recorded Whitetail buck, He was farm raised in Pa. At 2.5 years he was 375lb. Me thinks your kettle smells funny.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-25-2013, 02:52 AM   #20

For less than $400 id say find a nice Sks. But a lot of people say that their tapco'd Sks is worth more than original that not necessarily true. Sks's are worth more original or with original parts and numbers matching. That inclides mag and stock. They are cheal to buy, cheap to shoot, and good for a maximum of 250-300 yards. And very reliable in original form. Recoil buffers, hicap mags, etc will only ruin an Sks rather than improve one. They are semi automatic and shoot the same round as an ak (7.62x39). Also there mosin nagant rifles. Type 53 carbines are the way to go. Cheap as a 91/30 but 10 inches shorter. Good investment. Also cheap to shoot and pretty accuarte if bore is in good condition. Certain ARs are cheap right now like the stags I THINK they are like $850 for a standard stock model 3 with 16inch barrel.

"Is that you John Wayne? Is this me?"

"You can go a long way with a smile, but you can go a lot further with a smile, and a gun."