Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > What rifle is best for me?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 05:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: Washington...the state, not the District of Columbia
Liked 26 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default What rifle is best for me?

Lately I've been seriously considering purchasing a firearm. I was recently honorably discharged from the U.S. Army. I'm not sure what kind to get. My weapons experience is limited. The only weapons I've fired are the M16A2, M249, MK19, M240B, M2 50 cal, and M109A6 with most experience on the M16A2. Obviously those are all out of the question for me to own now, and since I've never fired anything else, I could use some help choosing.
I intend to use my firearm exclusively at ranges.
I want something that has an effective range of 150-200 meters.
It should be heavy enough to absorb recoil, but light enough for various stable firing positions.
I prefer iron sights.
I do not want to spend more than $400.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #2

Liked 258 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 362

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootnscoot View Post
Lately I've been seriously considering purchasing a firearm. I was recently honorably discharged from the U.S. Army. I'm not sure what kind to get. My weapons experience is limited. The only weapons I've fired are the M16A2, M249, MK19, M240B, M2 50 cal, and M109A6 with most experience on the M16A2. Obviously those are all out of the question for me to own now, and since I've never fired anything else, I could use some help choosing.
It should be heavy enough to absorb recoil, but light enough for various stable firing positions.
I prefer iron sights.

I ain't got much time on her yet. But Ill tell ya I just picked up my first lever gun in .30 30 and lotta people say it aint any good past 100 yards but youtube will prove those folks wrong. And with the new hornady flex tip the velocity and energy has picked way up from a traditional .30 30 . Round are a bit expensive though. But I put a couple rounds through her and rackin that lever and hearin that crack of the round.... man put a smile on your face ear to ear. they makem in .357 44 mag .30 30 maybe a couple more I dont know about.

If you just want a more traditional plinker you can find bolt action .223 if you wanna stick with a similar round from what your used to and more affordable ammo. .270 is also a decent plinker.

Hope this helps.

" Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. " - Benjamin Franklin

Old 07-24-2013, 10:48 AM   #3

Liked 349 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Just out of the Army? Get an AR. Go with what you know.
People Like This 
Old 07-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #4

Liked 64 Times on 40 Posts

Ok I started typing one reply without fully reading the OP's full message, but decided to do so before replying. Now I'm having to revamp lol. I was going to say go with either an AR or a Remington 700 because they're both great rifles for what you're wanting to use them for and the 700's are offered in many different calibers and there's endless upgrade options out there. However I then read your price range and optics options, and although I was going to sway against a 30-30, your optics request pretty much narrows it down to an AR and a lever gun, and your price range pretty much rules out any AR's. So it sounds to me as though a Marlin 30-30 might be your best option. That is unless you can find someone practically giving an AR away.

Last edited by ClemsonSCJ; 07-24-2013 at 11:01 AM.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:58 PM   #5

Liked 211 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 15

The 400 dollar limit AND open sights will put you in a used rifle market. Raise that 400 to a mid 400 dollar range LGS priceing and the savage hog hunter is an option- savage arms model 11/111 hoghunter in 223 or 308.

Mossberg has a MVP Patrol model in the line but price is a bit higher yet, high 400 dollars LGS prices .

Both have open sights . Both in 223 will be easy on the pocket and shoulder.

Last would be a savage arms 17hmr but don't thinkany are avalible with open sights any more but taotaly capable of sub- moa 100 yard groups and cheaper to shot. and 200 yards is practical on low wind days.
http://www.gunblast.com/Savage-93R17.htm

Shop for best prices, These would be priced at your local general store.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:08 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3721 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootnscoot
I prefer iron sights.

Psh, the sky's the limit brother. Not really, but for plinking why not a 22? There are some excellent ones out there. My personal experience to 22s is limited to the Ruger 10-22 which you should be able to find for half your budget. It's a great reliable gun that chews up and spits out all ammo I put in it. The only downside to a 22 is that you're not necessarily going to punch out real accurately to 200 meters.

I like the lever gun idea. I just bought a Winchester 30-30 for $400. I haven't been able to find any ammo for it but I've shot one in the past. It doesn't get much more fun than a good lever gun. And I personally love the classic Americana beauty of them.

I also like the AR idea but the cheapest new one I've found near me is $700. So you'd be limited to a used one. Or you could build it yourself and buy the parts over time. That won't feel as bad to the wallet as buying a new gun.

I suggest going to some local gun stores and taking a look at some used rifles and just picking one that seems to be in good condition and fits you well, and then before buying it come on here and ask about that particular model/caliber.

But really my number one pick for your needs is a good lever gun.

Just my .02.

Always have clean socks.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:09 PM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

your price range is not realistic in today;'s market. Just budget another $200 and keep your eye open for a private sale of an AR. You'll be glad you did. I'd take out a loan or sell something else, rather than settle for a lesser rifle. After a while, get a $200 Ciener .22lr conversion unit for it, so you can save 20c a shot, quietly take small game, fire on indoor ranges (hi-v rifles are not welcome at many of them ). the caliber swap takes a mere 20 seconds, and it will group 2" or better at 50 yds, plenty good enough accuracy. About 50% of the .22lr units need a few minutes of gunmithing to make them reliable, tho.

It's very handy, if you hunt at all, to have both a little rimfire and something that will reach 1/4 mile, in a lw, compact package. The 22 unit weighs less than one pound, can be carried in the thigh pocket of BDUS', or in a fanny pack, etc. It's also nice to have a .22 for teaching novice shooters. With the AR and 22 unit, any aftermarket stocks, scopes, trigger jobs, etc, that you add to your 223, you also have added to your .22l. That sort of stuff adds up to big dollars in a hurry, if you buy two of everything.

Last edited by bildee; 07-24-2013 at 03:14 PM.
bluez Likes This 
Old 07-24-2013, 03:45 PM   #8

Liked 1975 Times on 1173 Posts
Likes Given: 423

First choice- I'd recommend saving up money a little longer and getting an AR.

Second choice- If that is not a possibility, then save up and look for a used SKS.

Third would be a good lever or bolt gun.

A good .22 or .22 mag will still get you plinking and target shooting ability out to 100 yds, and yo ucould stretch to 200 for a real challenge.

When you say effective range, I'm assuming ability to group well, because you don't need a ton of energy on paper and plinking targets.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:00 PM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Sniper 101 on YouTube.... There is a lot of great information to figure that out!

Old 07-24-2013, 06:10 PM   #10

A bolt action in .243 would be just about ideal. Check out the Marlin X7 series. About the best going right now for the price.
ct

Axxe55 Likes This