Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > What is the pressure valve on a case?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What is the pressure valve on a case?

I recently bought a foam gun case. It has a pressure valve that you open and close with a flat head screw driver. What is the purpose of this?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-03-2011, 04:46 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If I am not mistaken it is used to equalize the air pressure in the case to stop moisture from forming. Mainly needed when flying or changing extreme elevation.

Please someone correct me if i am wrong.

Stag1

Endowment Lifetime NRA Member, Certified CCW/Pistol instructor.

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them". – Richard Henry Lee 1788

Old 04-03-2011, 04:51 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Not sure but did you look in the owners manual or the co website... not trying to be a smart a** just what I would prob do

Old 04-03-2011, 05:08 PM   #4

This is as much as I could find:

"Pressure valve quickly adjusts internal pressure in case of sudden changes in height or temperature"

Old 04-03-2011, 05:22 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5122 Times on 2667 Posts
Likes Given: 310

its a pressure relief valve. cases that are air tight have them. its there to allow the user to relieve pressure slowly so the inside equalizes with outside air pressure. just opening the case can damage the lenses in optical devices such as cameras and scopes.

want to see it in effect take a empty pop bottle to the bottom of a swimming pool. or if they let ya an empty one on a plane open it at altitude close it then look at it when you land.

the relie valve should have a small stem in the middle to allow manual operation of the valve by simply pressing it.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-03-2011, 09:51 PM   #6

Thanks John M. Finally someone who knows what they are talking about. Do you know how to use it? Like, when I lock my gun up, do I close the valve to keep it air tight, and them before I open it up do I release the valve?

Sorry, this case did not have instructions for this.

Ryan

Old 04-03-2011, 10:41 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8319 Times on 3597 Posts
Likes Given: 1280

In general, I do not like STORING guns in ANY case for extended periods. However, when putting gun into case, have valve open, close case, close valve, and open again before opening case. If shipping by air, leave valve open during shipment.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:03 AM   #8

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I have several cases with pressure relief valves on them. The cases can be virtually impossible to open once suction has taken hold. But all of my cases are push button valves. None have a set screw.

I've never known optics to be affected by pressure changes. They are all purged with inert gasses.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 04-04-2011, 02:29 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5122 Times on 2667 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikotromus11 View Post
Thanks John M. Finally someone who knows what they are talking about. Do you know how to use it? Like, when I lock my gun up, do I close the valve to keep it air tight, and them before I open it up do I release the valve?

Sorry, this case did not have instructions for this.

Ryan
a brand and model plus pic would help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
In general, I do not like STORING guns in ANY case for extended periods. However, when putting gun into case, have valve open, close case, close valve, and open again before opening case. If shipping by air, leave valve open during shipment.
i agree definately no go on long term storage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
I have several cases with pressure relief valves on them. The cases can be virtually impossible to open once suction has taken hold. But all of my cases are push button valves. None have a set screw.

I've never known optics to be affected by pressure changes. They are all purged with inert gasses.
usually it doesnt. but it is possible. a sergeant in our unit opened the anpvs4 scope case for my m60 in flight without purging and it damaged the scope enough so it wouldnt turn on. nothing like shattered but it did break the electronics.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...