what is this please - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > what is this please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 06:24 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBofAZ View Post
Absolutely no markings from barrel bands that I can tell at least i looked for that when i got it too and the barrel is exposed
Something looks out of place...that model should have an upper hand guard and a swing out bayonet similar to the SKS. Looks like someone demilled it by removing the bayonet housing and the upper guard.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 11-24-2012, 06:27 AM   #12

Quote:
I guess what im trying to ask is was it worth the 40 bucks for the rifle and the scope
Hard to tell what condition its in...but a working rifle with all the parts and matching numbers it's worth about 10 or more times what you paid for it. All rusted up with mismatched parts it's worth about what you paid for it.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 11-24-2012, 06:50 AM   #13

Liked 15 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle

Hard to tell what condition its in...but a working rifle with all the parts and matching numbers it's worth about 10 or more times what you paid for it. All rusted up with mismatched parts it's worth about what you paid for it.
So the scope is the only thing I'll make money on probably

Old 11-24-2012, 07:02 AM   #14

Quote:
So the scope is the only thing I'll make money on probably
From the looks of it, unless it's a rare collectors piece, not really but don't take my word on it...others here are much more knowledgeable on WWII military rifles and collectibles. The addition of the scope, the removal of the bayonet and the addition of the sling mount under the hand guard look like someone sporterized the rifle or bubba-ized it as the case may be. That pretty much killed all the collector value. On the bright side, the receiver and barrel may be of worth to someone looking to piece together a rifle

Send a PM to C3shooter he'll give you a better evaluation than I can...some more detailed pics of any markings would help as well.

Last edited by Jpyle; 11-24-2012 at 07:06 AM.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:09 AM   #15

Liked 15 Times on 8 Posts

Alright it was worth the 40 to have this much fun looking into it and ive read nothing but good things about selling this type of scope and a buddy just looked at it said only surface rust very little pitting which is good for me the lenses are great and the cross hairs are still nice and tight

Old 11-24-2012, 12:28 PM   #16

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I have the same markings on my Arisaka (Japanese), 6.5 cal., cav. carbine, Type 44.
P.O. Ackley did some testing on these actions and found them to be one of the strongest war time actions.
The bore should be chrome plated with very shallow appearing rifling (that's how they were made).
If you're looking to make money on this purchase I'd say it depends on how it shoots as it appears it has no collector value.
Is the bolt handle altered (bent down and not straight)?
If it shoots straight it's easily worth $100 to a person who wants a 6.5.
During the Burma campaign is was favored as a capture weapon to G.I.'s when the ran out of ammo. Can't remember if Gen. Merrill had a couple of these. They stripped them down (took the bayonet off and possibly the hand guard and definitely the rattling dust cover).
The safety takes a bit of getting used to. When you close the bolt, push on the rear of the bolt with your palm, and rotate it clockwise. To take the safety off, just reverse the procedure.
I always wanted to sporterize one of these until I found out what they were worth in their original condition and my eyesight went bad.

Last edited by crazycharlie2; 11-24-2012 at 12:40 PM.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:37 PM   #17

Liked 1798 Times on 1003 Posts
Likes Given: 1177

If I found any rifle that could be cleaned up and taken to the range, I would feel it was worth more than $40. It is still a rifle. Not just a wall hanger right?

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:39 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2691 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

It is a "sporterized" Arisaka. The front of the stock has been cut back and the top handguard removed. The scope was added here in the USA. Caliber? Take it to a gunsmith. It could have been rechambered/rebarreled.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 11-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #19

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

It was very common to rechamber these to take a .257 Roberts case. Check out the chamber before shooting it. There is no collectors value in a rifle of this type. The value as a shooter is really very low. It is hardly worth the cost of a box of 6.5 Jap ammo.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:13 PM   #20

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

With cleaning that, any shooter, has to be worth at LEAST $40. How can you go wrong for $40 unles it truly is all rusted together!?