Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > What to look for on Mosin-Nagant?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2012, 03:04 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 344 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm a little curious here. Other then a cool crown, rifling and matching numbers, what's some marks to look for when trying to decide on how much to pay for one?

Reason I made a new thread is because I'm going to an auction tomorrow and there's one up for grabs. Right now I'm thinking 100-150 should grab it. But we can look the firearms over for I think an hour before the bidding actually starts. I don really want to spend more then the rifle is with since I've also got my eye on some o the rimfires.

Any thoughts would be a great help haha also know I'm a little late on askin this, but figure it'll help other out when they go looking.

EDIT well......I've come to realize this is in the wrong spot. Any chance a mod could swap it over for me?

Last edited by kaido; 03-17-2012 at 03:35 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-17-2012, 03:38 AM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post
I'm a little curious here. Other then a cool crown, rifling and matching numbers, what's some marks to look for when trying to decide on how much to pay for one?

Reason I made a new thread is because I'm going to an auction tomorrow and there's one up for grabs. Right now I'm thinking 100-150 should grab it. But we can look the firearms over for I think an hour before the bidding actually starts. I don really want to spend more then the rifle is with since I've also got my eye on some o the rimfires.

Any thoughts would be a great help haha also know I'm a little late on askin this, but figure it'll help other out when they go looking.
Here's a link to a site with lots of good info on Mosins as well as a library of receiver, barrel and stock markings. http://7.62x54r.net/

Unless the rifle is a rare model, a historic item or a battlefield capture there is not much intrinsic value since so many were produced. Hex receivers generally sell for more than round receivers, Tula armory (arrow in start) rifles are generally more desirable that Izhevsk (arrow in triangle). Finnish rifles are also considered to be of better quality and also sell for a bit more than the run-of-the-mill Russian version. Not many people realize that prior to the Russian Revolution, Finland was under the control of the Tsar (Czar). After declaring it's independence from Russia Finland modernized it's own version of the Mosin 91/30. The Finnish Mosin is an artifact of that history.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 03-17-2012, 03:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle

Here's a link to a site with lots of good info on Mosins as well as a library of receiver, barrel and stock markings. http://7.62x54r.net/

Unless the rifle is a rare model, a historic item or a battlefield capture there is not much intrinsic value since so many were produced. Hex receivers generally sell for more than round receivers, Tula armory (arrow in start) rifles are generally more desirable that Izhevsk (arrow in triangle). Finnish rifles are also considered to be of better quality and also sell for a bit more than the run-of-the-mill Russian version. Not many people realize that prior to the Russian Revolution, Finland was under the control of the Tsar (Czar). After declaring it's independence from Russia Finland modernized it's own version of the Mosin 91/30. The Finnish Mosin is an artifact of that history.
Thanks for the link. Not to sure why I never bothered to go there since I've seen it suggested a few times.

I never knew that there was so many different marks for a single rifle. It's crazy. Hana

Old 03-17-2012, 04:28 AM   #4

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

For a gun that's been around For so long and that has performed as well as they have every country pretty much took one and marked it as theres with few changes

I RUN LIKE A CHEVY AND IM BUILT FORD TOUGH

Old 03-17-2012, 05:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy573
For a gun that's been around For so long and that has performed as well as they have every country pretty much took one and marked it as theres with few changes

I RUN LIKE A CHEVY AND IM BUILT FORD TOUGH
Haha kinda like everything that's come out now days.
By I guess if something is as awesome in both sheer power as it is in looks, everyone wants to cash in on it. Haha

Old 03-17-2012, 02:02 PM   #6
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

I look for mid 40's hex receiver with military markings and scope mount holes. I want a battle proven sniper.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #7

They stopped making hex receivers in 1936. Look for PU or. C n stamped on the reliever. Those are the sniper markings. It does not prove that it was used in battle just that the barrels have been harmonically tested.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:03 PM   #8
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

You are correct. I might have a hard time finding what I'm looking for. Lol.

I don't need No stinking signature.