Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   What to look for on Mosin-Nagant? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/what-look-mosin-nagant-60413/)

kaido 03-17-2012 03:04 AM

I'm a little curious here. Other then a cool crown, rifling and matching numbers, what's some marks to look for when trying to decide on how much to pay for one?

Reason I made a new thread is because I'm going to an auction tomorrow and there's one up for grabs. Right now I'm thinking 100-150 should grab it. But we can look the firearms over for I think an hour before the bidding actually starts. I don really want to spend more then the rifle is with since I've also got my eye on some o the rimfires.

Any thoughts would be a great help haha also know I'm a little late on askin this, but figure it'll help other out when they go looking.




EDIT well......I've come to realize this is in the wrong spot. Any chance a mod could swap it over for me?

Jpyle 03-17-2012 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaido (Post 742827)
I'm a little curious here. Other then a cool crown, rifling and matching numbers, what's some marks to look for when trying to decide on how much to pay for one?

Reason I made a new thread is because I'm going to an auction tomorrow and there's one up for grabs. Right now I'm thinking 100-150 should grab it. But we can look the firearms over for I think an hour before the bidding actually starts. I don really want to spend more then the rifle is with since I've also got my eye on some o the rimfires.

Any thoughts would be a great help haha also know I'm a little late on askin this, but figure it'll help other out when they go looking.

Here's a link to a site with lots of good info on Mosins as well as a library of receiver, barrel and stock markings. http://7.62x54r.net/

Unless the rifle is a rare model, a historic item or a battlefield capture there is not much intrinsic value since so many were produced. Hex receivers generally sell for more than round receivers, Tula armory (arrow in start) rifles are generally more desirable that Izhevsk (arrow in triangle). Finnish rifles are also considered to be of better quality and also sell for a bit more than the run-of-the-mill Russian version. Not many people realize that prior to the Russian Revolution, Finland was under the control of the Tsar (Czar). After declaring it's independence from Russia Finland modernized it's own version of the Mosin 91/30. The Finnish Mosin is an artifact of that history.

kaido 03-17-2012 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpyle

Here's a link to a site with lots of good info on Mosins as well as a library of receiver, barrel and stock markings. http://7.62x54r.net/

Unless the rifle is a rare model, a historic item or a battlefield capture there is not much intrinsic value since so many were produced. Hex receivers generally sell for more than round receivers, Tula armory (arrow in start) rifles are generally more desirable that Izhevsk (arrow in triangle). Finnish rifles are also considered to be of better quality and also sell for a bit more than the run-of-the-mill Russian version. Not many people realize that prior to the Russian Revolution, Finland was under the control of the Tsar (Czar). After declaring it's independence from Russia Finland modernized it's own version of the Mosin 91/30. The Finnish Mosin is an artifact of that history.

Thanks for the link. Not to sure why I never bothered to go there since I've seen it suggested a few times.

I never knew that there was so many different marks for a single rifle. It's crazy. Hana

bigdaddy573 03-17-2012 04:28 AM

For a gun that's been around For so long and that has performed as well as they have every country pretty much took one and marked it as theres with few changes

I RUN LIKE A CHEVY AND IM BUILT FORD TOUGH ;)

kaido 03-17-2012 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddy573
For a gun that's been around For so long and that has performed as well as they have every country pretty much took one and marked it as theres with few changes

I RUN LIKE A CHEVY AND IM BUILT FORD TOUGH ;)

Haha kinda like everything that's come out now days.
By I guess if something is as awesome in both sheer power as it is in looks, everyone wants to cash in on it. Haha

mountainman13 03-17-2012 02:02 PM

I look for mid 40's hex receiver with military markings and scope mount holes. I want a battle proven sniper.

JimGamblain2 03-17-2012 03:53 PM

They stopped making hex receivers in 1936. Look for PU or. C n stamped on the reliever. Those are the sniper markings. It does not prove that it was used in battle just that the barrels have been harmonically tested.

mountainman13 03-17-2012 04:03 PM

You are correct. I might have a hard time finding what I'm looking for. Lol.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:29 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.