What is long range? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > What is long range?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2014, 12:27 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2049 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Q - What's long range?

A - What's the wind doin'?

Old 02-17-2014, 01:06 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 475 Times on 346 Posts
Likes Given: 156

To me ,, long range as stated above is very relative to the caliber, situation,, range or hunting, etc., and experience of the shooter. Shooting at known distances on a range from a bench is not that bad of a proposition,, in the field without a laser range finder, can be very difficult,, most people,, including myself, are not very good at judging ranges. I sight my Mauser 7mm Remington magnum at 3" high at 100 yards, that brings the load I use just about dead on at 200 and around 3 to 4" low at 300. For most hunting situations that I am involved, that works pretty well. I know the rifle is capable of further shooting, but I myself will hold off because I have no ranges in my area much farther than 200 yards. If one practices diligently at longer ranges, I can understand their limits are much further than mine. A friend of mine when I was in the Marines, a retread in the Air Wing, was a sniper in Viet Nam,,, and we talked about shooting in general many times, both of us enjoying hunting, etc. and he stated that his spotter when he was in country, was as vital as himself pulling the trigger when they were in the bush. Range is very fickle, weather condition and many other factors weigh in, I just like shooting at cans at 15 to 25 yards with my .22's, my eyes are getting old.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:06 PM   #33

Liked 57 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 44

To me there is no set rule of long range. Long range for hunting is 1 yard past the distance that I am 99.9% sure I can hit within the Kill zone. For paper I strive for 1 MOA and the percentage can go as low as 30%. This also depends on the firearm. With my Mosin the range is one third of what it is with my with my .06 or 308. or 3 MOA.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:58 PM   #34

Liked 314 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 27

"What is long range?"

Long range is when you are lobbing it in like artillery to the target.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:16 PM   #35
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3288 Times on 2236 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Default What is long range?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
for the nypd its about 6 inches...

Jon: I know your jk right? My uncle was one of the best shots ever to work in the dept. And if he were still with us, He would show you A lot more then 6".... I Know a lot of former and current NYPD who are the rule and not the exception like the knuckleheads you see on videos......just saying...

AFA long range....I think ( with a rifle) beyond 500 yards is long range. A long barreled Handgun could reach 100yds from a rest or brace(8-12" barrel)

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 02-17-2014 at 07:18 PM.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:38 PM   #36

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have to agree with Ax in a couple of his comments.

The term Long range is a very loose term. I believe it is classified by the shooters experience with the firearm in which he is using at the time. Each persons long range shooting will be different than anyone else's. But giving this definition, you can apply 200 yards with a remington model 700 in .308. If your shooting it from a moving UH-60. Even 75 yards is difficult task with a Barrett from a UH-60 traveling at 65mph even with an eotech halographic reflexive sight. Are these classified as long range? Well they are simply by the definition of experience of the shooter.

If you apply the opinion that long range shooting is beyond the 100% ability of the shooter and giving the increased chance of a miss, then the term Long Range shooting should not be used in the vocabulary of the hunter. If you could miss the shot due to inexperience at that range, then you should not be taking the shot. Therefore the term long range should only be applicable to target shooters. But that's just my opinion giving my personal ethics for hunting.

I just wanted to add these two points back to the discussion to keep it moving forward and get you guys thinking again. I was really enjoying reading your guys thoughts.

"In war the only sure defense is offense, and the efficiency of the offense depends on the warlike souls of those conducting it."

You haven't lived until you've walked 10 miles with 80lbs on your back, at night, just to dig a hole and live in it with 5 other guys, for 5 days, with no support. LRSD

Last edited by SGTRud; 02-18-2014 at 03:47 PM.
People Like This 
Old 02-18-2014, 05:32 PM   #37
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3288 Times on 2236 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Default What is long range?

And you have some good Points yourself SGTR--... Have you ever been present when someone made "That Shot" from a moving UH60? I was"Driving" on a few of those "Training mission" runs. I can tell you that the Shooters( mostly 2nd. Batt. Rangers, or 3Rd. Batt., 5th Spec. Forces) can make those shots. All I know was I had to keep those "Controls Steady" or else I'd be owing a lotta beers to a lotta Guys.......
As for myself, I have a hard time (these days) hitting the X out past 100 Yds. Without a scope,..but, after Re-Applying what I learned at Appleseed in the past,..and getting a few good Slings, I've been improving at 100 and under with Iron sights and my Mossberg 702....

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 02-18-2014 at 05:35 PM.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:18 AM   #38
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21723 Times on 12313 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTRud View Post
I have to agree with Ax in a couple of his comments.

The term Long range is a very loose term. I believe it is classified by the shooters experience with the firearm in which he is using at the time. Each persons long range shooting will be different than anyone else's. But giving this definition, you can apply 200 yards with a remington model 700 in .308. If your shooting it from a moving UH-60. Even 75 yards is difficult task with a Barrett from a UH-60 traveling at 65mph even with an eotech halographic reflexive sight. Are these classified as long range? Well they are simply by the definition of experience of the shooter.

If you apply the opinion that long range shooting is beyond the 100% ability of the shooter and giving the increased chance of a miss, then the term Long Range shooting should not be used in the vocabulary of the hunter. If you could miss the shot due to inexperience at that range, then you should not be taking the shot. Therefore the term long range should only be applicable to target shooters. But that's just my opinion giving my personal ethics for hunting.

I just wanted to add these two points back to the discussion to keep it moving forward and get you guys thinking again. I was really enjoying reading your guys thoughts.
very much so. long range can be determined by the firearm being used as well. at 100 yards and beyond would be my idea of long range for my 22 rimfires, but not for my 17 HMR bolt action. most of my pistols are usually shot at about 10-15 yards, so stepping up to 25-50 yards with my pistols would be long range to me.

and keeping things realistic, hunting and target shooting are two totally different types of shooting. and ethical hunter is only going to take the shot he knows he can make. an ethical hunter will either let a shot pass or wait until the animal gets closer, or get himself into a better range to make the shot. and just because the rifle or the cartridge is capable of going long range on an animal doesn't mean the person pulling the trigger is capable in doing so.