What is long range? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > What is long range?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2014, 10:53 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 758

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
When you gotta explain the joke it loses a lot...

I was referring to the recent incidents of the nypd firing dozens and dozens of shots in several incidents never hitting the goblin...
These guys never pulled their revolvers. None except one uncle was a good shot. In most cases the NYPD lets bad guys run away and call in major assets to get them after the fact. It has been this way since the 1960's.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:26 AM   #12

Liked 1789 Times on 924 Posts
Likes Given: 1356

One of my clients was on the Internal Affairs 'Squad', that watched the Internal Affairs Division to make sure they were straight. He was also a top shot, pistol, rifle, sling shot, whatever. Won NYPD awards and stuff. Every year he was posted on the roof tops for one or the other of the holiday events; Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, Times Square New Years, 4th of July Fireworks, etc. Talk about high angle! The snipers were rotated so they got to spend some of the holidays with their families.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:01 PM   #13
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6344 Times on 3172 Posts
Likes Given: 6836

What is long range? Boy aint that the question of the day! We havent really had a major improvement in Firearm Technology since the invent of the AR or AK. Not to say they havent been improved, they have, better, lighter, more accurate and practical but still the same basic gun. Even bullets and casings have been highly optimized to the point that if they were any better, they would just be banned. The next revolution is under way, Electronics and Sensors, weve had threads on some first generation stuff but with processing power doubling, size shrinking with power requirements dropping as well, were on the verge of some real reach out and touch someone technology hitting the markets.

I dont know how the government is going to react to this cause thats one of the big fears, looooong distance accuracy and the single shooter. Thats the hardest scenario to predict and with the right toys, a 50 cal can fly further than any circle of protection can provide. The day of the POTUS in a bubble has arrived.

Its exciting to be alive to see these things happen even if i still love my old firesticks to death!

Last edited by WebleyFosbery38; 02-14-2014 at 12:05 PM.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:12 PM   #14

Liked 2551 Times on 1455 Posts
Likes Given: 1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallejo View Post
The title gives it away.
YEP. THAT's what a "title" is supposed to do...

Old 02-14-2014, 12:29 PM   #15

Liked 2049 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 392

I'd define long range as farther than I can shoot with iron sights....

.......a number that seems to get smaller every year

Old 02-14-2014, 12:46 PM   #16
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2604 Times on 1272 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

Vallejo,

I agree with Woodworker, JonM and especially what Webley stated. Long distance means a lot of different things to different people and also regarding specific weapons.
If you are speaking about high power rifles in general, for the high power shooter it usually applies to targets in excess of 500 yards or more and as stated depending on the caliber also. 500 yards for a 50 BMG, Barrett 416, or 338 Lapua for example is like shooting a 22 at 25 yards. While if using a 7.62X51, 308cal. 500 could be considered as the beginning long range. With 1000 yards being about the ultimate consistency for the 7.62X51 / 308cal. round. But 1000 yards for the 50 BMG and similar calibers is long range but not a great feat! For example in the sniper schools we have fired the 50 BMG fired on E-Silhouette targets consistently and successfully at 2200 meters. 1 Meter = 1.09 Yards. 2200 Meters = 2398 Yards. That is truly considered long range even for the 50 BMG and similar rounds. So to the point 200-300 yards could be considered long range for the average varmint hunter shooting a 17 Remington or 204 for instance. As stated by all the above friends here on the FTF. Long range is an open topic and very subjective. But what ever one enjoys, long range is rewarding to your skill and personal accomplishment and understanding. Elevation, Temperature, Light and certainly Wind Reading skill developlment. Word to the wise! If you do not want to get "Bit by the Bug and Hooked! DO NOT DO IT! The main issue is finding a place to do it!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

jpattersonnh Likes This 
Old 02-14-2014, 12:48 PM   #17

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I shot a lot of firearms at what some would call long range. Personally, my idea of long range isnt what the firearm or bullet is doing, its the push beyond a shooters personal limits.

When I shoot my .338 Lapua, 900-1000 yards isn't long range to me as I do it enough that I can slap it up squeeze the trigger and the bullet lands where I want it to without needing much effort. To some its long range, to me its a Wednesday. But pushing it further out to 1400+ yards is more than a Wednesday for me, I need a little more effort into it.

I think it is also going to depend on your equipment. If you running a BORS system on a sweet nightforce optic for a 416 Barrett, well then you've taken the skill out of it, your not shooting long range any longer, your pulling the trigger after pushing a button.

Though I do think the thought of long range does have to do with the firearm, the ammunition, and some other factors, but I think the biggest impact as to what long range is depends on the shooters ability. If you can re-build a 308 Mauser and zip it into a 9 inch dinner plate at 900 yards using a scope purchased at Wal-mart and no other equipment, then you've broken into the realm of personal capability.

"In war the only sure defense is offense, and the efficiency of the offense depends on the warlike souls of those conducting it."

You haven't lived until you've walked 10 miles with 80lbs on your back, at night, just to dig a hole and live in it with 5 other guys, for 5 days, with no support. LRSD

GTX63 Likes This 
Old 02-14-2014, 01:04 PM   #18

Liked 1789 Times on 924 Posts
Likes Given: 1356

How often, can most, is it really possible, (etc.) for a l o n g range shooter to hit a 9 inch target with the very first shot? That is, without seeing what their correction(s) should be?

Last edited by Vincine; 02-14-2014 at 01:21 PM.
People Like This 
Old 02-14-2014, 01:20 PM   #19

Liked 2551 Times on 1455 Posts
Likes Given: 1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
How often, can most, is it really possible, (etc.) for a l o n g range shooter to hit an 9 inch target with the very first shot? That is, without seeing what their correction(s) should be?
Long range is fine, if there is a use for it, to the average shooter.

Generally speaking, I have no use for a shot past 300 yards, in my

hunting situations. So I concentrate on improving my accuracy at

100,200, and 300 yards, and making the "ethical shot" which is going

to take prey down quickly and humanely. IMHO, MOA within my usage

range is more worthy of my reloading time and effort.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:32 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1267 Times on 861 Posts
Likes Given: 1308

For me it is any thing over 200 yards !...............

When all else fails.