Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > What are lever actions used for?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2007, 04:09 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobby View Post
I've shot a few lever actions but only for fun.

Are they commonly used for hunting or mainly just for target shooting?
My Winchester 94 30-30 carbine has been hunted probably 10 times as much as my scoped Remington 30-06. Not because it is a "better" gun, but because it is just too darned fun! Ya gotta do a little John Wayne strut when you carry the lever as well

Who are the militia? They consist of the whole people, except for a few public officials.
-George Mason, Framer of the Declaration of Rights, Virginia, 1776 , which became the basis of the U.S. Bill of Rights

Old 05-10-2007, 09:01 PM   #12

I love my Henry "Golden Boy" for shooting squeeks.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
I love my Henry "Golden Boy" for shooting squeeks.
I've been thinking about getting a Henry for my boy. He is only 5 right now, so I might wait another year or 2, but he does love to shoot the pellet and bb guns!

I have so many fond memories of going out "just shootin" the .22 with my dad. He told me he wished he could have afforded a Henry when I was younger.

Who are the militia? They consist of the whole people, except for a few public officials.
-George Mason, Framer of the Declaration of Rights, Virginia, 1776 , which became the basis of the U.S. Bill of Rights

Old 05-27-2007, 03:50 PM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default What are Lever action Rifles used for?

Hello all

RON L here = SERESURPLUS

I'm Gonna quote my Dear old dad on this one! "I used them for any Dam thing I want", LOL That was dads POlite version of Yes, they are used in Hunting, the Range, for FUN, some target Pratice! Dad Had carried a Winchester or marlin behind the seat of his old truck for decades! In 30/30 he took more than his share of Deer and Pig! In later years he switched to 357 or 44 and used a revolver in thesame caliber as a companion gun! That never failed for him! He did not view handguns the way I did, He always said, a Handgun just gives ya long enough to get your real weapon, a rifle? Dad was very opinionated, But I loved the Old man and mostly he was right on many issues! He did like a Revolver better than an semi-auto but did like the 1911a1 as well the BHP, gave me one of each when I reached 21! He saw the lever action rifle for it's main benifits, Light, easy to shoot, clean and find ammo for! Compact enough for use in many different area's! Many in the South West have used and some still use the Lever action in patrol cars as a better weapon than a shotgun or handgun for some situations? While a dated design, yes they can be one that will fire Hi Velicity bullets, but most of those as Browning and a few others makes are not true lever actions! They are a Modified Bolt action with a lever? In shot, Use it for what works Best for ya, the Old man was right on this one!

RON L